Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why were students dressed as Chefs at the BYU game?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Until I stop hearing the Marriott Center fans loudly booing the referees for every single foul call on their Cougars (it happens at no other college arena), even when a BYU football player is brought in off the pine to hit our All American center so hard that it almost caused a concussion, I have very little sympathy for some of them getting offended over something they are likely misunderstanding. My dad, who worked (and still works in a part-time, post-retirement capacity) at UNM witnessed some of the worst fan behavior ever from Cougar fans when BYU was in the MWC. Both at The Pit, the Marriott Center and at the MWC Tourney. It's NOT all their fans, but far too many of them.
    That foul seems to be a point of pride for some in that fanbase. Strange because they lost that game. Kaufusi was generally a bad basketball player too, and Olynyk is playing out a $40 MM deal. Their narrative is truly bizarre.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=23038942

The poor snowflakes that found some way to be offended by this have deeper issues than I thought.

If you spend more than two seconds trying to ponder what this all means, than ponder that there is nothing to ponder about.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    That foul seems to be a point of pride for some in that fanbase. Strange because they lost that game. Kaufusi was generally a bad basketball player too, and Olynyk is playing out a $40 MM deal. Their narrative is truly bizarre.

This was in a BYU publication shortly after that game. (sorry it's not a 100 percent perfect pic ... I'm not paying the photobucket gang)

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I guess they finally looked at the picture? It is entirely one of our poster's fault for putting it at issue, but I'm also a little entertained at how easy it was to stir up that controversy.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=23044295

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    On a related note, what is with the banana costumes I see at games? not just GU games but all across the US.
    They're a peeling ?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    They're a peeling ?
    You're heading down a slippery slope!
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Eh, made for some fun back and forth. I have a weird combo of being a BYU alum plus a Gonzaga fan plus an exmormon. Some exmormons use the chef hat to make memes mocking LDS temple rituals but it sure seems like most of the faithful ones aren't aware of it. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the students and a few people on their board definitely brought it up during the game so I figured I would go over and clarify in case people were upset. Turns out they weren't but oh well, I had good intentions. Interestingly enough I got quite a few private messages over there thanking me for clarifying and apologizing for how others had taken it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I guess they finally looked at the picture? It is entirely one of our poster's fault for putting it at issue, but I'm also a little entertained at how easy it was to stir up that controversy.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=23044295

People are so easily offended these days. I wish everyone would lighten up. Kids are kids and they like to get on Jumbotron. I don't think there is any malice here.

Does Gonzaga have culinary arts?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Just one guy that I know of.

Culinary Art.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Oh man...you old heads are too funny. Cooking is a slang term.....per urban dictionary....

to put someone in their place, i.e. in athletic matches where and skill talent and brawn are tested.

ie.....Adam Morrison was cookin against Ok St in the battle in Seattle...

Get it?

Chefs...cookin...zags be cookin!

the byu folks seemed more concerned that a zag fan was over there posting than they were with the actual chef situation, hahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    There were some provoking creations dished out at the COG back in the day...
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Home cooking!

Quote Originally Posted by Pargo the Destroyer View Post
    Oh man...you old heads are too funny. Cooking is a slang term.....per urban dictionary....

to put someone in their place, i.e. in athletic matches where and skill talent and brawn are tested.

ie.....Adam Morrison was cookin against Ok St in the battle in Seattle...

Get it?

Chefs...cookin...zags be cookin!
    In that sense, cooking / cookin' is actually a old term...probably older than the "old heads..." It's related to "Now we're cookin' with gas"

Not often is something new, it often gets recycled.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Some exmormons use the chef hat to make memes mocking LDS temple rituals but it sure seems like most of the faithful ones aren't aware of it. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the students and a few people on their board definitely brought it up during the game so I figured I would go over and clarify in case people were upset.
    That is some very inside baseball that even I, as a Utah native, was not aware of. Thank you for trying to represent us well, and for the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    On a related note, what is with the banana costumes I see at games? not just GU games but all across the US.
    I'm quite sure I don't know.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    There were some provoking creations dished out at the COG back in the day...
    And then there was the international section, which I believe was called primos. The menu options changed frequently and yet it always tasted the same. It always lacked even the most basic form of seasoning.

(Or was primos the name of the Italian restaurant below the cog?)

Anyways, Whitworth students would occasionally visit, and they claimed our food and options were much superior to what they received.

But I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Just one guy that I know of.

Culinary Art.
    Laughin' like hell at this! Conan O'brien would have paid you big $$$$ for this line!!
    Last edited by ProVeeZag; 01-22-2020 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Add emoji 10's
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

In football after a big sack, you often see defensive linemen spooning out of an imaginary dish to celebrate their grand accomplishment. In my mind, I've come to interpret this as meaning "I just ATE YOUR LUNCH". Granted I don't have the urban background that others grew up in, so may be way off-base. But in my struggles to understand some small percentage of what goes on in our constantly-evolving culture these days, that's what I came up with! And of course it's "spilled over" into other sports.
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    In football after a big sack, you often see defensive linemen spooning out of an imaginary dish to celebrate their grand accomplishment. In my mind, I've come to interpret this as meaning "I just ATE YOUR LUNCH". Granted I don't have the urban background that others grew up in, so may be way off-base. But in my struggles to understand some small percentage of what goes on in our constantly-evolving culture these days, that's what I came up with! And of course it's "spilled over" into other sports.
    PS While watching on tv, I know I saw a fan at the BYU game wearing a pontiff's hat. As the camera panned the student section, I even said to my friend, "Well, I see the pope made it to tonight's game."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    PS While watching on tv, I know I saw a fan at the BYU game wearing a pontiff's hat. As the camera panned the student section, I even said to my friend, "Well, I see the pope made it to tonight's game."
    So I wasn't going crazy... I thought I saw the same, but wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    So I wasn't going crazy... I thought I saw the same, but wasn't sure.
    Either that, or .... we've both GONE crazy.
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Just to be clear...

The older Kaufusi brother was the "mugger" not the younger one...he had Bball skills just not great ones...I enjoyed watching him and thought if he stayed one more year (he left early for football) BYU would have been a much bigger force in league play...

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    This was in a BYU publication shortly after that game. (sorry it's not a 100 percent perfect pic ... I'm not paying the photobucket gang)

Kaufusi was a thug. I hated that guy.