Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44

Thread: Kennel Club & Banchero

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,341

    Default

    Students got a "We Want Paolo" chant going a couple of times--- he looked engaged-- and his mom was shooting a lot of video of the students section during the warmups.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagmeister View Post
    Being in attendance, I witnessed the full MAC for the Santa Clara game, and the packed student section was AWESOME in this first home game back after Winter break.

    But today's students have a huge demand for their time, including tons of school and other work. This was a week-night game, with school the next day.

    Students at Gonzaga are encouraged to embrace a world view; to make a difference in their lives in supporting others everywhere.

    Sports are awesome, but IMHO are often over-emphasized, sensationalized by the press, and fans are frequently overly critical of players' performances.

    I suggest we all give the students well-deserved appreciation for their positive involvement.

    Please consider how weird and inappropriate it is for the students to taunt the visiting team with "air ball" "air ball" when the Zags are ahead by 30, 40 and wow 50 points!

    The Gonzaga students are not taught to degrade others, especially when the others are less fortunate. So, in the second half of a game that's a foregone conclusion, it's super tough for the students to maintain their energy and focus to the end, given the above and many more meaningful considerations.
    Not to derail this, but...
    No offense, but let’s stop making excuses for these students and acknowledge the fact that our success sometimes gets taken for granted. As a 2009 graduate I can say that time demands are not much different than when I was there. It’s not about taunting another team when you’re up by 30, it’s about supporting your squad from buzzer to buzzer, as we’ve done, without waiver, for the last 20+ years.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagmeister View Post
    Being in attendance, I witnessed the full MAC for the Santa Clara game, and the packed student section was AWESOME in this first home game back after Winter break.

    But today's students have a huge demand for their time, including tons of school and other work. This was a week-night game, with school the next day.

    Students at Gonzaga are encouraged to embrace a world view; to make a difference in their lives in supporting others everywhere.

    Sports are awesome, but IMHO are often over-emphasized, sensationalized by the press, and fans are frequently overly critical of players' performances.

    I suggest we all give the students well-deserved appreciation for their positive involvement.

    Please consider how weird and inappropriate it is for the students to taunt the visiting team with "air ball" "air ball" when the Zags are ahead by 30, 40 and wow 50 points!

    The Gonzaga students are not taught to degrade others, especially when the others are less fortunate. So, in the second half of a game that's a foregone conclusion, it's super tough for the students to maintain their energy and focus to the end, given the above and many more meaningful considerations.
    Congrats. This sums up everything that is wrong with today’s KC and the student representation. Students don’t have enough time? Sports are overly emphasized? Taunting an air ball is not okay?! Here’s an idea, give your ticket to someone who actually gives a crap.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagmeister View Post
    Being in attendance, I witnessed the full MAC for the Santa Clara game, and the packed student section was AWESOME in this first home game back after Winter break.

    But today's students have a huge demand for their time, including tons of school and other work. This was a week-night game, with school the next day.

    Students at Gonzaga are encouraged to embrace a world view; to make a difference in their lives in supporting others everywhere.

    Sports are awesome, but IMHO are often over-emphasized, sensationalized by the press, and fans are frequently overly critical of players' performances.

    I suggest we all give the students well-deserved appreciation for their positive involvement.

    Please consider how weird and inappropriate it is for the students to taunt the visiting team with "air ball" "air ball" when the Zags are ahead by 30, 40 and wow 50 points!

    The Gonzaga students are not taught to degrade others, especially when the others are less fortunate. So, in the second half of a game that's a foregone conclusion, it's super tough for the students to maintain their energy and focus to the end, given the above and many more meaningful considerations.
    Barf. Is this for real? Do you really think life is so much harder for kids now than it was for the rest of us that sat in those same seats years ago? Give me a break.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    Barf. Is this for real? Do you really think life is so much harder for kids now than it was for the rest of us that sat in those same seats years ago? Give me a break.
    The difference in demand on time is we didnt have to spend hours a day on our phones facebooking, twittering, instagramming and what not. We had some extra time to socialize with actual people at sporting events.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    The difference in demand on time is we didnt have to spend hours a day on our phones facebooking, twittering, instagramming and what not. We had some extra time to socialize with actual people at sporting events.
    Demands on time? LOL, I had to take 21 hours a semester 3 out of my last 4 semesters, thanks to changing my major my sophomore year. I also had on average 20 hours a week in ROTC commitments as well.

    I wish I had access to today's technology in completing my senior thesis. I could have completed it in 3 weeks, as opposed to the 3-4 months it actually took. I spent hours in the basement of the Crosby Library, searching through the stacks and microfiche. My "word processor" was a typewriter, with two fonts.

    Not complaining, though, because my 4 years at GU were among the best of my life. It prepared me well for my first job out of college, 4 years in Germany in the Army.

    I wasn't the best student at GU, I enjoyed the "Gonzaga Experience" a bit too much.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Demands on time? LOL, I had to take 21 hours a semester 3 out of my last 4 semesters, thanks to changing my major my sophomore year. I also had on average 20 hours a week in ROTC commitments as well.

    I wish I had access to today's technology in completing my senior thesis. I could have completed it in 3 weeks, as opposed to the 3-4 months it actually took. I spent hours in the basement of the Crosby Library, searching through the stacks and microfiche. My "word processor" was a typewriter, with two fonts.

    Not complaining, though, because my 4 years at GU were among the best of my life. It prepared me well for my first job out of college, 4 years in Germany in the Army.

    I wasn't the best student at GU, I enjoyed the "Gonzaga Experience" a bit too much.
    Ditto on the ROTC. Plus working multiple jobs to pay my bills, AND because it was impossible for me to get into the classes I needed the first two years(ROTC scheduling only made it harder with the limited number of classes offered) I almost had to transfer to whitworth because I didn't think I would be able to graduate on time. So I had to back load all of my classes Junior and senior year and had to quit working towards the end of school to keep up with everything. But yeah, it's soooo much harder now.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,450

    Default

    One thing I will note is that Gonzaga has improved academically on a pretty significant level over the past 20-30 years. Not so much as an excuse, but there is at least a little bit to the whole students being busy thing.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    One thing I will note is that Gonzaga has improved academically on a pretty significant level over the past 20-30 years. Not so much as an excuse, but there is at least a little bit to the whole students being busy thing.
    As much as we all love Gonzaga and agree the academics have improved, let's not all act like its academic rigors are on par with a Stanford or a Udub for that matter.

    And as far as the excuse that kids are needing to work jobs now because schooling is more expensive, let's also remember 50% of the student body are out of state kids (paying higher tuition and coming from wealthier family backgrounds) that chose to come here predominantly because of the basketball program. It goes without saying an out of state kid who didn't grow up supporting the Zags is more likely to leave a game early or not show up for a Portland matchup.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    132

    Default

    GU is a private school, unlike state schools which differentiate between out of state student and in state. GU students pay the same no matter what state they come from.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    GU is a private school, unlike state schools which differentiate between out of state student and in state. GU students pay the same no matter what state they come from.
    You're totally right that's an oversight on my part. $50k/year sure is a pretty penny.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    Ditto on the ROTC. Plus working multiple jobs to pay my bills, AND because it was impossible for me to get into the classes I needed the first two years(ROTC scheduling only made it harder with the limited number of classes offered) I almost had to transfer to whitworth because I didn't think I would be able to graduate on time. So I had to back load all of my classes Junior and senior year and had to quit working towards the end of school to keep up with everything. But yeah, it's soooo much harder now.
    Nothing to do with the topic, but I was a student athlete on an ROTC scholarship at Gonzaga who had to work an off campus job to make ends meet. To this day I’m not sure how I pulled off actually graduating other than it did take some begging on my part to a certain professor who was going to flunk me ��

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TriCities, WA and CDA, ID
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I was also on an ROTC scholarship and had those commitments. I also held down a part time job and was married as well. While I do think some of the academic standards have increased rigor at Gonzaga, it would be nothing more than speculation that its “harder” today than it was in the day. Granted, there is a lot more information to learn in a number of disciplines such as engineering and science, but the students come in better prepared. As for the social sciences, I think there has been a general decline in critical thinking skills. Not sure students are challenged as much as perhaps they once were, what with trigger warning, “safe places”, etc.

    Oh and by the way, the University of Washington is not academically superior to Gonzaga. That is simply a myth. While some of the entry metrics may be higher, e.g. SAT scores and GPA’s, doesn’t mean the school is better at turning out students with quality educations. And if Gonzaga is academically inferior, why the partnerships with the U of W for medical school and other rigorous academic endeavors.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    Not sure students are challenged as much as perhaps they once were, what with trigger warning, “safe places”, etc.
    .
    Please do go on . . .

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    Oh and by the way, the University of Washington is not academically superior to Gonzaga. That is simply a myth. While some of the entry metrics may be higher, e.g. SAT scores and GPA’s, doesn’t mean the school is better at turning out students with quality educations. And if Gonzaga is academically inferior, why the partnerships with the U of W for medical school and other rigorous academic endeavors.
    Can you provide any evidence that is true? University of Washington is a globally ranked research institution with the #2 medical school in the country, you're saying Gonzaga is on par with that?

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    327

    Default Kennel Club & Banchero

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagSwag View Post
    Can you provide any evidence that is true? University of Washington is a globally ranked research institution with the #2 medical school in the country, you're saying Gonzaga is on par with that?
    There’s a lot more that goes into those rankings than rigor in the classroom. Mostly they’re about dollars spent per student. I’d bet the average GU student has a more rigorous classroom experience than an average UW student. For one thing, GU undergrads will get much more personal attention (and therefore accountability) than with the UW warehouse-classroom approach. Speaking as a current college professor.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,738

    Default

    Banchero?

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Banchero?
    Kinda' rings a bell?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Banchero?
    I felt guilty for a second because it drives me crazy when people derail a thread about a recruit and I thought I was apart of that. But this is not the Banchero thread, there is a whole other thread about him specifically. This is a discussion about the showing/lack of showing of the kennel club during his visit, not Banchero specifically.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •