Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Lower Back Pain

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,203

    Default Lower Back Pain

    Seems to be a right of passage as one gets older, and as I am knocking on the door of 50, I went through a bad period.

    I got through it with just self-stretching, NSAIDS and heat/ice.

    But as soon as I got through the pain, I set about prevention.

    I have found nothing better than leg lifts. Lying straight on a hard floor, lifting heels above the ground six inches and holding them there till tiring (won't take long at first). After a few days of that, I added scissor kicks in, keeping each heel inches above the floor, but extending one leg up about 3 feet slowly, then letting down slowly.

    After I gained some strength, I added push-ups, concentrating totally on form, and not total number, never jerking or pushing, just perfect slow form.

    After just 3 weeks (new years resolution) I feel much much stronger in my core, and have had no back issues since.

    Any other ideas that I am missing?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    This sounds simple but, always concentrate on proper lifting no matter how light the item is. That includes your daughter and your dogs.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Seems to be a right of passage as one gets older, and as I am knocking on the door of 50, I went through a bad period.

    I got through it with just self-stretching, NSAIDS and heat/ice.

    But as soon as I got through the pain, I set about prevention.

    I have found nothing better than leg lifts. Lying straight on a hard floor, lifting heels above the ground six inches and holding them there till tiring (won't take long at first). After a few days of that, I added scissor kicks in, keeping each heel inches above the floor, but extending one leg up about 3 feet slowly, then letting down slowly.

    After I gained some strength, I added push-ups, concentrating totally on form, and not total number, never jerking or pushing, just perfect slow form.

    After just 3 weeks (new years resolution) I feel much much stronger in my core, and have had no back issues since.

    Any other ideas that I am missing?
    I have read, but not really been able to verify, that regular and vigorous sex manipulates the muscles,both core and back, sufficiently to help keep the problem at bay.

    And by sex, I mean two...never mind.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Seems to be a right of passage as one gets older, and as I am knocking on the door of 50, I went through a bad period.

    I got through it with just self-stretching, NSAIDS and heat/ice.

    But as soon as I got through the pain, I set about prevention.

    I have found nothing better than leg lifts. Lying straight on a hard floor, lifting heels above the ground six inches and holding them there till tiring (won't take long at first). After a few days of that, I added scissor kicks in, keeping each heel inches above the floor, but extending one leg up about 3 feet slowly, then letting down slowly.

    After I gained some strength, I added push-ups, concentrating totally on form, and not total number, never jerking or pushing, just perfect slow form.

    After just 3 weeks (new years resolution) I feel much much stronger in my core, and have had no back issues since.

    Any other ideas that I am missing?
    Bellydance has helped me tremendously. I started taking classes while I was pregnant with my youngest (I know that's about the weirdest time to pick up a dance class that emphasizes ones midriff), I avoided the lower back/hip pain I had with my older two.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    Bellydance has helped me tremendously. I started taking classes while I was pregnant with my youngest (I know that's about the weirdest time to pick up a dance class that emphasizes ones midriff), I avoided the lower back/hip pain I had with my older two.
    I think anything that really strengthens the core muscles helps a great deal, along with stretching, obviously.

    I am glad it worked for you, but I promise you that no one wants to see me bellydance, including myself.

    Dance in general is a great way to gain strength. I have often thought that if I was a basketball coach, I might encourage the players to take a couple ballet classes, for balance and strength. No, I am not kidding about that. I know they do Yoga, so they get some of the same benefit.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I think anything that really strengthens the core muscles helps a great deal, along with stretching, obviously.

    I am glad it worked for you, but I promise you that no one wants to see me bellydance, including myself.

    Dance in general is a great way to gain strength. I have often thought that if I was a basketball coach, I might encourage the players to take a couple ballet classes, for balance and strength. No, I am not kidding about that. I know they do Yoga, so they get some of the same benefit.
    Gene Kelly did a series of the similarities of dance to different sports (I think in the 50s or 60s, I forget which basketball players of the era he had involved in it). And of course there was Lynn Swann (who appeared on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood doing ballet).
    I had no dance background, but decided to take it for the stretching, yoga is far too "in your head" for me to do. I won't lie, there are definitely things we learn in class where I have to think of it in athletic terms. We're 2 weeks into learning a choreography right now and I absolutely need to learn to do the one move gracefully because all I can think of it as right now is "grab a rebound and pivot...grab a rebound and pivot in the opposite direction."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •