Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AP Poll is in...Baylor is #1

Default New AP Poll is in...Baylor is #1

I'm a little surprised. Also a little upset. Baylor is definitely playing well. No doubt about that. But so is Gonzaga. What has Gonzaga done to drop a spot in the poll. #2 is good though. Congrats Zags! Let's see how long Baylor can hold on to the #1 spot.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I'm a little surprised.
    Bulletin board material

I'm not surprised, nor will I be surprised when they lose in the next week two. Watched their game on Saturday, wasn't saying to myself that this is clearly a team worthy of a #1 ranking. Then again, I haven't really said that about any team this year, but after watching the last few ZAGS games, they're getting pretty close to being a clear cut top team.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Bulletin board material
    Baylor's wins last week were against NET ranked 78 & 82, respectively.

Zag wins were against NET ranked 38 & 84, respectively.

Explain THAT to me.

Oh well, just keep chopping wood.

In the end, polls really don't matter much. Baylor got 1,591 votes and GU 1,588. Pretty close. It does surprise me a bit that Baylor passed us THIS week where they barely beat a 9-7 Oklahoma State while GU DOMINATED against our two opponents, include BYU who is a pretty high metric opponent.

Oh well... keep winning

A little motivation for our team -- keep working boys.

It was inevitable. Especially when Baylor went into The Phog and took down Kansas.

Although SDSU has not played the greatest schedule on earth (it's better than "some" critics think), being undefeated is being undefeated. There is a part of me that feels they should be #1 until someone knocks them off. The problem is that with Carlton Bragg getting kicked out of the program, I don't know if New Mexico can even beat the Aztecs in Albuquerque. SDSU could very well enter the NCAA tourney unblemished. They are not as great defensively as some of their teams have been (although they are still an elite defensive team), but their offense is much better. They are more balanced. If you looked at the MWC standings before league play kicked off, there weren't many teams in league with impressive records. SDSU and UNM....that's just about it. Not like the WCC which had something like 6 teams with impressive records. In fact, one of the worries that I would have if I were a non-GU fan of a WCC team like Pacific or BYU is that those pack of teams could cannibalize each other. In order for somebody to compete with GU, it would seem a team is going to have to beat the Zags at the Kennel. BYU has always been the best at it, and they failed on Saturday. SCU got annihilated at K2. Anyway, the general point is that the possibility of SDSU going unbeaten, with their always nasty defense but a more balanced offensive attack, is greater than some folks may think. Personally, I think they will likely have that "can't throw a pea in the ocean" game that all teams seem to have that gets rid of the undefeated thing before March Madness. Kind of like GU's loss to BYU at K2 in 2017. It "felt" almost as if they were trying to lose the game to ease the pressure heading into March.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Baylor's wins last week were against NET ranked 78 & 82, respectively.

Zag wins were against NET ranked 38 & 84, respectively.

Explain THAT to me.

Oh well, just keep chopping wood.
    AND they beat Ok States by five, while Gonzaga beat Santa Clara by 50 and BYU by 25. I think we could all see it coming though. I think it will help the Zags though. We have San Francisco coming up at their place next week. I hope Baylor stays #1 for at least another week.

Go Zags!!!

We hold on to the top spot in the Coaches' Poll.

Baylor should have been #1 before now imo, but with our wins, especially BYU, the numbers say this is the week we should have jumped them for number one. Mad world.

If baylor runs the table they will deserve number 1, and if they lose we'll be back to 1. This works itself out regardless.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Baylor has Oklahoma today -- then will play at Florida on Saturday --if they can win at Florida they will be in good shape.

I am curious about whether Joe Lunardi (ESPN's Bracketologist) will take Duke out of a number one seed and put San Diego State in that spot.

#2 is just fine with me. #1 seed, Spokane 1st round, a little smaller target on their backs, less #####ing and griping nationally.....

Don’t agree with the outcome, but I don’t think voters necessarily changed their vote. Rather, Baylor got more of the Duke votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    In the end, polls really don't matter much. Baylor got 1,591 votes and GU 1,588. Pretty close. It does surprise me a bit that Baylor passed us THIS week where they barely beat a 9-7 Oklahoma State while GU DOMINATED against our two opponents, include BYU who is a pretty high metric opponent.

Oh well... keep winning
    Took the words right from me. Baylor deserved to jump to #1 last week after their 2 huge road wins. If they weren't worthy of #1 last week, beating a subpar Iowa St. team and a winless in conference Oklahoma St. team where they trailed for 35+ minutes of the game makes zero sense.

Just goes to show how much deference KU gets for something that happened nearly 130 years ago. In recent history, nobody does less with more than Bill Self and “Kansas University” (as the Lawrence Journal World insists on calling them).

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It was inevitable. Especially when Baylor went into The Phog and took down Kansas.

Although SDSU has not played the greatest schedule on earth (it's better than "some" critics think), being undefeated is being undefeated. There is a part of me that feels they should be #1 until someone knocks them off. The problem is that with Carlton Bragg getting kicked out of the program, I don't know if New Mexico can even beat the Aztecs in Albuquerque. SDSU could very well enter the NCAA tourney unblemished. They are not as great defensively as some of their teams have been (although they are still an elite defensive team), but their offense is much better. They are more balanced. If you looked at the MWC standings before league play kicked off, there weren't many teams in league with impressive records. SDSU and UNM....that's just about it. Not like the WCC which had something like 6 teams with impressive records. In fact, one of the worries that I would have if I were a non-GU fan of a WCC team like Pacific or BYU is that those pack of teams could cannibalize each other. In order for somebody to compete with GU, it would seem a team is going to have to beat the Zags at the Kennel. BYU has always been the best at it, and they failed on Saturday. SCU got annihilated at K2. Anyway, the general point is that the possibility of SDSU going unbeaten, with their always nasty defense but a more balanced offensive attack, is greater than some folks may think. Personally, I think they will likely have that "can't throw a pea in the ocean" game that all teams seem to have that gets rid of the undefeated thing before March Madness. Kind of like GU's loss to BYU at K2 in 2017. It "felt" almost as if they were trying to lose the game to ease the pressure heading into March.

It matters, and it suxs.

- it only matters for bragging rights.
    - dropping a single spot will not affect our recruiting, nor our quad wins or losses, or net ranking.

- I'm sure based upon coach few's prior comments on rankings, he is not gonna miss any sleep over being #2.

- what matters is getting a 1, 2 or 3 seed and getting protected with placement in the Spokane pod. that only has to do with what the team does on the basketball court the next 6 weeks. and if we do indeed keep winning we will bounce back up to #1.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    It matters, and it suxs.
    Hmmm .... Baylor beat NET #82 Iowa State by 13 and beat NET #78 Oklahoma State by 7 (avg NET #80.0 win avg 10.0)

Zags beat NET #86 Santa Clara by 50 and NET #37 BYU by 23 (avg NET #61.5 win avg 36.5)

Something tells me there were voters looking at names on the front of the jerseys/leagues vs actual basketball prowess.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I am curious about whether Joe Lunardi (ESPN's Bracketologist) will take Duke out of a number one seed and put San Diego State in that spot.
    Would like having SDSU as a 2 seed in the west if we're a 1.

You usually see teams drop after a loss in basketball. Weird stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - it only matters for bragging rights.
    - dropping a single spot will not affect our recruiting, nor our quad wins or losses, or net ranking.

- I'm sure based upon coach few's prior comments on rankings, he is not gonna miss any sleep over being #2.

- what matters is getting a 1, 2 or 3 seed and getting protected with placement in the Spokane pod. that only has to do with what the team does on the basketball court the next 6 weeks. and if we do indeed keep winning we will bounce back up to #1.
    Slippery slope. Now 2, suddenly 5 after more blue bloods eke out exciting ESPN mothership games that get Seth and Chopper Williams yakking.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Would like having SDSU as a 2 seed in the west if we're a 1.
    SDSU way overrated. Expect couple losses yet. Iowa is their signature win; beat BYU by handful.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnZag3 View Post
    Took the words right from me. Baylor deserved to jump to #1 last week after their 2 huge road wins. If they weren't worthy of #1 last week, beating a subpar Iowa St. team and a winless in conference Oklahoma St. team where they trailed for 35+ minutes of the game makes zero sense.
    Agree. Would have less gripe if they passed us last week after winning at a Kansas and ho-humm wins by GU.

I’m not too worked up though. Baylor has an impressive resume and probably deserves a #1 ranking. The good news is there is a little tournament to determine who wins the title of National Champion. Let’s go get that one.