Thread: Gonzaga's length

Default Gonzaga's length

I was reading an article today from the Deseret News and I came across this quote “I felt like we didn’t get as good of looks that we usually get,” Haws said. “I had a lot of contested 3s. They’re really long and they’re really good defensively.” The quote reminded me of some insight Adam Morrison provided during the GU-BYU post game radio show. Morrison noted this edition of the Zags has exceptional length and athleticism, something rarely seen in the WCC. Morrison said the length of the Zags is a particular problem for the Zags WCC opponents, who, when "they run their stuff" that typically allows them to get off a decent shot, against the Zags more often than not, there is a hand, arm or face in the way. While there are other leagues and teams around the country who have GU type athletes Morrison feels, particularly in the WCC, GU's length is a huge factor. The quote above reinforces Morrison's point. Here is a link to the article:

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...childs-tj-haws

Haws a stand up kid. Nice words. OTOH, Pope was stingy in praise. Like Chris “Monkey” Mack. Maybe it’s a tall, bald coach thing.

Pope was effusive in his praise for Gonzaga in the build up to the game. Seems like a genuinely good dude.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Pope was effusive in his praise for Gonzaga in the build up to the game. Seems like a genuinely good dude.
    Ok. Good enough. Not above. Kinda blaming himself, players, stars, global warming.

Jazz, didn’t Pope refer to Gonzaga as a bit overrated when he got hired? I seem to remember him saying something along those lines anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Jazz, didn’t Pope refer to Gonzaga as a bit overrated when he got hired? I seem to remember him saying something along those lines anyway.
    Hey I’m not going there. Let’s just say his post game comments studiously avoid praising Zags in any detail. Just one throwaway line.

Pope's quote: Pope joked that he'd like for Gonzaga head coach Mark Few to retire, and then said what Few and company have done is "extraordinary." In his next sentence, though, Pope said, "I personally think they're way overrated."

Link: https://www.deseret.com/2019/5/10/20...r-fredette-jok

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Believe that was tongue-in-cheek. Here’s what he said pregame. You decide.

“It’s the greatest thing. This Gonzaga team is a gift to our league. They just are. The fact that we get to go on the road and play the No. 1 team in the country — we get to do that because they’re in our league. It’s awesome,” Pope said. “They’re that good. They’re so good that they can play bad and still win big. You could talk endlessly about how great that program is. We’re excited to go up and fight. Our guys believe that we can win. We believe we can win. I think our guys have a sense of how hard this is. But this is what you love as athletes and coaches — to have a chance

Passive aggressive.

“It’s the greatest thing. This Gonzaga team is a gift to our league. They just are. The fact that we get to go on the road and play the No. 1 team in the country — we get to do that because they’re in our league. It’s awesome,” Pope said. “They’re that good. They’re so good that they can play bad and still win big. You could talk endlessly about how great that program is. We’re excited to go up and fight. Our guys believe that we can win. We believe we can win. I think our guys have a sense of how hard this is. But this is what you love as athletes and coaches — to have a chance
    Prefect. True.

Back on topic, you can really see this shine through when they play Ryan, Joel, Admon, Kispert and Tillie together. Cory is strong enough to handle the forwards and the three guards are so athletic and can really get out on the shooters and get in passing lanes. It just pushes the offence a little further away from the basket to make sure the passes don’t get deflected so it throws off the timing a bit. I really love that lineup.

One thing that is apparent is that Killian and Admon are getting their legs back. Just looking springy again and look what it’s done to the D. Tillie can guard the perimeter and is back to getting up and blocking shots quicker. Admon can actually move again. Love to see it.

Fair enough.

Ya I remember when this came up earlier and if you actually listen to the interview he clearly meant to say underrated because everything else he says before and after is nothing but praise, just misspoke. He also says earlier in the interview that hes not that smart, reaffirms my take.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    I was reading an article today from the Deseret News and I came across this quote “I felt like we didn’t get as good of looks that we usually get,” Haws said. “I had a lot of contested 3s. They’re really long and they’re really good defensively.” The quote reminded me of some insight Adam Morrison provided during the GU-BYU post game radio show. Morrison noted this edition of the Zags has exceptional length and athleticism, something rarely seen in the WCC. Morrison said the length of the Zags is a particular problem for the Zags WCC opponents, who, when "they run their stuff" that typically allows them to get off a decent shot, against the Zags more often than not, there is a hand, arm or face in the way. While there are other leagues and teams around the country who have GU type athletes Morrison feels, particularly in the WCC, GU's length is a huge factor. The quote above reinforces Morrison's point. Here is a link to the article:

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...childs-tj-haws
    it's not just length...ayayi and woolridge, while neither is explosive vertically, are extremely quick with both hands and feet. i've gotten on ayayi for not defending and closing out with his hands up, but one of the side effects of playing with your arms down is that when he does choose to spread his wings it seems to surprise his opponent.

I saw that. He was clearly mocking those who make that claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time