Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs BYU Post Game thoughts, analysis, media

Could be another deep run.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I believe it was the best I have seen this team play.

The spacing and ball movement on offense is how you draw it up. The players are hitting their shots. The offense was a joy to watch. They are scoring in transition. They are rebounding.

Very good outing.
    Always good insight from MickMick. You never have a bad post. Carry on.

I say again, the 3 guard, Kispert, Tils as the maitre’d lineup is the most potent and a tough matchup for any team. Tils is a magician distributor from the top of the key and can go down low easier. And the key is not clogged so our swift guards penetrate. Gilder’s surge makes this possible. And Tils’ composure. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I believe it was the best I have seen this team play.

The spacing and ball movement on offense is how you draw it up. The players are hitting their shots. The offense was a joy to watch. They are scoring in transition. They are rebounding.

Very good outing.
    and competing w focused intensity on D. This team is committed on both ends. Love it
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I say again, the 3 guard, Kispert, Tils as the maitre’d lineup is the most potent and a tough matchup for any team. Tils is a magician distributor from the top of the key and can go down low easier. And the key is not clogged so our swift guards penetrate. Gilder’s surge makes this possible. And Tils’ composure. Brilliant.
    Agreed, w lineup of Woolridge, Ayayi, Gilder, Kispert, Tillie the offense was lifted up and we saw Gilder, Ayayi, Kispert all drive to the rim for buckets. Good seeing Zags attack the rim and finish.

This group playing extended minutes together w Kispert at the 4 was really good. They could switch everything on D. Lot of deep shooters in that lineup. Man that was just beautiful basketball. Zags attack quick on offense love to share the rock.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Let’s hope we see more of it. Few does love the dump down game.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Agreed, w lineup of Woolridge, Ayayi, Gilder, Kispert, Tillie the offense was lifted up and we saw Gilder, Ayayi, Kispert all drive to the rim for buckets. Good seeing Zags attack the rim and finish.

This group playing extended minutes together w Kispert at the 4 was really good. They could switch everything on D. Lot of deep shooters in that lineup. Man that was just beautiful basketball. Zags attack quick on offense love to share the rock.

Regarding the 2nd half ......
    https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...childs-tj-haws

Gonzaga put a stranglehold on BYU in the second half, shooting 74 percent from the field (17 of 23). The Zags outscored the Cougars 12-2 in second-chance points and 19-3 on fast break opportunities
    BYU just could not get in any rhythm - nor make many shots the Zags did give them. I attribute that to the Zags clogging things up on D. They made BYU look slow.

Sure hope Filip’s injury heals up well & quickly! He’s been such a dependable force for GU that he’ll be sorely missed if he does miss any games or is slowed down. He’s been getting quicker and quicker this season - even on fast breaks.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I somehow get this feeling that if Childs returns for the game in Provo that it could be the toughest WCC game of the season for GU.

The defense is continuing to not impress. If the goal is just to win the WCC and secure a top 3 seed in the NCAA's and play the first two in Spokane, I think GU is in pretty good shape, but if GU wants to make the final four, they have to stop letting opponents shoot like BYU to shoot 51% from the floor. I understand that BYU's biggest threat is the 3pt. shot, and the Zags held the Cougars to 6/20 from three, but there were WAY TOO MANY easy shots near the basket. GU will lose at the Marriott Center if they allow those amount of open looks.

The Petrusev injury sucks, but the Zags are only playing 1 game next week, and while Pacific is no push over, at least the game is not until Saturday and it is at the Kennel. I know the Zags just annihilated SCU, but the games at the Leavey Center are always tough. GU could really use Petrusev for the SCU road game.

This lineup is the reason we won a ton of these games.

Coach Few is continually asked the 3 guards lineup during various post game, yet never seems excited about it.

Always says the same thing, "well ya, it worked pretty well, but we are doing it out of necessity..."

Mentions Watson's injury and/or foul trouble, along with giving props to Kispert handling the 4.

I would argue Kispet or Ayayi do a better job one on post defense or switches than Petrusev.

We have run thr 3 guard lineup with Pet at the 5 as well, which has worked well, yet not quite as dynamic.

Either way, that lineup is the reason we are #1 right now.

It's the lineup which separated us from BYU, Oregon, et al, especially offensively.

The problem, as I see it, with a 3 guard lineup is depth. We only have 3 guards that Few trusts. It's like the hurry up offense in football. It works great but is not sustainable all game.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    This lineup is the reason we won a ton of these games.

Coach Few is continually asked the 3 guards lineup during various post game, yet never seems excited about it.

Always says the same thing, "well ya, it worked pretty well, but we are doing it out of necessity..."

Mentions Watson's injury and/or foul trouble, along with giving props to Kispert handling the 4.

I would argue Kispet or Ayayi do a better job one on post defense or switches than Petrusev.

We have run thr 3 guard lineup with Pet at the 5 as well, which has worked well, yet not quite as dynamic.

Either way, that lineup is the reason we are #1 right now.

It's the lineup which separated us from BYU, Oregon, et al, especially offensively.
    Few is stubborn when it comes to the primacy of his post game. That’s fine when you have BC, JW3, Shem, Zach, the Bonus. Petro is none of those. And Timme is still too doe eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    The problem, as I see it, with a 3 guard lineup is depth. We only have 3 guards that Few trusts. It's like the hurry up offense in football. It works great but is not sustainable all game.
    Of course not. But for a big piece of the game. And our guards are indefatigable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Regarding the 2nd half ......
    https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...childs-tj-haws

BYU just could not get in any rhythm - nor make many shots the Zags did give them. I attribute that to the Zags clogging things up on D. They made BYU look slow.

Sure hope Filip’s injury heals up well & quickly! He’s been such a dependable force for GU that he’ll be sorely missed if he does miss any games or is slowed down. He’s been getting quicker and quicker this season - even on fast breaks.
    I thought this was a weird line at the end:
    Life doesn’t get any easier for the Cougars this week as they travel to Pacific Thursday and San Francisco Saturday.
    It doesn't get any easier after playing the number 1 team in the nation on their home floor? Really? Maybe he was using a random sentence generator or a Magic Eight Ball for his closing sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I somehow get this feeling that if Childs returns for the game in Provo that it could be the toughest WCC game of the season for GU.

The defense is continuing to not impress. If the goal is just to win the WCC and secure a top 3 seed in the NCAA's and play the first two in Spokane, I think GU is in pretty good shape, but if GU wants to make the final four, they have to stop letting opponents shoot like BYU to shoot 51% from the floor. I understand that BYU's biggest threat is the 3pt. shot, and the Zags held the Cougars to 6/20 from three, but there were WAY TOO MANY easy shots near the basket. GU will lose at the Marriott Center if they allow those amount of open looks.

The Petrusev injury sucks, but the Zags are only playing 1 game next week, and while Pacific is no push over, at least the game is not until Saturday and it is at the Kennel. I know the Zags just annihilated SCU, but the games at the Leavey Center are always tough. GU could really use Petrusev for the SCU road game.
    I wonder about the Provo trip with Childs too. Still think the Zags can take them but I'd bet the game looks very different if Childs plays,and not just becasue he's a great player.

Pope sent only one guy to the BYO o glass all night, basically conceded the boards to the Zags to get numbers back and stop Zag transition. I doubt he plays that way at home or with Childs.

Interestingly, seemed to work for a while as Zags forced transition when it wasn't there but even shooting 50% wasn't enough for Pope's boys

Few is stubborn when it comes to the primacy of his post game. That’s fine when you have BC, JW3, Shem, Zach, the Bonus. Petro is none of those. And Timme is still too doe eyed.
    meh, they essentially abandoned it last year and went to something very different with the personnel of last year's squad. still worked the post at times but no primacy. depends on the players seems to me and Few almost always has the post threat player. Petro needs the ball in the post if he's on the floor for various reasons seems to me

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - all around the team played very well..........except you have to admit byu had a dozen open looks from 3. they just shot bad (6 of 20). could easily have made 12 of 20 on a hot shooting night.
    - even if byu shot great from 3, we had control of this game.

- byu in provo and with childs on the floor will likely be our biggest challenge until we play the 8 or 9 seed in the tourney. but no wait, that will be in Spokane, so make that until the sweet sixteen game.
    Not according to BYU. Hawes said didn’t get any really good looks and our defense rushed them on many shots
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Seljaas is probably a guy I would love if he was wearing my team's jersey, but...
    Yup. I think we’ve seen that look before.

Who rocked it better?
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

To make a deep run this year we would need Petrusev and Watson to time travel from next year back to us now. Petro’s defense just isn’t there and we lack the long dynamic athlete that Watson is on the floor.

Really impressed with the offensive movement - was like a ballet most of that 2nd half - weaving and bobbing. Sweet passing, finding the open guy. Really fun to watch. Also was impressed that without Petrusev, they still managed to extend the lead in a big way - great job. Hope Petrusev can get through this fairly quickly and get back on the floor...

I agree completely. That lineup should be used for a stretch of every game, but there is no way it should be the starting five, nor can it be used for more than a few minutes at a time.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

This team is looking better than the 2017 team. I loved the pace last night. We're not deep, but the talent is scary good. Amazing back court, amazing front court. I'm dreaming about April, and starting to believe, and the team is starting to play like they believe it too. This season is going to be thrilling all the way to the end.

This is an excellent thread to read after waking up and sipping my morning coffee. Such a positive thread. I like that. Thank you to all of you have contributed to some great reading. I'm looking forward to Saturday's match-up with Pacific. It should be another very good challenge for our boys.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I agree completely. That lineup should be used for a stretch of every game, but there is no way it should be the starting five, nor can it be used for more than a few minutes at a time.
    Was used last night for almost 8 minutes straight and successful but agree cannot be sustained still need double post options for breather and effectiveness
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    This team is looking better than the 2017 team. I loved the pace last night. We're not deep, but the talent is scary good. Amazing back court, amazing front court. I'm dreaming about April, and starting to believe, and the team is starting to play like they believe it too. This season is going to be thrilling all the way to the end.
    I share the optimism yet watch ball screen coverage in 2017 games then this year.

Watch the # of wide open 3's this year...teams in March WON'T miss those

Watch the pick n roll defense in 2017 then this year too.

Hey, in terms of balance, attack from perimeter, versatile play, breaking presses, and buying into team basketball, or halftime adjustments, this year's team is every bit as good.

Then there is the defense. While improved, mainly due to consistent effort, we are getting burnt on switches and pick n rolls and open 3's badly.

Opponents top guards have had their way finding open looks on perimeter or pick n rolls -- this is primarily due to Petrusev and Timme, yet all have been guilty.

We altered a lot of shots, yet watching last night's game, the Kennel Club was a star on defense, as BYU missed wide open looks time and time again.

We can make a run, we have the offensive balance to boat race teams, yet a team like St marys or even BYU featuring better athletes or a legit 2nd big, we are in trouble defensively.

Teams like Pepperdine picked on our pick n roll/ball screen coverage and isolated it, while doubling the bigs.

A good team will pick a part this deficiency, yet good news is, most teams cant stop our offensive tsunami of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Yup. I think we’ve seen that look before.

Who rocked it better?

I don't know. Seljaas gave off a lot more of a Dirk Diggler vibe to me. That stache was straight out of the 70s....