Thread: Good Company

Default Good Company

I've been playing around with the Sports Reference college basketball season finder. What a great tool. (Though if you start playing with it at work like I did, beware: it's a huge time sucker!)

Anyway, here are a couple of nuggets among the interesting things I turned up.

First, Filip Petrusev is currently averaging 16.7 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. Assuming he keeps that up, he will join J.P. Batista, Domantas Sabonis, and Brandon Clarke as the only Zags since the '92-'93 season to hit those levels.

Second, Drew Timme is averaging 9.5 points and 5.8 rebounds. Here's the list of Zags freshmen that have put up those numbers for a full season since '92: Elias Harris, Zach Collins, and Domantas Sabonis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
    I've been playing around with the Sports Reference college basketball season finder. What a great tool. (Though if you start playing with it at work like I did, beware: it's a huge time sucker!)

Anyway, here are a couple of nuggets among the interesting things I turned up.

First, Filip Petrusev is currently averaging 16.7 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. Assuming he keeps that up, he will join J.P. Batista, Domantas Sabonis, and Brandon Clarke as the only Zags since the '92-'93 season to hit those levels.

Second, Drew Timme is averaging 9.5 points and 5.8 rebounds. Here's the list of Zags freshmen that have put up those numbers for a full season since '92: Elias Harris, Zach Collins, and Domantas Sabonis.
    Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Timme's minutes are going to go up. Hoping he can settle down his foul rate a bit, as he's currently our leader with 5.5 fouls per 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Timme's minutes are going to go up. Hoping he can settle down his foul rate a bit, as he's currently our leader with 5.5 fouls per 40 minutes.
    How does that compare to Zach Collins? Just curious.

Perfect, this team needs to toughen up a bit. Collins left his mark inside " mainly on the opponents "and it helped with having a great defense. Timme is learning. His effort makes me believe he's going in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If Timmie stays above 70% from the FT line that alone will increase his late game minutes.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    How does that compare to Zach Collins? Just curious.
    ZC was abnormally high, at 6.2.

Damn..... That is high. Thanks for looking it up.

Wow, that's extraordinarily high!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

that's crazy...that's basically saying he would likely foul out of every game he played 30+ minutes. does that number include the national championship game...his rate was probably over 10 in that one.

timme's been solid...i think the fact that his game isn't always aesthetically pleasing hurts his perception...plus throw in some unrealistic expectations coming in.

I just want to say that I love this thread. Statistics tell you soooo much. Statistics == FACTS.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    I just want to say that I love this thread. Statistics tell you soooo much. Statistics == FACTS.
    Maybe you can tell me the differences between facts and Alternative Facts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Maybe you can tell me the differences between facts and Alternative Facts...
    Since you asked, Pseudoscience == Alternative Facts. Happy to have a Jesuit education. Logic 101 in the AD was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldoginseattle View Post
    If that’s really where you’re going with it, real news like Reuter’s vs. any opinion based “news” like Fox News, MSNBC or CNN, since they’re two sides of the same coin and all just bad.
    And lets kill the politics right there.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Drew Timme has shown glimpses of something last couple games.

Cant quite put my finger on it.

Maybe it's intangible. it's subtle, yet something I can 'sense' when watching him recently compared to before.

Always been a hustle guy, yet more cognizant, better timing as of late. Also, an intrinsic confidence which is palpable

Still needs added strength, his hands are weak, yet that's purely physical, something mental is occurring, clicking...

Just a feeling, yet he's showing another level. Growth. And also leadership, been much more vocal even with the veterans.

Been a sight to see last week and a half

Tillie was actually at 6.9 fouls per 40 minutes last year, but he was only playing 17 minutes/game. Now he's up to 24 minutes a game, and his foul rate per 40 is down to 3.9.

As White Lightning noted, Drew's toughness is appreciated and it's a good thing that he's our foul leader. His rate is just a tad high if his minutes are going up (currently 20 mpg).

Zach Collins foul rate per 40 in the NC game was 14.3!

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Yeah, I think itís always good to check our perceptions with what the numbers say. This kind of thing usually helps me appreciate the current guys more. Itís easy to put past players and teams on a pedestal (and rightly so given what theyíve achieved), but itís good to look at the numbers to remind myself of what the past guys actually did. Based on just watching the games, I donít know if any of us would have said that Filip is having one of the best seasons for a Gonzaga big, or that Drew is having one of the best freshman seasons, but thatís what the numbers say.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Drew Timme has shown glimpses of something last couple games.

Cant quite put my finger on it.

Maybe it's intangible. it's subtle, yet something I can 'sense' when watching him recently compared to before.
    I know what you mean. We must remember that Timme was a highly rated high school player coming into Gonzaga. He did have a slow start, and most of us thought he had been overrated. But he's been improving for sure. Most likely because most players who come to Gonzaga get BETTER because of the brilliance of our coaching staff. So Timme is getting better, and is now looking like the Timme we thought Few had recruited. Hope this analysis helps you.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Indeed, I was surprised when I compared him to Sabonis' freshman season, which was one of the best ever here for a freshman PF. Sabonis is on top:

Sabonis: 6'10" 231lb

Timme: 6'10" 235lb

Obviously it's completely unfair to compare him to one of the best players to EVER come out of Gonzaga, but he's doing really well.

More comps:

If Sabonis is really only 6'10" ( and probably with less than average max vertical) he sure plays big for this size and really gets off the floor quickly. Watching him take on elite 7' NBA bigs this year (Embiid) has been revelatory.

I think Drew's greatest area of potential improvement in his career will be in developing a mid range or outside shot (and of course free throws).

I would like to see Drew not simply work on his quick-twitch muscles as Travis Knight prefers, yet rather bulk up, become a beast with quick feet.

He's not going to be a kid like Clarke, Rui, even Tillie jumping over people or dribble driving PF.

He has good handles, yet I'd like to see Drew pack on serious muscle/strength, 6'10", 250lb, bearded big dude from Texas beasting and bbq'ing bigs down low.

Sadly, our program isnt like others in the weight room.

Guys don't add muscle or get ripped, outside lean muscle which is great for many players/styles, and works well for bball, proven effective, yet true isnt you're everyday player or big we have had.

Has a nice frame to muscle up, already good weight, now maximize it.

Abuse guys in the paint.

They will keep him same weight, or even slim him up, and try to work on his quickness. Not the best method for him or his game imo

A mini Karno would be possible for him

More good company...
    Had some extra time at work today and was looking at KenPom rankings over the last 3 years (17-19). GU and UNC are the only teams to finish ranked in the top 10 all 3 years (UNC's streak is coming to an end). Also GU has the highest average final ranking over the last 3 years at 4.3, followed by UVA, UNC, Duke, and Kentucky. According to KenPom GU is the best team over the last 3 years.

Spots Reference has a pretty cool story if anyone is interested: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/s...reference.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk