Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martynas and Pavel

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    They aren’t ready to contribute at this level. Last year, Filip got quality minutes as a freshman. While I like them, these two are not in the same category as Filip was last year. We’ll see if that changes next year.
    This.

They may or may not be ready to play at this level. That's nice if you have the luxury of not needing them. But the possibly of being faced with a 6 man rotation for several games changes the equation. If one of our 3 available guards gets hurt or in foul trouble is it Lang rather than a somewhat prepared Martynas? Our #7 and #8 should come in separately to play with the big boys. Throwing them in with the end of the bench in garbage time does not teach them anything. Depending upon the extent of the latest injury, desperate times call for desperate measures

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    I sure hope Few is following this board so he can get all of this really good feedback from people who clearly know more about Basketball, man management and winning than he does.
    What's wrong with swapping around issues/ideas?

Few is a HOF coach but given he's human, I suspect he's made a mistake here and there, had some regrets.

Nothing wrong with some criticism and some of it comes from people that know a lot of basketball, too.

I seriously doubt Few feels threatened by some well-meaning scrutiny and critique.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Ain't that the truth. sarc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    What's wrong with swapping around issues/ideas?

Few is a HOF coach but given he's human, I suspect he's made a mistake here and there, had some regrets.

Nothing wrong with some criticism and some of it comes from people that know a lot of basketball, too.

I seriously doubt Few feels threatened by some well-meaning scrutiny and critique.
    Thanks. I have coached collegiately, trained some nba all stars... know a thing or two. Definitely and obviously no where near Few but if we aren’t able to express opinions about playing time or rotations just because Few knows more than us, this board would be game recaps and recruiting news only.. and posts about tacos or whatever other random stuff is tossed around

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Thanks. I have coached collegiately, trained some nba all stars... know a thing or two. Definitely and obviously no where near Few but if we aren’t able to express opinions about playing time or rotations just because Few knows more than us, this board would be game recaps and recruiting news only.. and posts about tacos or whatever other random stuff is tossed around
    Agreed and thanks for starting this topic.

I understand wanting depth as far as covering (more) injuries and having particular matchups, but is there really any problems with fatigue from too much playing?

I'm curious or skeptical about player fatigue when I see many peers of these GU players who are in the NBA involved in 3 60minute games per week. I know those guys don't have classes and homework, but many do have families and other non b-ball concerns. If NBA players can consistently play 84 games, each an hour long, at 3x per week, shouldn't veteran D1 players with NBA aspirations be able to handle playing 35mins 2x per week?

Looks to me that you, and others who have the same opinion on this issue as you do, are certainly free to express yourself on this forum. Your posts are here on the Board, and we're reading them. I think one thing you need to accept is that sometimes other fans who post here disagree with you sometimes. Like now. Just because your post is accepted here, doesn't mean that you are right. It just means that your opinion is accepted as part of the debate or conversation. Some agree with you, and maybe a little more don't. To have an opinion, like I do, that Mark Few probably knows more than you (and others) do, especially when it comes to how to manage playing time with his players is an example of me disagreeing with you.

We would all agree that right now Petrusev is injured, but we don't know how long he will be out. Who knows? Maybe he will play Saturday. Or maybe a week from Thursday. Playing time for players is one of the main jobs for the head coach. His assistants provide really good info to him about this issue, and together they make decisions. Personally, I will accept the coaches decisions without criticism. That's me. And I think you should be free to express yourself here, which you are. So why complain? We need to be free to disagree with you. I have not read where anyone here has said that you, or others, shouldn't be able to express themselves, if done in an appropriate way. You seem to be whining when there's no reason to.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 01-19-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Looks to me that you, and others who have the same opinion on this issue as you do, are certainly free to express yourself on this forum. Your posts are here on the Board, and we're reading them. I think one thing you need to accept is that sometimes other fans who post here disagree with you sometimes. Like now. Just because your post is accepted here, doesn't mean that you are right. It just means that your opinion is accepted as part of the debate or conversation. Some agree with you, and maybe a little more don't. To have an opinion, like I do, that Mark Few probably knows more than you (and others) do, especially when it comes to how to manage playing time with his players.

We would all agree that right now Petrusev is injured, but we don't know how long he will be out. Who knows? Maybe he will play Saturday. Or maybe a week from Thursday. Playing time for players is one of the main job for the head coach. His assistant provide really good info to him about this issue and together they make decisions. Personally, I will accept the coaches decisions without criticism. That's me. And I think you should be free to express yourself here, which you are. So why complain? We need to be free to disagree with you. I have not read where anyone here has sad that you, or others shouldn't be able to express themselves, if done in an appropriate way. You seem to be whining when there's no reason to.

Go Zags!!!
    Hmm... like a lot of your posts.. a lot of words.. not a ton make sense..

I was attacked w snark about expressing my opinion because Coach Few can’t make mistakes. If you want to get personal, we can do that, as I clearly remember times where you acted like a petulant 5 year old because someone wrote a game recap before you got to it.. like a game recap is saved for “Reborn’s rights only”.. ... now THAT was “whining”

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    It seems like the choices are:

Try to maintain a 6-man rotation to keep the #1 ranking. This increases the risk of another injury (or burning out right before the dance). If there is another injury, you have to play guys who aren't used to playing with one another and haven't been tested in high-pressure games or...

Take your lumps now, work two new guys into the primary rotation and hope the team gels in March.

Few can work in Arlauskas and Zakharov while there is a choice or gamble that the choice will be made for him.
    I think these are the two choices. But the risk that you run in "taking your lumps now" is that it might cost some seeding lines which in turn make the path to Atlanta even that much more difficult. My suspicion is that Few would prefer to keep "rolling the dice" with the 6-7 players that give him the best chance to win the game in front of him. And then adjust fire when need be. Unless somebody here has access to an alternate, parallel universe, we will never know which answer was better but that is why Few is making $3MM+/yr on his way to the HOF.

Zagsfanforlife - your private messages inbox is full.

I just watched the game replay twice, and the Zags were only up by 7 points n the second half with 15 minutes to play when Petrusev got injured. Timme played the next five minutes with Tillie. Then at the 10 minute mark Few went the last ten minutes or so with the four guard offense, and that's when the Zags took over the game and increased their lead to 27 points before winning by 25.

I will say the four guard offense was brilliant. They spread the court, and like was pointed out earlier, they began to penetrate to the basket off the dribble. BYU could not defend our guards' penetration to the basket. In this offense Tillie plays on the outside like a guard. It's a five out offense, and Tillie fortunately has the skills of a guard, even though he's 6' 10". Tillie passes like a guard, and he consistently took his man off the dribble just like the guards were doing. This group was fast, quick, intelligent with fantastic passing and dribble penetration.

I tried to watch the defense carefully, and I only saw one or two uncontested three point shots by BYU. The replay was a 25 min replay without interruptions, so I'm sure it missed some plays, but all of the scoring plays were shown. I was really impressed with the defense. Woolridge did a great job on Hawes. Few calls him the best defending guard EVER. And that has to include Williams-Goss, Gary Bell and Steven Gray. The best ever is the best EVER. I tend to agree with him. I'll tell you another really good defender is Tillie. One of the big reasons Gonzaga did such a good job on Hawes was Tillie often had to switch with Woolridge on the pick and role. Hawes couldn't score on Tillie either. And believe it or not, Kispert did a great job at the 4. The main thing I noticed about the four guard offense is how fast and quick our guards plus Tillie are. And all five guys can shoot the 3 ball so it's very difficult to double team our guys; and at least BYU could not guard us one on one. We shot many layups against them.

Gonzaga may be more dangerous with the four guard offense.

ALSO WHO KNOWS, as I said earlier, Petrusev might be back sooner than many think. ALSO Gonzaga does not miss a beat when Timme comes in for Petrusev. And honestly, I believe Timme is a better defender than Petrusev. So I think the Zags will be fine as Petrusev heals. AND who knows, Few may surprise us by playing Martynas.

Go Zags!!!

Looks to me that you, and others who have the same opinion on this issue as you do, are certainly free to express yourself on this forum. Your posts are here on the Board, and we're reading them. I think one thing you need to accept is that sometimes other fans who post here disagree with you sometimes. Like now. Just because your post is accepted here, doesn't mean that you are right. It just means that your opinion is accepted as part of the debate or conversation. Some agree with you, and maybe a little more don't. To have an opinion, like I do, that Mark Few probably knows more than you (and others) do, especially when it comes to how to manage playing time with his players.

We would all agree that right now Petrusev is injured, but we don't know how long he will be out. Who knows? Maybe he will play Saturday. Or maybe a week from Thursday. Playing time for players is one of the main job for the head coach. His assistant provide really good info to him about this issue and together they make decisions. Personally, I will accept the coaches decisions without criticism. That's me. And I think you should be free to express yourself here, which you are. So why complain? We need to be free to disagree with you. I have not read where anyone here has sad that you, or others shouldn't be able to express themselves, if done in an appropriate way. You seem to be whining when there's no reason to.

Go Zags!!!
    The central issue Bornie here is that some posters take it as a personal affront when their comments aren't agreed with. I got over that a long time ago, that's the benefit of raising 3 kids. Throw in a wife with six sisters, and you can imagine the number times anyone agrees with me (hint, it's in single digits).

What the heck, I'll toss in my 2 cents...I have absolutely no concerns about player utilization. Every game the Zags will play for the rest of the season will be on television, which means TV time outs every 4 minutes of play.

We're dealing with a team that has more new faces than we can recall in recent memory. Our defensive breakdowns can be laid at the feet of that. Great defense requires great communication, which can be pretty tough for the Zags, considering the diversity of homelands for Zag players...and yes, I include Texas in there as a separate country. Actually, it's North Texas for Ryan, Admon, and Drew, and shouldn't be confused with South, West, or Hill Country Texas. Allow me to put it this way: in North Texas, EVERYTHING is a competition, be it sports, academics, band, drill team, etc. That's what our 3 North Texans bring to the table, and you can see it in the way they play the game. We haven't seen a "motor" like Drew's since Mike Hart.

Ok, I digress...the last ten games in conference will be spread over six weeks, i.e. two weeks with only one game each, the other 4 with two games. For these superbly conditioned athletes, that is a walk in the park. We'll have two games in the WCC tournament, followed by ten days between Selection Sunday and our first game in the Dance.

Injuries are always a risk, but IMO they won't come from fatigue. I do expect Martynas and Pavel to see spot minutes, depending upon the situation. For example, Martynas was inserted at the end of the first half of a game, where we had foul trouble. Pavel's been showing some quickness as of late, so he's developing as well.

I'm excited about the wrinkles Few will put into the system, and they'll be certain to flummox our opponents. I've never coached, but I've been around long enough to see a lot of basketball, going all the way back to seeing Wilt Chamberlain live in the 1962 season.

I also "nailed it" on Drew, so I've got that going for me.

Feel free to post whatever you want, I enjoy your views and everyone else's here. For the record, though, what the hell is wrong with the posts about tacos?

I'm sure there are many out there who are tired of my stories and pictures, but it doesn't stop me from posting them, and no mod has ever told me to lay off.

This board is great! It has no peer IMO, just try and navigate BYU's board for comparison.

10 more league games. and then WCC and NCAA tournaments. I'd say Pavel and Marty will be needed and they need to get their game shapes on. 10 regular games plus 2 WCC tournament games and 4-6 NCAA tournament games. We have nearly half the season to pay with a total 16-18 more games. It's a lot to play with only 6-7 guys.

Coaches make mistakes, humans make mistakes. Few has made mistakes both in the short and long term and discusses them as what he learned from. Occasionally a fan base will have a long standing criticism of a coach's trait, which history will show to have been correct. There is a huge gap between god and few. As long as this gap exists, I think it is important exercise our opinions about where we think Few could do something better, if we want. I don't think Few would mind, and it is fun for us, and many members of this board learn a lot about basketball and our players for the privilege of reading and discussing in here.

I ssuspect Martynas and Pavels game minutes depends largely on how they play defense. From the small sample size I've seen I'd say that Pavel is somewhat behind the curve. He and to a lesser degree Timme and Petro too often look like they are playing musical chairs. IMO Timme is much more improved in that regard esp the last 2 or 3 games. If you are a defensive liability your minutes are limited. I think by next year they will be fine. There are a lot of teams that employ a 7 man rotation, it is not that unusual. More than likely Marty will be seeing more quality practice minutes this week. No inside info here, but I'm pretty sure the staff has a good handle on the situation.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    No inside info here, but I'm pretty sure the staff has a good handle on the situation.
    Nah ... I'm pretty sure we have an expert (or two) on the Board who can find and post stats that "prove" otherwise.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

In the post game radio show after we learned that Anton would be out for the year, Michaelson said that both Pavel and Martynas would be getting minutes. Said they were both making great strides. I suspect we will start seeing them in some upcoming games. BYU may not have been the right game.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Nah ... I'm pretty sure we have an expert (or two) on the Board who can find and post stats that "prove" otherwise.
    What theoretical stats would be relevant to a discussion of how the staff handles a situation of giving Arlauskas more quality practice minutes this week?

I'm sincerely curious, since you brought it up.

Or was that just a snarky passive aggressive way to signal that you dislike what you see as an excessive contribution of statistics to some discussions?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    What theoretical stats would be relevant to a discussion of how the staff handles a situation of giving Arlauskas more quality practice minutes this week?

Or was that just a snarky passive aggressive way to signal that you dislike what you see as an excessive contribution of statistics to some discussions?
    According to Mark Twain, there are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    According to Mark Twain, there are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.
    This clears things up...

(By the way Twain didn't coin that phrase, and he himself first published it as a mistaken quote taken from the British prime minister, though it had been seen in print multiple times before that)

This clears things up...

(By the way Twain didn't coin that phrase, and he himself first published it as a mistaken quote taken from the British prime minister, though it had been seen in print multiple times before that)
    Good catch!

https://www.azquotes.com/author/1488...wain/tag/lying

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
    O/T, but our beloved accounting professor, "Black Dan" Brajcich, used numbers once during the 3 years he was my teacher (30+ semester hours). I recall it well: "you own two pigs, and one of them dies. How do you account for the loss?" Whereupon he explained the accounting theory for that example in a 10 minute dissertation.

ETA: I was equally dismayed to discover that Mark Twain did not author this famous line, "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

https://www.anchorbrewing.com/blog/t...what-says-who/

It was just a General comment, not calling anyone out in particular.

But since you've called me out, I'll give an example. Oh ... and it IS my belief that the staff "might" know a few things that don't tie to statistics.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...59#post1495559
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...36#post1495536

BTW, I'm thrilled that Admon is healing quicker than expected .... and I think it shows on the floor. But anyone can be disappointed ... in our guys ... in our staff .... anything they want to be disappointed in. But again, it IS my belief that the staff "might" know a few things that don't tie to statistics.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I just watched the game replay twice, and the Zags were only up by 7 points n the second half with 15 minutes to play when Petrusev got injured. Timme played the next five minutes with Tillie. Then at the 10 minute mark Few went the last ten minutes or so with the four guard offense, and that's when the Zags took over the game and increased their lead to 27 points before winning by 25.

I will say the four guard offense was brilliant. They spread the court, and like was pointed out earlier, they began to penetrate to the basket off the dribble. BYU could not defend our guards' penetration to the basket. In this offense Tillie plays on the outside like a guard. It's a five out offense, and Tillie fortunately has the skills of a guard, even though he's 6' 10". Tillie passes like a guard, and he consistently took his man off the dribble just like the guards were doing. This group was fast, quick, intelligent with fantastic passing and dribble penetration.

Go Zags!!!
    Watch the Arizona game again.

The EXACT same occurrence.

We doubled our lead the very moment we moved to the 3-guard lineup with Kispert at the 4. Part of the effectiveness/comeback vs Oregon too. And in 2nd half vs UW at times.

Teams have yet to contain the guards size and quickness, along with Kispert driving on the opponents 4 man. He is big and sizable enough to pull it off.

Hoping we see more of it, it could be the difference b/w a Sweet 16 exit or a Final 4 birth. Coach Few finally praised it post-BYU as he has been reluctant to give it props when asked by reporters, analysts, announcers, saying "its only out of necessity" and kind of down-playing it as something they will use.

He changed his tune recently.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    It was just a General comment, not calling anyone out in particular.

But since you've called me out, I'll give an example. Oh ... and it IS my belief that the staff "might" know a few things that don't tie to statistics.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...59#post1495559
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...36#post1495536

BTW, I'm thrilled that Admon is healing quicker than expected .... and I think it shows on the floor. But anyone can be disappointed ... in our guys ... in our staff .... anything they want to be disappointed in. But again, it IS my belief that the staff "might" know a few things that don't tie to statistics.
    What is that an example of?

What does this have to do with statistics and again, what stats would at all be relevant to your claim above, about someone "proving" the staff does or doesn't have a handle on Arlauskas' quality practice time?

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Watch the Arizona game again.

The EXACT same occurrence.

We doubled our lead the very moment we moved to the 3-guard lineup with Kispert at the 4. Part of the effectiveness/comeback vs Oregon too. And in 2nd half vs UW at times.

Teams have yet to contain the guards size and quickness, along with Kispert driving on the opponents 4 man. He is big and sizable enough to pull it off.
    I recall Arizona's coach saying, in an interview after the game, that he felt his team played well against the Zags until Few switched to the 4 Guard offense. He said his team was unable to handle them. And that was the first time that Few used this lineup. They are getting much, much better at playing in this lineup. The cohesion and chemistry is just awesome.

Go Zags!!!