Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RIP: Our Board's Founding Father, BobZag, Has Passed Away

So long my friend. Bob was truly a very good guy.

Rest In Peace BZ. Thank you for all you did for all of us as an ambassador for the Zags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sad to hear this news. I discovered the GUBoards about ten years ago, and BobZag was already a legend by then. Although I didn't know him personally I will miss his witty, clever posts, his insider info posts, his lovely avatars, and his Star Wars references such as "these aren't the droids you're looking for."

He will always be loved here. Rest in Peace, Bob.

Fortunate to have met BobZag on one of my trips down to Spokane from Calgary. I think it was the first year the Mac opened. He was in his usual spot and I nervously introduced myself with my board name and he acted like we were old friends. Sad day in Zag world today.
    RIP BobZag.

Wow. Sad day and a thankful one too. Thanks BZ! This board has been an invaluable sidekick to me as a Zag fan. I’m very appreciative of that.
    Go Zags!

Default Godspeed

Condolences to his family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Elvis has left the building. . .
    We lost our Voice of Reason, and now Elvis has indeed left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    We lost our Voice of Reason, and now Elvis has indeed left the building.
    I was fortunate enough to have met them both several years ago. RIP, BobZag. You will be greatly missed.

A former GUB poster commented on BobZag's passing in a note to me earlier this evening and it included this passage:

"I hope God has him standing tall and employing all the faculties heaven allows. IMO, he's earned a spot where those who really suffered throughout their lives are made whole. I hope it exists. And Bob is its leader. RIP."

I will miss the tone he brought to our community. He was open, friendly, and always supportive. He loved to be conspiratorially impish and leave you thinking there was something better yet to come. He has been right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I'm saddened to hear this news. I didn't know anything about BobZag until this thread, but always knew of him and appreciated his posts and chime-ins. I noticed in recent years like the last 3-4 years he had chimed in a lot less with info.

I would like to read an official story about his background and life, if it comes across I hope someone posts it. Could someone share more about his Gonzaga fandom...Who did he know well on the coaching staff, notable stories, his favorite players etc. It sounds like he had some kind of ailment, I did not know that.

Also, Has anyone reached out to Gonzaga Athletics yet? I'd think they could do a moment of silence, or show his picture during a Media timeout.

I never had the fortune of meeting BZ in person, but I think all one needs to do is read the posts in this thread to understand the impact he made through this board on the entire Zags basketball community...I noticed many posts paying their respects by members who are no longer active participants.

Rest In Peace Big Brother. Reading these comments are nothing but tear jerkers. Bob said to me after the first couple of games this year that we were doomed. He got to listen on radio to his last GU game - the BYU game. He said we are pretty damned good after all. Again, Rest In Peace Big Brother. You were pretty damn good yourself.

I am so very sad to hear this. BobZag was responsible for me seeing my first Gonzaga game in person and I thought that was so kind of him. May he Rest In Peace.

That guy got so much done given his situation. The biggest and most significant thing for me was that he trusted me and I trusted him. Truly a guy I’d trust to be in a foxhole with. Always so grateful. I hope his mom and dad make it through this. I’m greater saddened by him being gone. I hope we meet again. A privilege to know as BZ and I traveled some roads with him...fixing 1000s of hearts is my job. For me, BZ was life. And he saw the good parts and the hardsrabble parts.
    Wind at your back Bob..

RIP BZ the Legend! He always knew everything going on with the Zags far before it was common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownRoyalZag View Post
    Rest In Peace Big Brother. Reading these comments are nothing but tear jerkers. Bob said to me after the first couple of games this year that we were doomed. He got to listen on radio to his last GU game - the BYU game. He said we are pretty damned good after all. Again, Rest In Peace Big Brother. You were pretty damn good yourself.
    Ha. That’s great.

“... we were doomed”. Of course Bob
    said that ... and I can vividly hear him telling you that.

So good to hear from you. Your big brother was admired, respected and loved. (But you know that). God Bless.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

It's nice to see some long time posters come out of the woodwork to acknowledge BZ. Anyone with a "Join Date:" before 2008 know he was the heart and soul of this board, and the board before, and before that. I'm awed by his dedication over decades to GU basketball. Every contributor of this board has a little piece of him inside, and has been influenced by his good nature, piercing sarcasm, and generosity.

I had many interactions with him -- all were electronic in nature, and always made for me a smile and a better day. I knew something was amiss when his posts became fewer and fewer. Melancholic for me -- I never inquired out of respect. Back when I was going nuts with the animated gifs (before it was a "thing"), he was often the first to respond with a laugh and offer encouragement to continue on. I'm glad to have played a very small part in his (and other's) enjoyment.

I've always thought we should have a long-running, "I appreciate you" thread, where people can acknowledge the efforts and contributions to the forum. On more than one occasion, I've typed it up, and then cancelled it. He was often the first person I thought of in that process. It's too late now to make that post, but BZ, know that I still appreciate everything you did and brought this COMMUNITY together. While the university has kept itself at arms length from the board (and with very good reason), I hope they take the time to honor the Zags' biggest fan and contributor to its fanbase. I firmly believe that much of what happens off the court with the fans, directly or indirectly affects to some degree the direction of what ultimately happens on the court, and in the perspective of CBB nationwide. It really should not be underestimated. BZ has a golden thread that weaves throughout all of that. Even his provocative avatars.

God speed.

=cad=

Rest in Peace BobZag
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

So sad to hear this. He was a stalwart here for so long and had a great sense of humor. RIP BZ.
    I miss Mike Hart

Rest in Peace BZ!

This board is Doomed.

Go Zags

RobertoZag ... the world is a better place because you were in it.

I've missed you, missed your contributions. But I don't miss your Spirit because I carry that with me. In my heart.

Your smile could light up a room (a room as big as the Kennel).

Rest in Peace my man. Rest in Peace.
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

One quick thought regarding the quality of zags-basketball discussion without our beloved Bobzag.....

WE'RE DOOMED.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

I'm very sorry to hear this - RIP.

RIP BobZag - always in the know and the best avatars on the board. God Bless
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”