Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martynas and Pavel

Default Martynas and Pavel

It baffles me that when we are up 20+ in these games that Pavel and Martynas are not
    getting playing time. When both have seen action I have seen them be at least competent to not affect a 20+ point game, especially in WCC games. Both were highly rated prior to college and as seen by Watson going down and Petrusev now.. we may need these guys at some point. Why not get them more game action with the starters rather than 3 minutes with the bench guys at the end? We have a great 7 man rotation but if injuries or foul trouble occurs, which is a good likelihood if we plan to make a deep March run and have to play 5-7 games.. we are going to need these guys!! Not to even mention they will be contributors next year as well. Let’s get them run when we are up 20+

I have often wondered this as well, although as a counterpoint I was thinking to myself last night that maybe Few wants to make sure the core guys get used to playing full 40 minute games so come March we don’t run out of gas in crunch time.

Again, I too am in favor of more time for them, but I also give Few the absolute benefit of the doubt.

For whatever reason, that has never been Few’s MO. And I imagine that this year’s Arizona game probably is still in his mind too... read a quote recently that he didn’t want to put in the second string and let the other team get a run going (maybe after the San Diego game??). Even though the Arizona game wasn’t second stringers letting that run happen, a team like BYU especially can make 3-4 quick 3’s get some momentum going, and all of a sudden you’re in a close game.

Other teams (and bigger leads...) definitely seem to call for more time for Arlauskas and Zhakerov, but I get not playing them against BYU.

I imagine that if Petrusev is out for a couple weeks then we might see those two get some PT when the cow chi jig staff can actually game plan them in and prep them for their specific rolls in those specific games. I can’t imagine trying to go with a six man rotation for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    I have often wondered this as well, although as a counterpoint I was thinking to myself last night that maybe Few wants to make sure the core guys get used to playing full 40 minute games so come March we don’t run out of gas in crunch time.

Again, I too am in favor of more time for them, but I also give Few the absolute benefit of the doubt.
    We've had issues of tiring at the end of intense games in March before. Probably why Few wants their conditioning to be able to handle 35+ minutes. He strongly tends to not switch guys out in the final 10 minutes of close games in March. Did the same thing against Tech last year and everyone wondered why Tillie wasn't being subbed in.

I don't care about them not playing garbage minutes, though I'd be nice, but maybe we'll see 10+ minutes from one or more of them in games against LMU, Portland, San Diego and Pepperdine...

If we play a physical team in March, then we need someone like Marty to throw his weight around. Who cares if he picks up four or five fouls; it's not like we rely on him for scoring. BYU tried to get physical with us last night, and we sent them home crying to their mommies. But if we get to the Final Four, we are going to play someone a whole lot better than BYU, count on it.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Marty needs to play when game is close. Blowout minutes are worthless.

They don’t play for the same reason Collins barely played for most of the season. No clue what that reason might be.

Trust.

Those two don't have it yet, for whatever the reason.

I suspect BYU became somewhat of a statement game because of all of the Baylor talk. The longer recruits see Zags atop the polls at #1 the better.

They have a week to get reps in practice with the regular rotation before Pacific comes calling. The Tigers have some beef inside to prepare for. . .

I think managing playing time, rotations and substitution patterns is extremely hard at this level of basketball. You never want to kill momentum or take out the hot hand. Things were cruising against a potentially high powered team in BYU. The 20 pt lead could turn to 10 in the blink of an eye then you have lost momentum. I understand wanting to see more of those two and I think they have potential I also get the stress of it all for the coaching staff. They have the most on the line if they screw things up. We just get to be along for the ride.

Martynas looks to me like he could provide some good bench mins. This season the Zags have had few instances of foul trouble. That might not be the case going forward and especially at the Dance. Pavel looks a bit less ready for prime time than Martynas - seems a bit unsure of what to do in some situations. Martynas has a drive about him - like he's bent on working his way into the rotation. I think Ayayi is a good role model for Martynas (work hard and it will happen). What I like best about the Zags is how many a Zag has gotten quite good care of Few & gang & GU's overall program.
    Last edited by Zagger; 01-19-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Some of the fouls we gave last night seemed to be messages to BYU. They still have guys who look like football players. Guess they always will. It was fun to see Joel getting position to rebound among their hulks. He can be scrappy. All of our guards are fearless. Martynas too.
    Parlez-vous français?

It's just more important for the regular rotation guys to get work than it is for non-rotation guys to get work. We all agree playing game minutes together is different than practice minutes. The rotation still needs a LOT of work together.

Few is not alone in this. Most coaches at major program, whether basketball or football, do much the same thing. They will rides their “1’s” to the near end of the game no matter the score. Few was a little different the other night with Santa Clara when he began major substitutions around the 6 minute mark putting in some “2’s”. Sometimes I don’t get it. In blow-out games, why risk injury to your 1’s? If it were me I would substitute more often when up by a safe margin and remove the risk of injuries to my starters and give the “2’s” and “3’s” game experience which is different than practice reps. And I guess that’s why I am a fan and not a soon to be a hall of fame coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    It's just more important for the regular rotation guys to get work than it is for non-rotation guys to get work. We all agree playing game minutes together is different than practice minutes. The rotation still needs a LOT of work together.
    This is the best explanation for me. Last night, for instance, Few had to go with the 4 guard offense because Petrusev went down. I believe Petrusev will be out for a couple of weeks, maybe 3 weeks. So Few needed to give this 4 guard offense more playing time together because they will need the experience in the next few weeks. There is a fair possibility that Petrusev may not be ready for the Road Games against Santa Clara and San Francisco in two weeks. It's more likely, I believe, that Few is going to go with the 4 guards offense rather than playing Martynas more. As some have pointed out, Martynas has played well and that's a good thing. But in the coaches' opinions, he is not playing well enough to get more playing time than he is getting. Trusting Mark Few is the key. He knows exactly what is going on and what both the team and the individuals need. Few, in my view of things, believes in bringing the players along slowly, and I think, especially the international players. Look how long Ayayi has had to wait. Look how long Rui had to wait. Look how long Petrusev has been waiting. I think in all of the cases that many fans, including me, felt that at least some of these players could have been playing more. I felt that way about Rui and also about AYayi. Even Tillie played limited minutes his Freshman year. He played way less minutes that year than a say THAT Timme IS PLAYING this year.

IMO That's just how Mark Few is. Trust his and his assistants is the key. The players do it, so I believe we can too.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

They aren’t ready to contribute at this level. Last year, Filip got quality minutes as a freshman. While I like them, these two are not in the same category as Filip was last year. We’ll see if that changes next year.

There’s that, and what everybody else has written above.

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    They don’t play for the same reason Collins barely played for most of the season. No clue what that reason might be.
    You don't know the reason but you're sure it's the same reason? Or is your memory betraying you?

Collins averaged 17.3 mins per game on the year.
    He averaged 18 in conference, 18 exactly in his 6 tournament games, and 16.9 in the OOC (first 12 games half of the year).

Is 16.9 minutes "barely playing" but 18 minutes a different category of usage?

Thought Collins had a little issue with fouls.

Issue was being so obviously good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Thought Collins had a little issue with fouls.
    Collins committed 6.2 per/40, his fellow freshman big Tillie that year 5.9 per/40.
    Ryan Edwards lead the team at 7 per/40.

Collins' minutes were very consistent throughout the year in the OOC, conference, and ncaa tournament.

His fouls (6 per/40min) were consistent in the OOC and conference games, in the tournament they rose to 7.4 per/40 (he fouled out against Xavier and UNC).

It seems like the choices are:

Try to maintain a 6-man rotation to keep the #1 ranking. This increases the risk of another injury (or burning out right before the dance). If there is another injury, you have to play guys who aren't used to playing with one another and haven't been tested in high-pressure games or...

Take your lumps now, work two new guys into the primary rotation and hope the team gels in March.

Few can work in Arlauskas and Zakharov while there is a choice or gamble that the choice will be made for him.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    It seems like the choices are:

Try to maintain a 6-man rotation to keep the #1 ranking. This increases the risk of another injury (or burning out right before the dance). If there is another injury, you have to play guys who aren't used to playing with one another and haven't been tested in high-pressure games or...

Take your lumps now, work two new guys into the primary rotation and hope the team gels in March.

Few can work in Arlauskas and Zakharov while there is a choice or gamble that the choice will be made for him.
    In my mind there is no "taking your lumps" I'm wcc play, outside of the top 3 or so teams. There is no reason that we shouldn't be able to dominate still with one of those two guys playing a few minutes here and there. It's just good insurance and I've never understood why we don't do it more.

I sure hope Few is following this board so he can get all of this really good feedback from people who clearly know more about Basketball, man management and winning than he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    I sure hope Few is following this board so he can get all of this really good feedback from people who clearly know more about Basketball, man management and winning than he does.
    Ain't that the truth. sarc.