Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Hunter Sallis

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Sounds like a good replacement for Ayayi.
    I think Ayayi is going to be a player that will be more talked about once he is gone and missed. He has grown in such a way you get use to it without really knowing its happening. I've said it before he's a ghost on the floor. Grabs a rebounds, makes passes, cuts and scores, deflects a pass, daggers a three without gathering attention. He's going to get hot and go off from three when we really need it. Hopfully in the tournament to secure the natty!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I think Ayayi is going to be a player that will be more talked about once he is gone and missed. He has grown in such a way you get use to it without really knowing its happening. I've said it before he's a ghost on the floor. Grabs a rebounds, makes passes, cuts and scores, deflects a pass, daggers a three without gathering attention. He's going to get hot and go off from three when we really need it. Hopfully in the tournament to secure the natty!!

Post of the year! Just in time, right before the deadline for submissions.

Love me some Ayayi. My favorite number is 11, and he's doing it amazing justice after Sabonis.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Sounds like a good replacement for Ayayi.
    very similar long and lean body type...much more explosive than ayayi

the seemingly continued insistence on wanting to visit uk baffles me though...

CAN GONZAGA PULL OFF CHET HOLMGREN AND HUNTER SALLIS?

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...mpression=true

Thanks for the link, dpg.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Why team recruiting rankings are dumb:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...mpression=true

Gonzaga isn’t going to be able to land the top recruiting class in the country if they are able to land current No.1 Chet Holmgren and No. 6 Hunter Sallis, they just won’t have the numbers. But they would have themselves a top five class in the country and the highest ranked duo of anybody in 2021.

Or as a prominent college basketball analyst put it, the greatest recruiting class in history is the year when UCLA landed Lew Alcindor and whoever else. Some players are so transcendent (like Kareem) that they can equal six 5 star recruits put together.

Also, if Chet Holmgren, Jalen Suggs and Hunter Sallis were European players six years ago, I'd place my bet that Tommy would land them over any coach. Even Calipari. He just has connections that no one else has. If 247 and other recruiting outlets are not scouting elite foreign kids who want to play US college ball, that is their issue. The plain truth is that it is easier - STILL - for Gonzaga to land elite foreign talent. When Tommy walks into the gym overseas, opposing coaches just leave.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post

The Ghost. Ever since reading your post, you using ghost to describe Ayayi, that now has become the perfect description I've heard of him. He appears out of nowhere to get rebounds, steals, offensive cuts to the rim, defensive help and disruption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCZ-DhaWKw

Which is more realistic, that Ayayi is an actual ghost, or that UW wins a national championship??

Are the insiders still confident it’s is over KY?

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Are the insiders still confident it’s is over KY?
    This breaks really badly UK's way with Gonzaga being his only official visit. Advantage Gonzaga with the momentum being in there favor and commitment date set. Expect those 247 crystal balls to shift as we get closer

March 26 is decision day: https://usatodayhss.com/2021/five-st...ommitment-date

With Joel shooting up the draft board, it is really critical to land Hunter to replace Joel so he can team with Nembhard.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

With Joel shooting up the draft board, it is really critical to land Hunter to replace Joel so he can team with Nembhard.
    CDC - I hope we land Hunter too. He would be huge for the program when we lose Ayayi. My question to you is this - is he as ready to step into the starting lineup as Suggs was? Suggs played a very high level of competition to take the next step to the college level. The step up was not that great for him. Has Hunter done the same? Does Hunter start in his freshman year over the sophomore Dom? Great dilemma to have if we are fortunate enough to land Sallis.

Starting 5 next year assuming we land Sallis and Chet.
    Nembhard
    Harris or Sallis?
    Holmgren
    Watson
    Timme

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

You really think Nembhard is sticking around CDC? Put his name in the draft last year.

Did anyone else know that James Harden is Hunter Sallis’ cousin?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....-hunter-sallis

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    You really think Nembhard is sticking around CDC? Put his name in the draft last year.
    He was planning on redshirting this season and playing next, I dont think his plan has changed. I think he wants a year to start and run this offense before he goes to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    He was planning on redshirting this season and playing next, I dont think his plan has changed. I think he wants a year to start and run this offense before he goes to the NBA.
    - plus the number 1 part of his game he needs to improve upon is his outside shooting. i think he really needs another year to work on that. 35% from college 3 point range is not going to cut it. he needs to show a full year of shooting over 40%. with hard work i think he can do it.

I think Nembhard just put his name in the draft to test the waters. You might as well. It cannot hurt. Staying around would allow him to showcase his talents as a PG more and improve during the offseason. Has anyone seen Nembhard on a reputable mock list? I mean, I don't want to say never. Who saw Zach Collins coming out after his freshman year. March Madness can change things. Players can also make ill-advised decisions.

Sallis is the #6 player in the nation, and Harris and Strawther have hardly seen the floor this year for GU. It's not like they will be experienced players next year who have proven anything. I know Marvin Williams came off the bench for that UNC title team, but it is extremely, I mean extremely rare to see top 10 players not start their freshman year. Harris and Strawther strike me as kids who will be really good but need more development. Nothing wrong with that. It could lead to Kispert being a lottery pick.

Regardless, the Zags just need a really good combo guard, and Sallis fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    CDC - I hope we land Hunter too. He would be huge for the program when we lose Ayayi. My question to you is this - is he as ready to step into the starting lineup as Suggs was? Suggs played a very high level of competition to take the next step to the college level. The step up was not that great for him. Has Hunter done the same? Does Hunter start in his freshman year over the sophomore Dom? Great dilemma to have if we are fortunate enough to land Sallis.

Starting 5 next year assuming we land Sallis and Chet.
    Nembhard
    Harris or Sallis?
    Holmgren
    Watson
    Timme
    Not sure those three guards will be sufficient...just guessing but think Cook might well return then the starting line-up might be
    Cook
    Nembhard
    Holmgren
    Watson/Perry
    Timme

With Sallis, Harris, Strawther and either Perry or Watson coming off the bench.

With Perry and Timme in the game at the same time, then you have the makings of a solid hi-low game with Perry on top and Timme down low or the reverse

Why do people continue it make projected starting lineups without Watson in it? I can't remember Few ever not starting an upper classman who was a starter the prior year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Not sure those three guards will be sufficient...just guessing but think Cook might well return then the starting line-up might be
    Cook
    Nembhard
    Holmgren
    Watson/Perry
    Timme

With Sallis, Harris, Strawther and either Perry or Watson coming off the bench.

With Perry and Timme in the game at the same time, then you have the makings of a solid hi-low game with Perry on top and Timme down low or the reverse
    Hunter Sallis is not coming to Gonzaga to play behind Cook. I mean there’s zero chance of that. I think members on this board tend to underrate the top recruits in the country. These guys step in and start from day 1 with few exceptions. Cook is shooting like 19% from 3 and 50% from the line. He’s not playing over Sallis.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    I can't remember Few ever not starting an upper classman who was a starter the prior year.
    Zach Gourde

one thing to note about sallis if he comes...he's an incredible athlete but he's not as physically ready for the next level like suggs, which means there might be more of an adjustment period. bj boston is a similar player and has really struggled with his lack of strength, though the zag system will make it easier to adapt compared to uk.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Hunter Sallis is not coming to Gonzaga to play behind Cook. I mean there’s zero chance of that. I think members on this board tend to underrate the top recruits in the country. These guys step in and start from day 1 with few exceptions. Cook is shooting like 19% from 3 and 50% from the line. He’s not playing over Sallis.
    IMO Suggs is head and shoulders above Sallis...no real comparison! Why! Football: Suggs is physical, contact doesn't bother him, his defencive instincts are so keen, and his passing skills are immeasurable. No doubt Sallis is a very talented high school basketball player but when/if he choses GU and arrives and begins play/practicing he will have a tremendous amount to learn. No one knows how long it will take him to adjust and learn Coach Few's system. Cook was a very effective PG at SIU and his role at GU changed as soon as Nembhard became eligible. Don't forget he was the 3rd guard in GU's system and his PT, which he would of had, went to Nembhard...also he was playing injured for a number of games.

First off, Cook may decide to bolt and go play somewhere in Europe, China, etc. BUT if Cook does return he will have four years of D1 experience and one full year in Coach Few's system. Whether he starts will be up to Sallis making the transition to D1 and Coach Few's intricate system.

These are just my opinions, from my perspective and these are all hypothetical...no one really knows what tomorrow will bring let alone what will happen nine months from now!

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    one thing to note about sallis if he comes...he's an incredible athlete but he's not as physically ready for the next level like suggs, which means there might be more of an adjustment period. bj boston is a similar player and has really struggled with his lack of strength, though the zag system will make it easier to adapt compared to uk.
    I don't see Coach Few recruiting a player like Boston. He is a me first player, who has few basketball skills. He was an aau superstar, which doesn't mean that he can all of a sudden change his whole style and fit into a team concept, which he has not at Kentucky. I don't believe that Coach Few would have recruiting Sallis if he were a Boston type of player. That is where Coach Few's strength is, he can spot and recruit players that fit into the Gonzaga system. I don't see coach Few recruiting a Boston type player, no matter how high he is rated.