Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New AP Poll is in...Baylor is #1

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    SDSU way overrated. Expect couple losses yet. Iowa is their signature win; beat BYU by handful.
    Absolutely agree. SDSU did not pass my eye test at Fresno a few days ago. Their defense was decent, but the offense was bottled up for most of that game. They were fortunate to pull out the win against a Fresno team that was 5-11 at the time. You can put me in the "Not a Believer" column as regards SDSU.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Larryzag View Post
    #2 is just fine with me. #1 seed, Spokane 1st round, a little smaller target on their backs, less #####ing and griping nationally.....
    It's fine with me also. But there's many games between now and when it really matters. The only thing the ranking flip does for now is put the target on Baylor (they will lose). And when we regain the top spot the talk goes to "KU should be number one." Or Louisville. Or Duke. Maybe SDST.

The only thing clear to me is that there is no clear number one team. We have as good as of a chance as any of the top teams to cut the nets down this season, but no way is our defense as good as it was last year or as good as it was on the Final Four team.

Injuries aside, the good news is that we are getting better offensively each week. If they can tighten the D up even a little bit...
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

This is a relatively young team that is new to each other. It will not hurt them at all to feel a bit slighted and disrespected.

We saw a fire in the belly last weekend and I suspect we'll see more when Pacific comes rolling in.

I don't like it, but I suspect it is going to do nothing but improve this team's play and concentration.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Can't figure out why they jumped us given the relative strength of the opponents we both defeated last week. Also their only loss is to a Washington team on a neutral floor that we defeated in a true road game.

ZZ

If you look at the totals we are second by 3 on one and they are the same on the other. So for now I would call it a tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I'm a little surprised. Also a little upset. Baylor is definitely playing well. No doubt about that. But so is Gonzaga. What has Gonzaga done to drop a spot in the poll. #2 is good though. Congrats Zags! Let's see how long Baylor can hold on to the #1 spot.

Go Zags!!!
    This is what I call the Rem Bakamus effect. Don't blame the pollster blame Rem for attracting all the attention.

A PAC 12 protector from the Oregonian and a KU lover from the KC Star had us 4 and 3 and gave KU its 1, and that made the difference. I like the way we continue to improve and overcome challenges as they arise. Go Zags!
    "If you smell something, say something." Jon Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    This is what I call the Rem Bakamus effect. Don't blame the pollster blame Rem for attracting all the attention.

And blame Rem for being on the Baylor staff! That guy is living the best of both worlds.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Anyone who has a shot will get an invite. The polls measure momentum more then anything.

Beat Pacific.

https://www.newsweek.com/who-best-co...3116%3Famp%3D1

WHO IS THE BEST COLLEGE BASKETBALL TEAM? THE BETTING LINES, COMBINED WITH POLLS, HELP SORT OUT THIS STRANGE SEASON
    By Scott McDonald On 1/20/20 at 6:30 PM EST

The 2019-20 men's college basketball season does not need March for madness. The craziness started in November, and it continued today. The season began with the top two teams playing each other on the same night, and same floor, as the preseason No. 3 and 4 teams playing against each other. Both lower-ranked teams won that night.
    In the first seven weeks, five different teams ranked at No. 1 lost. The first was when No. 2 Kentucky beat top-ranked Michigan State on that opening night, and the last was when top-ranked Kansas lost at No. 18 Villanova on December 21. The Gonzaga Bulldogs moved up to No. 1 on December 23 and have remained there since then.
    Until today.
    More at the link including the Vegas odds with neither Baylor nor GU with the best odds of success in April.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandzag View Post
    Anyone who has a shot will get an invite. The polls measure momentum more then anything.
    Exactly. This is not college football, the polls mean diddly squat. The Zags only goal should be, Spokane, Staples, and Atlanta, in that order.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

I love the Zags but I believe Baylor should be #1 and you can thank UNC and Washington for that!!! IF those 2 teams had remained ranked....but Baylor has wins @ #3 KU, @ #18 Texas Tech, plus wins against #9 Villanova, #13 Butler, and #22 Arizona. The Zags resume has suffered a bit with wins against #12 Oregon and #22 Arizona as their only ranked victories. But this means nothing at this point if the Zags run the table....getting a #1 seed and playing in Spokane is more important...though I wouldn't mind seeing another loss in conference similar to the BYU loss in 2017.....seemed to galvanize the troupes on their way to the Championship game...
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Exactly. This is not college football, the polls mean diddly squat. The Zags only goal should be, Spokane, Staples, and Atlanta, in that order.
    Those are good goals for sure. But there are others that I believe are important and I believe they're important to Mark Few: Winning the Conference. Winning the Conference Tournament. I know those things are important to him. I don't believe that being $1 in the polls at this time of year are important. I think that most likely he would want his team to be a #1 seed in the West if his team is good enough, like this year.
    Shorter term goals are also important I think. The National Tournament is so far away, but yes it's a very good goal. Maybe having some shorter term goals will them get there.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandzag View Post

Beat Pacific.
    Won't disagree with the momentum observation. However when you are ranked #1 and you win two games by an average of 36 points and you drop in the polls? That is a slap in the face! I think Baylor is worthy of the ranking but that is Chicken Sh-t to take it away from a team that destroys their competition. What a joke! GU even played higher ranked teams!
    I know it doesn't really matter that much but it matters enough! I think Chicken Sh-t sums it up best!

I’m not upset about Baylor jumping us although the timing is weird. I thought they deserved to jump us last week but if voters didn’t give them the nod last week, i’m Not sure what they could have seen to change their mind this week. Truth is, it really doesn’t matter much. What will be interesting though (and we all know it is coming)..... iF we lose, it will be interesting to see how far the voters drop us. We are ahead of many teams with 3+ losses and that will only multiply by the time we actually lose a game. Even so, I can see us dropping several places with just one loss which would be silly and frustrating. I hope it doesn’t happen but the league is strong enough where having a loss or two is beyond reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    I’m not upset about Baylor jumping us although the timing is weird. I thought they deserved to jump us last week but if voters didn’t give them the nod last week, i’m Not sure what they could have seen to change their mind this week. Truth is, it really doesn’t matter much. What will be interesting though (and we all know it is coming)...
    The Duke losses are why they jumped. All 3 teams were fairly close last week but after Duke fell, more of the 1st/2nd place votes from Duke went to Baylor over GU. Just one of the quirks with this style of polling.