• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

10 Observations (TSSF)

LINK: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...er-santa-clara

Even while stitching together a near perfect first half with a monster lead, Mark Few stuck with a 7-man rotation which is likely what we’ll see from here on out now that Watson’s season is over. Short rotations make me a little uncomfortable, but I’m also not surprised that Few isn’t keen on shaking things up at this point in the year. Expect to simply see an uptick in minutes for Timme and Kispert, the latter of whom already leads the team in minutes per game, and more small ball with Ayayi, Woolridge, and Gilder all on the floor together.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Kiddwell
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Arlauskas

Interesting to hear the announcers say that Arlauskas (6-7) was originally to start. That may've been a miscommunication, but he did come in reasonably early in the second half. Methinks he's the replacement player for Watson (6-8). We're probably going to see more and more of him. Good, as we'll need him to be comfortable when the season wears down to the conference tourney, then the Bigg'n.

:]
      Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• webspinnre
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
        Interesting to hear the announcers say that Arlauskas (6-7) was originally to start. That may've been a miscommunication, but he did come in reasonably early in the second half. Methinks he's the replacement player for Watson (6-8). We're probably going to see more and more of him. Good, as we'll need him to be comfortable when the season wears down to the conference tourney, then the Bigg'n.

:]
        And while losing Watson isn't a good thing, I feel like getting Arlauskas some decent minutes will be really beneficial for his development.
        I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Wooohoooo.... that game moved the Zags to #44 in defensive efficiency.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by CPkZagFan View Post
            Keep it up Zags! Granted Santa Clara has not played the most challenging schedule but they beat a Washington State team
            that just beat Oregon and a Cal team that recently beat Washington. I think the excellent defense the Zags played has
            an intimidating effect on the other team's shooters so that they even lose confidence when getting open looks.

As I mentioned in the GUnit thread (see below), Gilder is a huge key for a deep run in March. If he keeps playing on this
            level, the Zags are almost unstoppable. Check out the great article about Gilder today in The Athletic (it includes last night's
            game). https://theathletic.com/1541302/2020...k-for-gonzaga/

Gilder was the man tonight. Not that others that have been mentioned did well, but we are now seeing what
            a healthy Admon Gilder can bring. Eighteen very efficient points, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 assists, no TO's and perfect
            from the line. He has the quickness and strength to get to the rim and score against any team. Santa Clara did have
            some size and muscle down low and he still did a great job of penetrating.

With Watson down, I think Gilder will be the key for a deep run in March. His defense was fantastic last night and he
            is stroking those 3's now. I know that there are other Zags that can create on the dribble and get to the rim, but
            Gilder gave us a glimpse of how good he can be doing that. Not only does he have good height at the guard spot but
            he has some serious muscle. This guy is built.
            Very nice post. I enjoyed reading it, and thanks for the link to the article in the Athletic. You appear to be new here to GUBoards, and it's nice to see someone knew with keen insights to the game. Keep it up.

Go Zags!!!
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Markburn1
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2015

Took the grandkids to see the Harlem Globetrotters last night. That game was more in doubt than the Zags game. Spoiler Alert!!! Globetrotters won on last second dunk!!! Who woulda guessed???

Got home at halftime looking forward to at least a little resistance. 58-22. Then found out Watson was done for the year.

Hoping BYU game is more competitive. It's fun to see the Zags play well, but a little more drama would be nice.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I love the picture in the post. Drew demonstrates his skill at clearing space for his teammate driving to the hoop. I don't think I've seen that from other Zag bigs so far this year, though I could be wrong.

Comment

• IowaSERE
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                  I love the picture in the post. Drew demonstrates his skill at clearing space for his teammate driving to the hoop. I don't think I've seen that from other Zag bigs so far this year, though I could be wrong.
                  Seems like Drew does it quite a bit and I also seem to remember him getting called for a few fouls trying to clear out the lane for his teamates as they drove to the hole.

Comment

• Zag365
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2007

What I love about this team is that they are consistent and not prone to playing down to competition (okay, first half against UP and Pepp weren't great but chalk it up to coasting a bit after great OOC performances) . Nice to see defense and FTs improving. Was disappointed and embarrassed for SCU and WCC. SCU is better than what they showed. Lost confidence after the first few minutes of play, missed a lot of open shots and made bad decisions (shooting too quickly, committing TOs, etc.).

Comment

• sittingon50
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
                      The Broncos fans are sure bitter about this game on their forum. Well more like one of their fans, but they have like 5 different fans in total on that forum so I guess 20% of them think that way

1st place I went when I got home last night. That knucklehead that dominates their forum has been banned under several different names. He adds nothing. I particularly enjoy his accusation that Gonzaga cheats & has been doing it for quite some time. Guess I would have to go searching thru some other threads for the evidence.
                      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• sonuvazag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                        1st place I went when I got home last night. That knucklehead that dominates their forum has been banned under several different names. He adds nothing. I particularly enjoy his accusation that Gonzaga cheats & has been doing it for quite some time. Guess I would have to go searching thru some other threads for the evidence.
                        My understanding is he is not even an authentic SCU person but a Sendek acolyte who has followed the coach on message boards at the several programs at which he has coached.
                        Agent provocateur

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I liked his suggestion that the WCC should kick the Zags out for being so good. lol

SCU took a direct shot at Coach Few in their "Game On" ad campaign. There's a lesson to be learned there.

Comment

• sittingon50
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post

SCU took a direct shot at Coach Few in their "Game On" ad campaign. There's a lesson to be learned there.

Judy, if you're reading this, Coach Few told me before the game that he really wanted to run the score up against you!!

(you read it here on the internet)
                            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagOD7540
                              Kennel Club
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                              Took the grandkids to see the Harlem Globetrotters last night. That game was more in doubt than the Zags game. Spoiler Alert!!! Globetrotters won on last second dunk!!! Who woulda guessed???

Got home at halftime looking forward to at least a little resistance. 58-22. Then found out Watson was done for the year.

Hoping BYU game is more competitive. It's fun to see the Zags play well, but a little more drama would be nice.
                              I would prefer an absolute a** kicking and no drama at all, especially against the LDS

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Judy, if you're reading this, Coach Few told me before the game that he really wanted to run the score up against you!!

(you read it here on the internet)
                                I can do better than that!

Remember when I said that my grandson didn't quite remember what he and Corey discussed after the A&M game? Not true...Corey told Big D that "we're going to BURY Santa Clara!"

Then Admon told Dillon, "we're going beat Santa Clara by more than we won tonight!

Killian chimed in, "Dillon, you know all about the immortal words, "Remember the Alamo." Up in Spokane, there's another phrase burned in our soul: 'Remember Game On!'"

Comment

Working...
                                X