• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagger
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Zag365 View Post
    I'm assuming the KC is primed both because the opponent Sat. is BYU and because they know PB is in the house (if nothing else, there are many students from Seattle and some from O'Dea, PB's visit will be highly anticipated).

Watching the SCU game last night, I saw a lot of empty seats. This was apparent on the camera shots from behind the KC. I didn't notice the empty seats until the second half. Was this result of students leaving because it was a blowout or were there a lot of empty seats even in first half?
    I didn’t notice many empty seats .... at least not from our view. With 5 mins to go and way ahead a few folks decided to bolt. It was an 8 PM game and the streets were pretty icy. We didn’t blame anyone for an early departure.

Comment

• AirborneJag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Nov 2009

A fair number of students left shortly after the start of the second half. By the 10 minute mark, I would guess maybe 70% of the students had left. The remainder were chanting for Tacos wanting at least 2-3 more 3’s.

Weather may have been a factor but in my view an excuse. It was full at the beginning of the game. There was a pretty good exodus at the 6 minute mark and by 3 minutes only the hardcore remained. It is somewhat irritating that so many leave so early. Some of the best basketball is played in the last 6 minutes or so and you also get to hear who is the player of the game. Most of all it’s about showing respect to the players, coaches and staff for their effort, regardless of how the game turns out.

Spokane in general complains that Gonzaga built the Mac too small and they don’t get to see the Zags, but reality is when they get a chance, they arrive late and leave early. The 4 seats next to me are promo seats and have been so since the Mac opened. True to form, those people arrive late (after tip-off) and leave early - always. Last night it was 3 bankers and their outside attorney. I often wonder where in the hell do people in Spokane need to get to that causes them to engage in that behavior. My wife and I used to drive up from the TriCities for games and would often drive back afterwards. I don’t remember us ever leaving early or arriving late. Now we live on CDA Lake and it’s 58 miles one way and we are always on time and stay to the end. Most of the season ticket holders around us do the same.

I know - old school thinking.

Comment

• Section 116
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Love that last paragraph Airborne. Could not agree more. I have friends who get furious because many season ticket holders are in a hurry to get into the Herak Club for halftime, so they leave their seats 5 minutes before halftime and come back five minutes after the second half starts so everybody has to stand so the "privileged" can return to their seats, and then they leave early. And the corporate seats, well those are a whole "nother" story. Schmooze, wine and dine. Half those folks don't give a damm about GU basketball!

Comment

• hondo
          Zag for Life
          • May 2009

Well said Section and so true.

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

We WANT this guy!! He's the real deal. 6' 9" 230lbs and can shoot out to beyond the 3 point line. He's from O'Dea HS. Dan Dickau believes he may be the best Washington basketball player ever. Wow!!!

Ok K2. Let's show him why he wants to come to Gonzaga.

Go Zags!!!
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• zagmeister
              Bulldog Fan
              • May 2019

Originally posted by AirborneJag View Post
              A fair number of students left shortly after the start of the second half. By the 10 minute mark, I would guess maybe 70% of the students had left. The remainder were chanting for Tacos wanting at least 2-3 more 3’s.

Weather may have been a factor but in my view an excuse. It was full at the beginning of the game. There was a pretty good exodus at the 6 minute mark and by 3 minutes only the hardcore remained. It is somewhat irritating that so many leave so early. Some of the best basketball is played in the last 6 minutes or so and you also get to hear who is the player of the game. Most of all it’s about showing respect to the players, coaches and staff for their effort, regardless of how the game turns out.

I know - old school thinking.
              Being in attendance, I witnessed the full MAC for the Santa Clara game, and the packed student section was AWESOME in this first home game back after Winter break.

But today's students have a huge demand for their time, including tons of school and other work. This was a week-night game, with school the next day.

Students at Gonzaga are encouraged to embrace a world view; to make a difference in their lives in supporting others everywhere.

Sports are awesome, but IMHO are often over-emphasized, sensationalized by the press, and fans are frequently overly critical of players' performances.

I suggest we all give the students well-deserved appreciation for their positive involvement.

Please consider how weird and inappropriate it is for the students to taunt the visiting team with "air ball" "air ball" when the Zags are ahead by 30, 40 and wow 50 points!

The Gonzaga students are not taught to degrade others, especially when the others are less fortunate. So, in the second half of a game that's a foregone conclusion, it's super tough for the students to maintain their energy and focus to the end, given the above and many more meaningful considerations.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                • Mar 2008

Yes we do
                Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                We WANT this guy!! He's the real deal. 6' 9" 230lbs and can shoot out to beyond the 3 point line. He's from O'Dea HS. Dan Dickau believes he may be the best Washington basketball player ever. Wow!!!

Ok K2. Let's show him why he wants to come to Gonzaga.

Go Zags!!!
                The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2009

So, did the students do anything? Did anyone see him at the game? Did he seem interested? Engaged?

Comment

• Mantua
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
                    Love that last paragraph Airborne. Could not agree more. I have friends who get furious because many season ticket holders are in a hurry to get into the Herak Club for halftime, so they leave their seats 5 minutes before halftime and come back five minutes after the second half starts so everybody has to stand so the "privileged" can return to their seats, and then they leave early. And the corporate seats, well those are a whole "nother" story. Schmooze, wine and dine. Half those folks don't give a damm about GU basketball!
                    Many of those folks are older, slower and need to use the restrooms.
                    Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• Bogozags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2008

There is nothing against NCAA rules prohibiting him from eating tacos...give him all the tacos he wants and he’ll come ��

Comment

• Zagdawg
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Students got a "We Want Paolo" chant going a couple of times--- he looked engaged-- and his mom was shooting a lot of video of the students section during the warmups.

Comment

• JohnOGU
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by zagmeister View Post
                          Being in attendance, I witnessed the full MAC for the Santa Clara game, and the packed student section was AWESOME in this first home game back after Winter break.

But today's students have a huge demand for their time, including tons of school and other work. This was a week-night game, with school the next day.

Students at Gonzaga are encouraged to embrace a world view; to make a difference in their lives in supporting others everywhere.

Sports are awesome, but IMHO are often over-emphasized, sensationalized by the press, and fans are frequently overly critical of players' performances.

I suggest we all give the students well-deserved appreciation for their positive involvement.

Please consider how weird and inappropriate it is for the students to taunt the visiting team with "air ball" "air ball" when the Zags are ahead by 30, 40 and wow 50 points!

The Gonzaga students are not taught to degrade others, especially when the others are less fortunate. So, in the second half of a game that's a foregone conclusion, it's super tough for the students to maintain their energy and focus to the end, given the above and many more meaningful considerations.
                          Not to derail this, but...
                          No offense, but let’s stop making excuses for these students and acknowledge the fact that our success sometimes gets taken for granted. As a 2009 graduate I can say that time demands are not much different than when I was there. It’s not about taunting another team when you’re up by 30, it’s about supporting your squad from buzzer to buzzer, as we’ve done, without waiver, for the last 20+ years.

Comment

• JAGzag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Congrats. This sums up everything that is wrong with today’s KC and the student representation. Students don’t have enough time? Sports are overly emphasized? Taunting an air ball is not okay?! Here’s an idea, give your ticket to someone who actually gives a crap.

Comment

• zagssuperfan
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Jun 2013

Barf. Is this for real? Do you really think life is so much harder for kids now than it was for the rest of us that sat in those same seats years ago? Give me a break.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by zagssuperfan View Post
                                Barf. Is this for real? Do you really think life is so much harder for kids now than it was for the rest of us that sat in those same seats years ago? Give me a break.
                                The difference in demand on time is we didnt have to spend hours a day on our phones facebooking, twittering, instagramming and what not. We had some extra time to socialize with actual people at sporting events.

Comment

Working...
                                X