Thread: Reminder - CLF's Coach's Show is Back in Epic @ Northern Quest Tonight

Default Reminder - CLF's Coach's Show is Back in Epic @ Northern Quest Tonight

For those who have the opportunity to go, The @FortZagWBB Show is back tonight! See you at EPIC inside
    @NorthernQuest

Showtime at 7 p.m. tonight!

You can Listen on 1510 KGA.

A couple of questions for those who may go tonight?

Status of Eliza Hollingsworth. Are we going to see her suit up this week?

Severity of the ankle injury to K-11. How long is she anticipated to be out?

ZagDad

I have already submitted those questions to someone I know who is going .

There may be lots of factors involved in the decision, but wouldn’t it make sense for Eliza to redshirt the year based on the number of games/time lost?

Quote Originally Posted by Zag Swagger View Post
    There may be lots of factors involved in the decision, but wouldn’t it make sense for Eliza to redshirt the year based on the number of games/time lost?
    Typically a red-shirt year is an agreement between the student-athlete and the coaching staff.

There is only 11 games left in the regular season plus most likely two (thinking positive) more in the WCC tournament plus however many tournament games we play in.

On the surface of it, I would think a red-shirt year would be appropriate at this time if agreeable to all parties, although CLF noted back in November that there was no thought of red-shirting EH this year. A new twist is the injury to AV. If her injury is significant (she only played a minute against USF) and EH is getting ready to go, we might be able to use her (or need her) for the stretch run and the tournament games if AV can't go and give the Wirths and MK a break.

I doubt we fans will know anything until we see EH suited up. She was still in civilian clothes during last week's games in the Bay area, so everything is still on the table.

ZagDad

CLF said during her show that EH went through a full practice today. She’s not ready to play yet, but they will have a talk with her about a redshirt. She said that they let the player make that decision, but it will be a conversation they will have.

Interesting tid bit, someone asked a question about a the possibility of a home and home with Oregon or Oregon State. CLF said that would not happen with Oregon State and a game against Oregon may only happen at a neutral site. But wouldn’t happen anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update Bigfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfooot View Post
    Interesting tid bit, someone asked a question about a the possibility of a home and home with Oregon or Oregon State. CLF said that would not happen with Oregon State and a game against Oregon may only happen at a neutral site. But wouldn’t happen anytime soon.
    And the crowd goes Hmmmmmmm.

ZagDad

I say she should play as soon as she can...next year we have 3 good recruits plus Cierra plus Kylee.....its going to be tough to find playing time...any advantage Eliza can get in more experience will benefit her....plus I disagree with CLF (heard her say this on the radio) you never have "enough" players especially at post.....something happens to anyone of them and we're in tough shape.....even Ava who hasn't played much would be a loss because she lets the others get a breather.....just MO.. but I think even getting a few games in will help.......

As for a game with Oregon... the key note was, that it would be at a neutral sight. Possibly in the dance or maybe a fall tournament. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t want a here and there with Oregon State.

As for having numbers with the players, as physical as the game has become, injures happen. I don’t like it and I’m sure the coaches don’t either... look at the benches and the number of injured players there are on all teams.

I think with Eliza, if she wasn’t from overseas, there would be no question on red shirting. I still think that if she decides to play this year, it would get her some time to get use to D-1 ball. With another post joining the club and not loosing any players next year, there will be four posts on the bench.

Go Zags!!

the way I heard CLF say it was it was Oregon State who WOULD NOT play us at all.....not sure why.....perhaps because we've always seem to give them fits...

I get the impression that many schools do not want to play us.....which is why CLF is very complimentary of Stanford...

I remember Mark Few saying that it took "years" and lots of time and effort to get NC to play a home and home....I'm sure its tough for CLF to get the schedule she would like..

The NCAA committee takes an interesting view of natural rivals not wanting to play each other. When Louisville and Kentucky refused to play each other in the regular season, the NCAA Committee, a couple of years in a row, managed to seed them in the same region so they would have to play each other (assuming each team won). Oregon State (and Oregon) are not our natural rivals but both offer some intriguing side twists. With Oregon, of course, it is about the coaches, the mentor versus the student. With Oregon State, the Lady Zags and Beavers have had some very good games in past tournaments with very good crowds. Don't be too surprised to see Oregon or Oregon State in the same region as the Lady Zags when the NCAA tournament pairings come out.

Because there is a big difference between the Wbb and Mbb in the number of professional opportunities and the compensation available there is a difference in the red-shirting mindset. Even with the new CBA, the top WNBA salary is something like $230,000, a long ways from the seven and eight figure salaries of the NBA. There are 30 teams in the NBA with 15 member rosters (not including G-league teams) as opposed to 12 teams in the WNBA with 13 member rosters. It is much more likely that female student athletes will have to resort to using their college degree to earn a living as opposed to earning a living playing sports.

From a parent's point of view, if my child had an opportunity for a paid 5th year of school and the potential of getting a master's degree paid for, I would say go for it, you are not giving up much by not playing this year. You will likely need that degree down the road. From EH's point of view, their are four (#4 & #5) forwards/posts on this year's team not counting EH. Next year there will be 5-6 depending on how the freshman are classified, but you lose the Wirths after next year. It is a pay me now or pay me later situation. Redshirting would also mean another year far away from home, family and friends. It is asking a lot from the foreign born players to stick around another for a fifth year.

From the team's point of view, Gonzaga is playing 3 players (JW, LW & MK) to play two positions with AV providing a few relief minutes. Traditionally, the rosters tend to shrink during tournament time, not expand, so if everybody is healthy, there just may not be the number of minutes available. If somebody gets hurt, then it becomes much more necessary to have that additional player available to the team.

In the end, none of us knows what the individual player wants to do. JB is a good example. She could have played her senior season, set all kinds of records, likely received more national attention, gotten a masters degree, etc. none of which mattered in the end to her. She was done with school and done with college basketball and wanted to pursue her post collegiate life. It was the right decision for her. We will see in the next couple of months what decision EH and the coaching staff have made regarding her future.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 01-21-2020 at 04:14 PM.