Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #13/11 Gonzaga Hosts Pepperdine Thursday at 6pm

This is the headline of the article for the Gonzaga vs. Pepperdine game recap on the Pepperdine Athletics website:

Fecske Joins 1,000 Point Club

my brief impressions.......

nice crowd for a miserable rainy night....

got there early to park and a whole section was roped off for Vips??????...what?.....

Jill T scored the first 9 points.....

Jen had NO points at the half, but several rebounds.......yet she was the first to get her double double.....Jill next and finally Katie on that sort of rebound towards the end......glad they gave it to her......the crowd seemed to realize the efforts on getting the double doubles, at least our section did, and gave the girls much deserved applause....

Gillian got a couple of rebounds plus her FIRST POINTS.....YEAH.......

Pepp just shot poorly ....so many of their shots would spin out of the basket...both ends.....

we had good defense though for the most part...

CLF had good rotations .....she brought in lou and ava early and even Gillian got in in the first half....

Mel started and did a fine job.....and if there were any doubts about the "other" Truong twin, they have been erased......good recruiting CLF......

good good win.......going to miss this team......thankfully we've got some more games.....

Another great defensive win...

It was a great call this week, with the injuries, to push the shut down “D”...

Hope LW and K11 heal soon... we need them. But, like CLF said, there was a positive to look at. More time for the bench to get comfortable with D-1 ball. In a couple of games we have seen K14 become a very good bench player. AV needs more time but is showing improvement. And GB getting something more than a minute at the end was great for her and the team. The smile on K14 after feeding GB for a basket said it all...

All I can say is we have a team of gamers...

Rest and get ready for LMU. One game at a time.

Go Zags!!

I know I'm probably alone on this but I think Ava is coming along very well....more aggressive....working up a sweat......she's going to be very good...

about the Pepp. headline about Feske....why not tout the accomplishments of a player?.....afterall, the winning is great but I think we also celebrate the individuals in the game. So good on her...

First, a couple of acknowledgements.

Congrats to Jessie for passing Carla Curfman and moving up to 6th place on the all-time assist leaders list. She is only a couple of assists short of passing Jazzy Redmond for fifth place on the all-time assist leaders list.

Congrats to Paige Fecske for passing the 1,000 career point mark. This is a great accomplishment for Paige.

Did anybody else notice that Paige played very little in the 2nd half of the yesterday's game? Coach's choice or injury? Seems strange that one of your prime players does not play in the 2nd half, but then the game was essentially out of reach at that point.

As far as the game is concerned, it one of the team's more complete games. Did not quit playing with 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter when running clock.

There were some interesting items contained in the stats. Despite the rugby scrums under the hoop at both ends of the court when fighting for rebounds, only 23 (total for both teams) personnel fouls were called and a total of 15 (total for both teams) foul shots where take, 8 by Gonzaga and 7 by Pepperdine. The refs certainly let the teams fight it out under the hoop.

For the 2nd game in a row, the Lady Zags did not take a free throw in either the 2nd or 3rd quarter.

The game definitely was played at Pepperdine's pace as Pepperdine just about took 65 shots yesterday, just barely under their average number of shots per game. The lady zags were right there yesterday taking 64 shots which is almost 10 more shots than we take in an average game.

Despite being down a starter and our first substitute guard, the starters only played a couple of more minutes than usual lead by MK with 30 minutes. K-14, LF and AV all got significantly more minutes than usual and GB not only got more minutes but she played during the game when the game was still in doubt. CLF had players playing out of position and she rotated her available players very well. The lady zags, no matter who was on the court, played their hearts out and despite the occasional missed switch and errant pass (all expected with new players and players playing out of position) carried out the game plan very well. Great job by all involved.

While K-11 is certainly more polished at running the offense, K-14 is actually the better shooter of the twins and she proved it again yesterday going 3-4 overall and 1-1 from 3 point range. Given a little more court time, I think her running of the offense will be right up their with her sisters. AV is getting more comfortable being on the court. She is still a step or two behind, but she is improving every week. It was really nice to see how she impacted the shots of the Pepperdine guards who dared get to the key. She came up with 9 rebounds, 4 of which were offensive rebounds was good to see. While her offense is a work in progress, it was nice to see her take the ball to the hoop even if she missed the shot. Message to AV, when you are in the key, you don't need to dribble or bring the ball down, simply take 2 steps to the hoop and put the ball up. Your doing great, keep improving and your PT will go up.

Great Job Ladies. Let's duplicate it on Saturday and let LW and K-11 heal up. We will need them next week.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

From the Spokesman-Review:

Shorthanded Gonzaga women show no signs of slowing in rout of Pepperdine
    UPDATED: Thu., Jan. 23, 2020

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

Even with two key players out with injuries, Gonzaga was never out of its depth Thursday night. As starting forward LeeAnne Wirth and backup point guard Kayleigh Truong nursed minor ankle injuries, the rest of the Zags picked up the slack – and then some – in a 70-36 West Coast Conference romp over Pepperdine at the McCarthey Athletic Center. Mostly, they did so with defense, holding the Waves to 21% shooting and the fewest points scored by a GU opponent this year. The Zags also pulled down 25 more rebounds than Pepperdine as three players finished with double-doubles.

“That’s what we did, beat them up on defense and destroy them on offense,” said Melody Kempton, who made her first collegiate start as the 13th-ranked Zags improved to 19-1, the best 20-game start in program history.
    Wirth and Truong are day-to-day with injuries suffered earlier this week in practice, coach Lisa Fortier said. Either could return as soon as next week. “We still don’t know when, but hopefully soon,” Fortier said.

While injuries are seldom timely, it’s only January. The last time Gonzaga was in this situation came last March, when Jill Townsend and former GU star Laura Stockton were sidelined for the WCC title game. That one cost the Zags dearly, perhaps the chance to host first- and second-round NCAA Tournament games. No so this time. Even with star forward Jenn Wirth being held scoreless in the first half, GU had no problems against the Waves (9-9, 3-5).

“We wanted to some out strong right away,” said Townsend, who did just that. In the opening minutes, Townsend hit two free throws, grabbed two boards and drained a 3-pointer to give GU and early 9-0 lead.
    Pepperdine pulled to within 10-7, but the Zags reeled off 10 straight points to take a 20-7 lead after the first quarter. Holding the Waves to 22% shooting in the first half, the Zags shot 40% to lead 37-18 at intermission.

Things got out of hand in the third quarter, as GU continued to clamp down on the Pepperdine shooters. Heavily reliant on the 3-point shot, the Waves finished 4 for 20 from beyond the arc and fell behind 56-26. The one-sided affair meant some shining moments and more minutes for several players. The biggest was Kempton, the former Post Falls star and Idaho Player of the Year.

“I wanted to play my best,” said Kempton, who had 12 points and six boards while playing almost 30 minutes. “I feel like I have a lot of energy, but it’s totally different when you start.”

The absence of LeeAnne Wirth also meant big minutes – a career-high 18 – for backup post AnaMaria Virjoghe, who totaled nine boards and three points. It was the same story in the backcourt, where Louise Forsyth and Kaylynne Truong each played 20-minutes plus.

“I think it’s great that we can win games and not go down to the wire with those guys out,” Fortier said. “It allows us to build some confidence as coaches, as teammates, and as individuals. “I would rather be healthy, but there are always positive ways to look at things like this.”

Townsend led the way with 10 rebounds and a game-high 18 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Jenn Wirth also had a double-double with 10 board and 10 points after being shut out in the first half. The most improbable double-double came from Campbell, who had scrapped for 12 points and nine boards as the game was winding down. As Campbell was coming off the court, the coaches saw the stats and sent her back out. Seconds before the final buzzer, Campbell snagged a long rebound to earn her first collegiate double-double.

“That was a lot of fun,” Campbell said.

The Zags are home again Saturday against Loyola Marymount. Tipoff is at 1 p.m. – an hour earlier than usual as GU also will host a men’s game that night.
    Article Link with a gallery of pictures: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ns-of-slowing/

ZagDad

With the victory yesterday, the Lady Zags have the longest winning streak in the country at 17 "Ws" in a row. Congratulations ladies, a well earned accolade.

Here is a link to the GU photo gallery with a few shots of yesterday's game: https://gozags.com/galleries/womens-...pepperdine/809

ZagDad

“We came out, right from the punch,” junior guard Jill Townsend said after the game. “That was our first key coming into the game was to throw the first punch. I thought we executed that.”

I think Townie came out punching plenty! At the end of the 1st Townie 9 - Waves 7