Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest surprises for you about this year's team

Default Biggest surprises for you about this year's team

What are a COUPLE of the biggest surprises for you about this year's team. Please try to keep them to just two so others can also add to the list.

1. My biggest surprise is how good Woolridge is. I remember how I didn't really like his style of play at the beginning of the year. AND he has slowly grown on me, game after game. He is now really amazing me every game both offensively and defensively.

2. that they have been #1 in the polls so early in the year, and a #1 Seed in Lunardi's Bracketology

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

1. How good this team is with a near-complete reset of the playing rotation. With unknown expectations and many people advising to temper expectations, this team has far and away exceeded any preseason expectations. Mark Few & Co. are absolute studs.

2. Their resiliency and tough as nails attitude. Not a characteristic we can apply cleanly to many Zag teams in Few's 20+ years. They don't care who you are; they just care about running you over and moving on. It shows in late game situations this year.

The biggest surprise for me was Joel Ayayi's development and leap forward in skill. Also, he has improved his half court management from the beginning of the season to now.
    The ability of Mark Few and his assistant coaches to quickly get this team to gel is nothing short of amazing. Woolridge seems the perfect PG for this squad. He has stepped up in a major way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Ayayi for sure. I thought when ravet left that we would have a big trouble spelling wooly and gilder. Boy that looks silly now in many ways
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

That the guards are the strength of the team. When forced to go small ball, we might be our best.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

1. The offensive prowess at every position.
    2. That we could lose so much, have so many new faces and still gel fast and dig out some quality wins in the non-conference.
    3. The lack of depth. Losing Ravet and now Watson would be a blow to most teams but these Zags seem to have little problem stepping up. Whether they can gut it out with a short bench come March is another question.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

the backcourt

What he said: Billyberu.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Petrusev’s dominant post play on offense is biggest surprise for me; great footwork, multiple post moves, physically overpowering opponents, strong hands now keeping possession whenever he gets the ball and cleanly catching all kinds of passes. Dude has improved a lot in one year. D still needs work but his low post offense has given this team an identity that, once established, is now free to evolve and develop.

Ayayi’s performance all around is a close 2nd.

Seamless integration of two grad transfer a close 3rd
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

1. no Ravet
    2. GU a legit title contender despite injuries to the 3 seniors and basically no contribution from the top 3 expected freshmen (Watson, Brock, Oumar).

The merging of the two grad trnsfers with the rest of the team. Admond and Ryan are both making major sacrifices to merge into the team concepts on both ends of the court.

I thought this year would be a growing year for next year. But with Tillie, Petro and Timme controlling the paint and Ayayi, Ryan, Cory and Admond the guard play, they are looking fantastic. They are a super team to watch and a nightmare for other teams to defend. On any night any one of them can be the go to guy and this eam is doing a great job of recognizing the hot hand or the mismatch.

1. Defnitely Ayayi's play. I expected Petrusev to have a big jump based on flashes from last year, I new he could score. We didnt see much from Ayayi last year. Even with the great summer at FIBA I just didnt expect anything like this. He just seems so fluid with the ball fakes and just floating through the D on fast breaks.

2. Woolridge. I thought he'd be solid, but he has been so much more. He is so quick he can get to the rim almost any time he wants, and he is almost impossible to press because you cant contain him. His D has been amazing and he has shot much better than advertised.

3. I thought Kispert, Gilder, Tillie, Petrusev, and Timme could be as good as they have been, but it came together really quickly. We are one loss away from a perfect season right now. A loss on the 3rd game in 3 in 3 days tourney, where each was less than 24 hours after the previous, with injuries, a hard fought overtime game prior, and a team playing out of there mind. If that game was any other week of the season we may be looking at undefeated right now. Definitely wasnt expecting to be 20-1 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    1. no Ravet
    2. GU a legit title contender despite injuries to the 3 seniors and basically no contribution from the top 3 expected freshmen (Watson, Brock, Oumar).
    OMG! I forgot about Brock Ravet........ That was a total shocker, and a time of sadness for me.

What is blowing my mind lately is how awesome Gilder is playing. Of course we expected a lot from him, he was real good at A&M. But he got hurt and eventually Ayayi took over his spot. But now, to imagine a guy like Gilder coming in off the bench and scoring in double figures every game, and hitting big 3's every game, and making big steals every game. I believe he could be the best 6th man in the country.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 01-20-2020 at 03:48 PM.

I did not expect this team to be in contention for a No. 1 seed. I expected this to be a bridge year when we might see Gonzaga mentioned in some of the February “bubble watch” lists while we wait for Ballo and next year’s phenomenal recruiting class to arrive. I was hoping that the team might get hot just long enough to extend the streak of Sweet Sixteens, but I had no illusions that this team might do more.

I was wrong.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

1. The play of Joel Ayayi and Corey Kispert. Last season they were just role players, now they are men amongst boys. Especially Joel, his improvement from last season to this one is freaking incredible.

2. Our W/L record. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we could be 20-1 at this point in the season. And it's not as if our schedule so far has been cupcake city.

1. Ayayi is a 3pt shooter.
    2. Texas trio.

Ayayi without a doubt.

How well all the parts have come together. Our team is truly a "team." Watching the ball movement and teamwork is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    1. My biggest surprise is how good Woolridge is. I remember how I didn't really like his style of play at the beginning of the year. AND he has slowly grown on me, game after game. He is now really amazing me every game both offensively and defensively.
    I'm with Reborn - Woolridge has been significantly better than I could have hoped. His ability to run Few's multiple action offence while playing defence at a high level has been a relevation. And I agree that as he has become more comfortable with what Few expects of him, he has continued to look better as the season has progressed.

i really thought the success of this season would be dependent on the development of the highly regarded freshmen group...turns out other than timme as the backup big, they haven't really been needed. a healthy watson really could have been a difference maker however, so too bad on that. zags getting a mid-season boost right now simply from tillie and admon slowly getting back to full health, but of course petrusev has to get hurt just as the zags were starting to fire on all cylinders.

The biggest one for me is Ayayi's overall play. When Gilder was struggling with injuries, I was really concerned with how we were going to do, but Ayayi stepped up in a big way. Woolridge has been number 2 for me - I expected him to be a solid contributor, but had no idea he'd be able to run the team the way he has, and play the kind of pesky defense he's been able to do. With the backcourt being my big concern for this year, it's remarkable how much stronger it's turned out to be.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

The biggest surprise to me is how well this team has gelled with all the new faces. Ayayi, Woolridge, Timme, Gilder, all get A's for the semester final.

Go Zags!

runthetable

How quickly I’ve grown to like the newbs! Plus, the steady improvement of Kispert, Petrusev and Ayayi (who is likely the most improved). I also feel the team is deeper than any since. I feel comfy w/ anyone off the bench coming in and holding their own. Hence, I’m feeling pretty good about getting to a S16 or further with this cadre of amigos!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

The thing that surprises me most is how the team keeps winning despite injuries. It seems like any time someone can't play or is not at full capacity, someone else steps up their game.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.