Boise State sues the MWC (might want in the WCC as an 11th member?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tetonka Test
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2013

Boise State sues the MWC (might want in the WCC as an 11th member?)

Looks like Boise State is unhappy with the MWC, and has sued the conference. MWC is trying to renege on a deal to pay Boise it's TV contract money.

Not sure if the WCC would agree to add an 11th, public school (similar to the Big East recently doing that).

Thoughts on this? And did Gonzaga dodge a bullet by rejecting the MWC and staying in the WCC?
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

No chance, IMO. It would be hard for their football program to go independent. Many feel BYU made a mistake, and their national brand/support from the church is quite high.

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Not a good fit academically or school profile (plus football)

But it would be a great city/state to add to the WCC, and a competitive bb program (usually).
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
        Banned
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
        No chance, IMO. It would be hard for their football program to go independent. Many feel BYU made a mistake, and their national brand/support from the church is quite high.
        The football program would be a roadblock, but I would welcome them as a basketball member. Minimal travel on either end, and Taco Bell Arena is a fun place to go to.

EDIT: actually, I could see Taco Bell Arena completely over-run with Zags fans if this came to fruition. So I don't see a down side in having an extra home game.

Comment

• zagamatic
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2009

Just my opinion, but if they were to go shopping for a new conference, I'm guessing that it be to the PAC13 / PAC14 if they decide to add another school to keep traveling partners equal. Perhaps them and BYU, go together?

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

BYU and Boise state to Pac-12, that would make sense to me.

Comment

• Ladyzag12
              Kennel Club Material
              • Mar 2019

Pac-12 will never let BYU into the conference.

Comment

• spike_jr
                Banned
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                Nor is BSU in the same academic universe as the PAC-12. I do not see either as good candidates for the PAC

Comment

• gobroncsgozags
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Mar 2008

Yeah, PAC12-14 isn't going to happen for BYU or BSU. BSU, while having jumped up a couple levels in three years to Carnegie R2 classification, still has a ways to go. The trajectory is really good though.

I could see that this may ulimately result in a western division of a AAC, with a few other members from the MWC.

And yes, Gonzaga did dodge a bullet. The conference commissioner, as you may remember from GU's negotiations, is a complete tool. The best thing that could come of all this would be for him to finally lose his job.

As a graduate of both GU and BSU, I would have loved to have GU in the MWC. But, really it has worked out well. Maybe in the AAC West with BSU, SDSU, BYU (Olympic sports), UNLV, etc. A guy can dream at least...

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                    I agree with you, but it would make sense, But most people in charge of this kind of stuff have no common sense. Politics rule almost every thing these days and common sense does not enter into the equasion.

Comment

• seacatfan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2014

Why would Boise St. hitch themselves to the sinking ship that is the AAC? Every single school in that conference wants out and will jump at the first opportunity to do so. I can't see any sense in this.

The proposed Western Division of the Big East (before it collapsed) seemed like a bad idea back then, a Western Division of the AAC is an even worse idea.

Comment

• seacatfan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2014

I think BYU being religiously affiliated probably will keep them out of consideration for the Pac 12.

Utah and Colorado took quite a while to adjust to the Pac 12. I think overall they've added value, but some of their athletic programs are still well behind. I would have a hard time seeing the Pac expand, and if it does it wouldn't be for schools like Boise St. and BYU. They had a pipe dream of adding Texas years ago. I can only see them expanding if they got a marquee name with deep pockets like that.

Comment

• gobroncsgozags
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                          Why would Boise St. hitch themselves to the sinking ship that is the AAC? Every single school in that conference wants out and will jump at the first opportunity to do so. I can't see any sense in this.

The proposed Western Division of the Big East (before it collapsed) seemed like a bad idea back then, a Western Division of the AAC is an even worse idea.

I don't think they would unless they didn't have a choice after all this. Originally, it was for BCS inclusion, but that blew up. But, the AAC teams are no different than the MWC in terms of every one of them wanting out. The difference being that many of the teams in the AAC are in a much better place to do so... nearer to population centers, better facilities, stronger fanbases, donors, etc. Most of the MWC teams have shown little ability and relatively little interest ($$$) to get better, much like the WCC.

Personally, I like being in an actual western conference. The teams aren't all that, but there are some budding rivalries for BSU after Idaho finally died off. It just makes sense. I only wish that the conference could string together a couple years of beating out the AAC and get some momentum in the programs.

It really won't come to fruition, but a true western division of the AAC wouldn't be that bad depending on the circumstances and would actually be relatively stable. Cut the dregs of the current conference loose and take the ones that have at least shown some sort of commitment or potential. Who knows, the AAC might even get thrown a bone IF/when the "playoff" gets expanded, being the clear cut "best of the rest" conference. If nothing else, it would kill the remaining conferences, which I am convinced the P5 wants to do. Take an additional 14 teams in to kill the remaining 50... maybe.

Just as likely though is that the P5 will consolidate further, picking off teams from the ACC, and BSU will be left to wither in whatever division there will be between "big time football" and FCS.

Comment

• gobroncsgozags
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                            I think BYU being religiously affiliated probably will keep them out of consideration for the Pac 12.

Utah and Colorado took quite a while to adjust to the Pac 12. I think overall they've added value, but some of their athletic programs are still well behind. I would have a hard time seeing the Pac expand, and if it does it wouldn't be for schools like Boise St. and BYU. They had a pipe dream of adding Texas years ago. I can only see them expanding if they got a marquee name with deep pockets like that.
                            Yeah, they seem quite content at 12. You are absolutely right, expansion won't be for anyone besides a big name, but they are delusional to think any of them will jump at the chance unless something completely blows up.

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
                              Yeah, they seem quite content at 12. You are absolutely right, expansion won't be for anyone besides a big name, but they are delusional to think any of them will jump at the chance unless something completely blows up.
                              I'm not sure how close they got to getting Texas. That was a LONG time ago in terms of how much the landscape has changed. Back then they might've been in a good position. Now they've fallen behind all the other P5 conferences in the money sports. Yeah I can't see them prying anyone significant away from any of the other conferences. Too many years of Larry Scott running them into the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X