Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jalen Suggs McDonalds All American

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    I dunno, as GU fans i just think we're not used to "this type" of uncertainty because of the caliber of the player. I think we should all agree it's generally a good problem to have.
    IF going pro is still a serious consideration for Suggs, the situation it puts Gonzaga in and uncertainty for 2020 recruiting is not actually normal. Very very few HS players from U.S. go directly to pros. Sure, there have been a few of late but to suggest this is a run of the mill blue blood hoops program situation isn’t the case imo.

I’m a fan of Jalen Suggs and wish him only the best but dude needs to make a firm decision and let it be known. Really screws Gonzaga over if in fact he decides to go pro st this point.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I think it’s very, very telling that Dom Harris has zero congratulatory tweets to Suggs about his selection.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Nice to have him but if he wants to go pro, he should be letting us know soon because we’ll need to find someone else. The other two are sufficient but the ethics of the situation are beginning to stink up the place if “Raise” is correct. I’m thinking Few knows all this.
    What ethics?

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    I think it’s very, very telling that Dom Harris has zero congratulatory tweets to Suggs about his selection.
    Dom's dad did congratulate Jalen though.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

I dunno, as GU fans i just think we're not used to "this type" of uncertainty because of the caliber of the player. I think we should all agree it's generally a good problem to have.
    Talk about extracting the tiniest crystal of Kool Aid from what appears to be a recruiting disaster for GU...

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    His parents understandably want what's best for his career as a pro. Playing at GU would do so much more for his long term goals then getting a little money out of country for a year. I'm sure his folks aren't stupid.
    Edit to add: Congrats Jalen!
    Daye was another one that needed to stay and money wasn't an issue as his parents were pretty stable financially BUT his parents were of the opinion that their son should leave for the NBA. Most of us felt/thought he should have stayed one more year to gain the maturity that we felt/thought he needed before going to the next level.

From what I'm reading in this thread, there seems to be a very strong indication that Jalen's parents are thinking he needs to start his professional basketball career next year and from reading this thread, IF his parents are pushing him towards going "PRO" then I don't blame them for wanting what THEY think is best for their son.

All this talk about Jalen bringing us to the promised land is purely a pipe dream...so if he doesn't come, then many on this board feel our chances of winning in 2021 have gone down the tubes.

My personal feeling is that if any of us were offered BIG money after high school to begin a career in a certain direction, we would all jump on it...when a door opens you have to make a decision before it closes as it may never open again!

We were in a position several times that if a player(s) would have remained in school one more year, we might well have been in the FF and possibly win an NC BUT those players (AM, KO,DS, BC and Rui) all left to begin their careers, which is what they were supposed to do. Yes as fans it does suck but that is life today...

I also would hope Jalen and his parents are keeping Coach Few informed about their decision, which might would allow him the opportunity to look elsewhere for other players...

I could well be wrong in my assumptions and IF I AM WRONG, I would hope that one or all of you would post just how wrong I "was" but I believe he is not coming to GU...

Logically, wouldn't the staff be looking for another guard if they really thought Jalen was a real risk for going pro? All the recruiting information here doesn't mention anything about another 2020 guard, only 2021 and beyond.

Of course, their plan could be to get another transfer if that's the case.... There was always going to be noise with his commitment.

With all due respect to Jalen and Zag fans ... this Zag fans feels a bit more concerned about what a commitment means. When commitments are broken, in basketball recruitment or whatever, they devalue what a commitment is supposed to be/mean. I’d just as soon it was termed something that identified the situation as a ‘conditional commitment’. Where you might have 2 (or more) conditional commitments for every ‘real commitment’. Where if 2 CCs both decide to be really committed (RCs) the school gets to pick one and the other has to find another school.
    Yeah, I’m being a bit harsh, etc. and this thread is about Suggs & McDonalds but I just can’t help but feel a bit protective of GU and the athletes who do commit to GU and buy into that commitment - hook, line, and sinker. I hope Jalen comes to GU. He appears all around to be a good catch and would make a great Zag. I just don’t like the fly in the ointment on his situation of possibly going pro before becoming a Zag.
    So, this fan doesn’t see it as a good problem. I see it as a situation that can lead to problems. Problems I’d rather not see any school have to deal with.
    So, as not to venture down the negative Nancy path too far this is my last post regarding Jalen until he’s either a real Zag or not.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I don't see anything wrong with what Suggs is doing here. If I was a McDonald's All-American level player I'd never sign an LOI. What's the benefit to the player? I get that us fans want players to ONLY consider coming to our teams and not tease us with possibilities of a national championship level squad next season if it isn't going to happen. I get that coaches don't want to lose kids to professional leagues, other sports, or other interests. I get that this is big business to universities and they want the certainty as well.

But if you are Suggs and his family you should be looking out for your/his future, not the universities, not the coaches, not the business of college basketball. At a certain point there will always be a school that holds a spot for you if you want to keep the NCAA route in mind. Gonzaga is apparently that team right now for Suggs (and Suggs may still sign an LOI). Gonzaga's job is to prove that the GU route is not only the best for the university, coaches and fans, but also the best for Suggs. I think GU has a lot of great arguments to make and that Suggs and his family would be making a major mistake by going overseas.

I don't see the benefit of signing an LOI for top level athletes. Never understood why they do it. There is an easy way to avoid this situation that doesn't question the ethics of the player (who is doing exactly what he should do - trying to maximize his career and life). The university doesn't have to recruit guys that are at a level that they don't have the leverage to get a firm commitment out of them. Problem solved if you are risk averse or don't care for uncertainty. Recruit three star guys who are happy to sign on the dotted line the moment they are allowed to do so.

I'm hoping Suggs has a great McD game. The amount of hype he and GU will get if he ends up here next year will be insane. He will be The Guy on a legitimate national championship level team and end up being a lottery pick and millionaire about 18 months from now. To me, he would need to be really desperate for cash now to turn that path down. But there is nothing unethical about holding out for the right job in the big business of Hoops.
    Last edited by mgadfly; 01-24-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Would you rather have a player of Suggs caliber say something like "If I'm going to play college basketball, I'll play it at GU" or not have the commitment at all?

It appears some people on this board would rather not have the commit at all because it introduces uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Talk about extracting the tiniest crystal of Kool Aid from what appears to be a recruiting disaster for GU...
    Mark Few is the Kool Aid. He just needs a cup of sugar to make a championship and Suggs is ….a quarter a cup. I thought THIS YEAR was going to be a guard play disaster for us, and somehow we're doing just fine. But ya, if it turns out we over relied on a verbal and it doesn't work out, sucks.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Would you rather have a player of Suggs caliber say something like "If I'm going to play college basketball, I'll play it at GU" or not have the commitment at all?

It appears some people on this board would rather not have the commit at all because it introduces uncertainty.
    Absolutely the former. It's still good PR for the program to land a commitment from a unanimous 5 star by outrecruiting every other NCAA team. It sends a signal to future five stars that this program truly is a destination worth considering.

I know it would feel like a hollow victory but GU has been built up to what it is one brick at a time.

Given how candid Jalen was during his interview, I have the complete confidence that the staff is 100% in the loop and likely views it the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    IF going pro is still a serious consideration for Suggs, the situation it puts Gonzaga in and uncertainty for 2020 recruiting is not actually normal. Very very few HS players from U.S. go directly to pros. Sure, there have been a few of late but to suggest this is a run of the mill blue blood hoops program situation isn’t the case imo.

I’m a fan of Jalen Suggs and wish him only the best but dude needs to make a firm decision and let it be known. Really screws Gonzaga over if in fact he decides to go pro st this point.
    This. We received a non-public verbal. GU did not recruit other (highly rated point guards) in return.

The effects of it are quite high and fairly irregular.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Logically, wouldn't the staff be looking for another guard if they really thought Jalen was a real risk for going pro? All the recruiting information here doesn't mention anything about another 2020 guard, only 2021 and beyond.

Of course, their plan could be to get another transfer if that's the case.... There was always going to be noise with his commitment.
    It’s too late in the game to get a good one for 2020. Grad transfer lottery now.

And school aside, congrats, Jalen. It’s a big honor and I’ll be cheering for ya.

One and Done guys are a mixed blessing, at best, IMHO. As an example, look at the Fuskies this year. Stewart appears to be a great teammate and is working really hard to help the Fuskies win. OTOH, McDaniels has been absolute poison at Montlake...............his "me first" attitude, laziness, and lack of intensity is killing them. He is clearly just sitting in the VIP lounge waiting to board the NBA jet after his layover in Seattle. Same with Tony Wroten a few years back. Be careful what you wish for..............

I really hope Suggs comes to GU, as I believe it would be beneficial to both him and GU. If he chooses not to, best of luck to him. Either way, the GU program will be fine.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    It’s too late in the game to get a good one for 2020. Grad transfer lottery now.
    Kids can still reclassify to 2020 & I have to imagine the staff always has some coal in the fire on the international front. (& perhaps they can launch a last second full court press on the Karim Mane if they think Suggs is actually gone)

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    One and Done guys are a mixed blessing, at best, IMHO. As an example, look at the Fuskies this year. Stewart appears to be a great teammate and is working really hard to help the Fuskies win. OTOH, McDaniels has been absolute poison at Montlake...............his "me first" attitude, laziness, and lack of intensity is killing them. He is clearly just sitting in the VIP lounge waiting to board the NBA jet after his layover in Seattle. Same with Tony Wroten a few years back. Be careful what you wish for..............
    I have the same thoughts regarding Stewart and McDaniels - I'd so much rather have Anton to root for than McDaniels.

In yet ANOTHER late game collapse last night (either 14 or 16 point lead late in the game) McDaniels committed a technical away from the ball (might have been after play stopped) by hitting someone with his arm. 2 FTs and the ball for Colorado. Next play, McDaniels fouls a 3pt shooter, who makes all 3, and McDaniels is out of the game. Even the radio guys were struggling to justify it. Passive voice description of the off-ball technical was something like "McDaniel's arm may have been made to have come down on (other player)'s head".

yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Kids can still reclassify to 2020 & I have to imagine the staff always has some coal in the fire on the international front. (& perhaps they can launch a last second full court press on the Karim Mane if they think Suggs is actually gone)
    Daishen Nix. I can’t get his name out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Daishen Nix. I can’t get his name out of my head.
    Committed to UCLA

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Committed to UCLA
    Yes, I know that part. There was interest from him but we thought we had a sure thing and, at least as I’ve been led to believe, did not prioritize him because of that.

I think Jalen will be with GU at least for 1 year. I don't there are a few HS kids who decided to play overseas and make money. Nowadays insurance policies are in vogue if a kid would get hurt. No matter. we have no influence. Deep breath comrades. What'll happen will happen. Best thing usually does. Love the kid but even the best laid plans and all that..................

There are very good indicators he is not coming. Jerry Meyer knows what hes talking about.. raisethezag says hes talked to parents of Minehaha his hs team, less and less posts about gonzaga from Jalen on social media. At this point I am just hopinh Ayayi sticks around to be our lead guard next year and we get another stud grad transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Big fan of Suggs, yet he's so going pro. At least according to his family.

I have remained hopeful yet talking with fellow parents of kids on Minnehaha Academy, teammates of Jalen, it doesnt sound good.

From Jalen's point of view, it seems great, he speaks fondly of playing for Gonzaga, alongside his friends, Julian and Dom. All seems on track.

Then, it comes to his parents. The people closest to them. They make it sound as if Gonzaga is their son's favorite team and nothing more. Not "if" but "when" they find the right fit/offer in NBL or ABL.

Clearly two very different tunes from Jalen himself to the parents.
    It is actually a friend of his that is pushing for him to go pro. And if you do some research, that guy is playing in Australia right now. Jalen's mother LOVES Gonzaga, and not just as a favorite school. She wants him to be a Zag. A lot of these "surrounding" people in Minnesota are just jealous and invent crap because they cannot keep so many of their big time players in state. One of them even suggested that Few paid Suggs to commit to GU. As if GU is going to engage in that sort of behavior when their athletics program finishes 1 or 2 in the APR rankings every year.

Not saying he won't go pro, but the offer is going to have to be unreal. But like others, I think he has more to gain by playing US college basketball than by collecting a small paycheck. I'd say the same thing is he had verbaled to Minnesota. It's not just about playing about Julian and Dom - it is about being on a top 3 team and national title contender. No way Zion earns a 100 mil shoe deal if he's just a name on a recruiting chart. When Zion was hurt, the ESPN scroller at the bottom of the screen referred to him as just "Zion". Not Zion Williamson. That only occurs when someone becomes a household name due to massive American TV and media exposure, plus the NCAA tourney. Some would say unfair American TV and media exposure......but college basketball makes these guys into known entities to NBA fans.
    Last edited by CDC84; 01-24-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Mark Few is the Kool Aid. He just needs a cup of sugar to make a championship and Suggs is ….a quarter a cup.
    OMG!!! I love this quote. hahahahahaha Most original idea I've seen on here in a long, long, long, long time. There has been so much talk about "Kool aid" over the years. I've always wondered who the "Kool Aid" is. Thanks for this idea, Krozman. If I'm ever accused of being a Kool Aid drinker again (I know I will be) I will merely laugh and be so proud to be cast as one of the Kool Aid drinkers.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!