Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martynas and Pavel

I am not awfully concerned about them getting garbage minutes at the end of a game. They practice daily against the best players in the WCC and just based on the improvements from Petrusev and Ayayi this season, I think they are getting the development that will make them better. Playing end of game minutes against guys that are already beat or the bench from a team that is already given up isn’t development, it’s just finishing out the clock. Just my two cents worth on the subject.

No offense Dixie, but I seriously doubt that Mark Few even considers fan critiques.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Posted on the Petrusev thread:

I have no knowledge of actual Zag operations etc., but I don't expect Petrusev this weekend, at all, and I DO expect Pavel to play against Pacific.

He is a big body and a space eater. I expect he will be the third wheel of the Tillie/Timme substitution rotation
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I recall Arizona's coach saying, in an interview after the game, that he felt his team played well against the Zags until Few switched to the 4 Guard offense. He said his team was unable to handle them. And that was the first time that Few used this lineup. They are getting much, much better at playing in this lineup. The cohesion and chemistry is just awesome.

Go Zags!!!
    yep, here's a link to lots of Miller quotes after that game regarding that and other keys

the multiple 2nd half adjustments on both ends of the floor is so much fun to follow on Few's teams

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ns/2670335001/

I'll get torched for this....but here goes.

The Zags play better when they aren't trying to force feed Petrusev. Filip is a valuable piece on this team but at this point he isn't nearly as versatile as Tillie and the munchkins lineup.

I'm looking forward to Few employing small ball for a few more minutes than he has even when Filip gets healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Watch the Arizona game again.

The EXACT same occurrence.

We doubled our lead the very moment we moved to the 3-guard lineup with Kispert at the 4. Part of the effectiveness/comeback vs Oregon too. And in 2nd half vs UW at times.

Teams have yet to contain the guards size and quickness, along with Kispert driving on the opponents 4 man. He is big and sizable enough to pull it off.

Hoping we see more of it, it could be the difference b/w a Sweet 16 exit or a Final 4 birth. Coach Few finally praised it post-BYU as he has been reluctant to give it props when asked by reporters, analysts, announcers, saying "its only out of necessity" and kind of down-playing it as something they will use.

He changed his tune recently.
    Maybe Few doesn't want teams to prepare for the 3 guard lineup. It works great as a change of pace but maybe works best after all the body-blows have softened things up on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post

The Zags play better when they aren't trying to force feed Petrusev. Filip is a valuable piece on this team but at this point he isn't nearly as versatile as Tillie and the munchkins lineup.

I'm looking forward to Few employing small ball for a few more minutes than he has even when Filip gets healthy.
    No torching - I bet your view isn't so rare.

6'7", 6'5" (with ++wingspan), 6'4" jacked, & 6'3" is hardly a bunch of munchkins (but I get what you're saying).

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    Maybe Few doesn't want teams to prepare for the 3 guard lineup. It works great as a change of pace but maybe works best after all the body-blows have softened things up on the inside.
    this. the Team makes things difficult to prepare for

and no torching Markburn

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    What is that an example of?

What does this have to do with statistics and again, what stats would at all be relevant to your claim above, about someone "proving" the staff does or doesn't have a handle on Arlauskas' quality practice time?
    i can't speak for gozags, but looking at the links he posted i would guess his point is that you strangely seemed to be trying to use statistics to "prove" that gilder was a "disappointment" to "knowledgeable posters" (whatever that means) when based on his play of late it seems he was simply still recovering from injury. that would be akin to using statistics to imply that tillie has been a disappointment...

It pains me to watch the ‘force feeding’ at times and especially when I’m begging Tillie to just up and nail a 3. However, Filip is pretty darn good at getting that bouncy round thing down through that net holder. I have to remind myself where a goodly portion of Zag points are coming from. It’s all good to this fan though as Munchkin Method or Serb Soufflé it’s paying off in wins and increases the arrows in Few’s quiver. It also makes for exciting basketball .... and excitement on this board ....
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Agreed, especially since it seems like he feels the pressure to force it in almost every time, rather than pass out if there's nothing there.

Scoring through Filip in the post is among our most efficient plays on offense. There's a reason he's the PPG leader. Yes, we force it in to him at times, but there is good reason to.

Filip draws double teams a lot. Yes, he can be better at passing out of them, but it's worth it to remember he draws an absurd amount of fouls called on him. That puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team's defense & opens other portions of the Zag offense up.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i can't speak for gozags, but looking at the links he posted i would guess his point is that you strangely seemed to be trying to use statistics to "prove" that gilder was a "disappointment" to "knowledgeable posters" (whatever that means) when based on his play of late it seems he was simply still recovering from injury. that would be akin to using statistics to imply that tillie has been a disappointment...
    Thanks that might be an accurate summary of those views and objections.
    I think disappointment is simply the difference between expected results and results.
    Perhaps my expectations were too high, I tried to base them on past performance.

I was disappointed last year that Perkins’ shoulder repair didn’t lead to higher (than when injured) 3pt or ft %. I am disappointed that ravet left the team and disappointed that Watson’s injuries (never injured in high school) cost him a season. I’ll be disappointed in Tillie’s 3 pt shot if it ends up 10% below career numbers. (Would expect a small drop off with new line).

I understand that the “D word”’has an emotional resonance or connotation which bothers some contributors, but I’m genuinely unsure how one should shape expectations for future results without looking at results of the recent past.

Woolridge 3pt%, Corey’s rim scoring, and Ayayi’s rebounding and overall scoring have been major positive surprises (results>expectations of results) but there’s no English language word for an anti-dissapointment.

there’s no English language word for an anti-dissapointment
    antidissapointmentarianism

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Scoring through Filip in the post is among our most efficient plays on offense. There's a reason he's the PPG leader. Yes, we force it in to him at times, but there is good reason to.

Filip draws double teams a lot. Yes, he can be better at passing out of them, but it's worth it to remember he draws an absurd amount of fouls called on him. That puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team's defense & opens other portions of the Zag offense up.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    there’s no English language word for an anti-dissapointment
    antidissapointmentarianism
    Satisfaction

Thanks that might be an accurate summary of those views and objections.
    I think disappointment is simply the difference between expected results and results.
    Perhaps my expectations were too high, I tried to base them on past performance.

I was disappointed last year that Perkins’ shoulder repair didn’t lead to higher (than when injured) 3pt or ft %. I am disappointed that ravet left the team and disappointed that Watson’s injuries (never injured in high school) cost him a season. I’ll be disappointed in Tillie’s 3 pt shot if it ends up 10% below career numbers. (Would expect a small drop off with new line).
    I understand that the “D word”’has an emotional resonance or connotation which bothers some contributors, but I’m genuinely unsure how one should shape expectations for future results without looking at results of the recent past.
    Woolridge 3pt%, Corey’s rim scoring, and Ayayi’s rebounding and overall scoring have been major positive surprises (results>expectations of results) but there’s no English language word for an anti-dissapointment.
    hmmn...you definitely need to find a different word to use or at least phrase it differently...right now when people look at your posts as written it is easy to simply read as:

gilder has been a disappointment.

there's a big difference between your personal disappointment in a statistical outcome vs. in essence stating that an individual is a disappointment, especially when that person has been recovering from injury.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    hmmn...you definitely need to find a different word to use or at least phrase it differently...right now when people look at your posts as written it is easy to simply read as:

gilder has been a disappointment.

there's a big difference between your personal disappointment in a statistical outcome vs. in essence stating that an individual is a disappointment, especially when that person has been recovering from injury.
    Thanks, WallaWalla.

How do you think most people define "disappointment" in reference to a sports performance outcome?

Thanks, WallaWalla.

How do you think most people define "disappointment" in reference to a sports performance outcome?
    well...instead of " i was disappointed that" -- how about "i was expecting better" or to be even more gracious "i was hoping for better"

think of it this way, would you go up to perkins and say: hey josh, i was really disappointed in your three point shooting percentage last year...

or would you possibly say: hey man, after you finally got your shoulder fixed, i was hoping you would shoot the 3 ball even better than before...

now i probably wouldn't even say the second one to his face, but i would have no problem if someone posted something in that tone.

Thanks, WallaWalla.

also, even within "disappointment" there's a subtle but important difference between: a) i'm disappointed in gilder's efficiency so far vs. b) gilder's been a disappointment

and i've completely derailed this thread...