Thread: OT: Brandon Clarke bonds with Dad during trip to Civil Rights museum

Default OT: Brandon Clarke bonds with Dad during trip to Civil Rights museum

Mods, please move or do whatever but thought this appropriate for Martin Luther King Jr. day

https://theundefeated.com/features/g...rights-museum/

As a rookie for the Memphis Grizzlies, Brandon Clarke had yet to visit the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, Tennessee. But that changed when his father, Steve, came to visit in December.

Steve Clarke, who lives in Norway, first visited the museum by himself while his son was practicing at the FedExForum on Dec. 14. But after going on the tour, he was excited to tell his son about his trip and suggested Brandon attend when he had the time.

“I said, ‘This museum is around the people you are around every single day, and it’s part of you as well,’ ” said Steve Clarke. “ ‘Although I am not African American, I am of Jamaican descent, so that is the same thing. They paved for you to get here, otherwise it would not have worked out for me or you.’ ”

Nice article. Big fan of Brandon Clarke but to have moved to Phoenix AZ at 10 years old and grow up here in the U.S. yet admit the following is kind of shocking to me. Pretty embarrassing for his middle school and high school, where one would think the basic facts of when and where MLK was killed would have been taught.

For Clarke’s dad, it was important for his son to learn about African American history. And much to his delight, Clarke heeded his father’s Dec. 14 advice. The father and son made plans to attend the National Civil Rights Museum together the next day. The rookie would pay for two $17 tickets for an invaluable history lesson.

“I didn’t know the museum was made in honor of MLK, at first. I thought it was just for civil rights,” Clarke said. “I had no idea that this was where he was killed.”
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Thanks for posting. Brandon Clarke will always be one of my favorites.

Special stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Nice article. Big fan of Brandon Clarke but to have moved to Phoenix AZ at 10 years old and grow up here in the U.S. yet admit the following is kind of shocking to me. Pretty embarrassing for his middle school and high school, where one would think the basic facts of when and where MLK was killed would have been taught.
    I get your concern over historical ignorance but we all forget thousands of dates and places from school. BC could easily have at some point been told that MLK was shot in Memphis, then forgot it.

I bet the percentage of Americans who could correctly name the city where Lincoln, jfk, MLK, or RFK were shot is well below 10%, 40%, 30, and 20% respectively.

All four are fairly easy. Asked both my kids (23 and 20)... got correct answers from both.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death