Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Hunter Sallis

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Here is what I KNOW about the kid (and I will be honest ... I haven’t opened a single link).

He (ie Hunter) “recruited” us. Insisted on visiting. After the heavy push (and a little homework) the “Interest” became mutual.

There’s a good chance this guy was born to be a Zag. And we didn’t know until he told us.
    Wow....

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Here is what I KNOW about the kid (and I will be honest ... I haven’t opened a single link).

He (ie Hunter) “recruited” us. Insisted on visiting. After the heavy push (and a little homework) the “Interest” became mutual.

There’s a good chance this guy was born to be a Zag. And we didn’t know until he told us.
    So he's probably coming for the Tacos

That’s awesome

Hunter is the real deal. He’d be a major coup. But his suitors are many and it won’t be easy.

GU, in my opinion, is his best destination, and I think he’d excel here (and win a natty).

Pulled a Jeremy Jones eh?? .... Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Hunter is the real deal. He’d be a major coup. But his suitors are many and it won’t be easy.

GU, in my opinion, is his best destination, and I think he’d excel here (and win a natty).
    It wouldn't surprise me if he already committed to GU. JMO

Jalen Suggs committed on his visit.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if he already committed to GU. JMO

Jalen Suggs committed on his visit.
    Didn't someone just say he's planning on taking a trip to Louisville this month? Doesn't seem like he would have committed yet, unless he's milking the official visits.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Didn't someone just say he's planning on taking a trip to Louisville this month? Doesn't seem like he would have committed yet, unless he's milking the official visits.
    The quote in the article: “I’m supposed to visit Louisville sometime this month, but that’s it for now.”

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Good point, maybe he commits after his visit to Louisville. I really like what GoZags had to say about him. Born to be a Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Good point, maybe he commits after his visit to Louisville. I really like what GoZags had to say about him. Born to be a Zag.
    From what I have heard he is he most likely to become a Zag out of all our prospects for 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    From what I have heard he is he most likely to become a Zag out of all our prospects for 2021.
    I wouldn't say most likely, but just as likely as there are a handful of others we are in great position on too, and probably the next to commit. Zags really like him and Hunter and family really like Gonzaga.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I wouldn't say most likely, but just as likely as there are a handful of others we are in great position on too, and probably the next to commit. Zags really like him and Hunter and family really like Gonzaga.
    Exciting & hopeful news. When might verbal commitments start happening for 2021?

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Exciting & hopeful news. When might verbal commitments start happening for 2021?

:]
    It's still early remember Julian was after the National Title game last year. Dom and Kaden are rare!

Inside The Kennel
    @InsideTheKennel
    ·
    4h
    Omaha is slowly becoming a second home for Gonzaga...the staff will be in Nebraska for the 3rd time in 2020 to watch 2021 priority recruit,
    @HunterSallis_
    , later today.

Hey all, I was lucky enough to sneak into a sold out venue last night to watch Hunter in person. MAN, this kid is good. However, he was a much different player than I anticipated, and I wanted to share a quick self-scout with you all.

First of all, I was a little surprised at this point he is not an elite level athlete, at least when it comes to explosiveness. His first step, while really good, is not what I would expect from a 5 star recruit. Same for his bounce/vertical. However, he has unreal length and uses it efficiently. Multiples, coaches that were scouting mentioned he looked like an alien with his movements. He covers a TON of ground with dribble moves. His handles aren't super tight but they are good for a junior and with dedication can be great. He reminds me of SGA for the Thunder. Just a really smooth athlete that understands angles well.

He has a SILKY smooth pull up jumper. Damn near automatic. However, I worry about him getting it off at the next level. He has an extremely slow release. Multiple times, he went up for jump shots and had to alter to a pass in mid air because the defender had recovered and contested so quickly. If he can get his mid range off at the next level, watch out.

One thing that I was really impressed with was his ability to play within himself and the team. He was 12 of 18 and honestly I didn't count one force or bad shot. He made a ton of good reads and seemed to always know where to go with the ball. He was not flashy or showy and instead really deferred to his teammates until late in the game, but still ended up with a very quiet 28 points.

As of right now, he is not a 1 and done guy. He needs to bulk up for sure, particularly his base. But man he is a blank canvas. With the right coaching and dedication, he has lottery pick written all over him. I would be absolutely ecstatic to see this guy in a Zag uni.

Thanks for the first hand, Leighton.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Would you compare him to Ayayi? Based on your description, that is who it sounded like to me.

I think they are very similar in their approach and effect on a game, but each do it in a much different manner. Sallis has the ability to really play above the rim, which we haven't seen much from Joel. I think Joel has tighter handles at the moment but Sallis has WAAAY more wiggle with his dribble. He can break you down from anywhere and get himself a look. Similar passers from what I noticed. Very cerebral in the pick and roll and more often than not, made the right play/read.

One thing I didn't see from Sallis last night was any sort of an in between game (runners, leaners, floaters) which he will need at the next level. When he gets inside the 3 point, he is looking for his pull up which is absolutely ELITE level. Automatic if he gets to his spot cleanly.

There’s some good highlight stuff of his on Twitter. He looks more explosive than Ayayi, with put back dunks and dunks in traffic. The shot is similar due to the long arms. He looks like a good player. He seems really long and doesn’t need to be super quick with his feet to get past his guy because he covers so much ground; on one play he dribbled left but had to start with the right foot because his left foot was his pivot foot and he still dunked on the guy

Thanks for the perspective from seeing him live, Leighton. He sounds and looks very good— and has a new take on Zag hair, to boot.

Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    1m
    Source: Kansas will host five-star junior Hunter Sallis for an unofficial visit on Wednesday. Jayhawks have targeted him for months.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    1m
    Source: Kansas will host five-star junior Hunter Sallis for an unofficial visit on Wednesday. Jayhawks have targeted him for months.
    We will see or have seen Sallis this week as well. This stretch of days off is great as it gives our staff time to get out and recruit while the power 5 type conferences are still playing. Our staff will have a big week of recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    1m
    In the past, it would have been time to pack up and move on, in my mind, once a team like kansas got involved. I feel like we still have a chance these days. There's always the pay-to-play thing, which Kansas was implicated pretty strongly in, so that's an another variable to worry about. It would be rude and unfair for me to assume that any particular player wants to get involved in that sort of stuff, however

I still really like where we stand with Hunter and honestly Kansas does not scare me like they used to in recruiting. One school I would watch out for is actually Creighton.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I still really like where we stand with Hunter and honestly Kansas does not scare me like they used to in recruiting. One school I would watch out for is actually Creighton.
    That would make sense. In his hometown, Big East school, very solid program with usually a very good offense. Doesn't Creighton have some discipline coming from the FBI investigation too.