Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Santa Clara Post Game thoughts, analysis, and media

Default Gonzaga vs Santa Clara Post Game thoughts, analysis, and media

Gonzaga 104
    Santa Clara 54

Zags led at the half 58 to 22 and coasted to a victory. ANOTHER great first half. The second half was kind of so so, but it was fun watching our bench play. Few played the second string the last 6 minutes and they did pretty good, especially on defense. Our starters were hardly playing D in the second half and the second team came in and shut Santa Clara down those last six minutes. Great job guys.

I was especially impressed with our bench again. Gilder and Timme are playing pretty well right now. Timme got another double double 15 and 11, and Gilder scored 18 points, shot 8-8 from the foul line, had 5 rebounds 3 steals and 3 assists. Very nice game. I think his best so far. Ayayi also played well, especially in the first half. He scored 18 also and had 6 rebounds and 3 steals. Kispert and Petrusev also scored in double figures and Tillie ended with 9.

Foul shooting was simply phenominal 28-32 for 93%. Way to do it Zags!!! We're all really happy about that.
    The defense was really good at times, but kind of too relaxed at times especially in the 2nd half. I was surprised by the pace of the game. Santa Clara chose to run with us, which is a good the Zags scored over 100 points. So that was a difference in this game. We did shoot 40% from behind the 3 point line making 8. I was pretty happy with that. Didn't shoot a lot of them tonight. Most points came in the paint.

A very very good win. I think the Zags played better than many thought they would, but I picked this game pretty well for a change. I'm doing better in my predictions lately, but am having to work harder at it. Thank God it snowed this week; so I could work on that. hahaha

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Zags played some defense tonight and fought for those 2nd chance points.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Really as close to a perfect game as we are likely to see. Now that the guys know they can do it, is it too much to hope for them to have a couple of similar nights deep in the NCAAs?

Go Zags!!! Beat BYU!!!
    Last edited by TravelinZag; 01-16-2020 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Extra punctuation

This victory by this much (50 points) is really pretty incredible when you think about it. Santa Clara just beat St Mary's last Saturday I think, at St Mary's. However, the Zags were ready and some of us thought they would be. Few and the coaches have these guys playing quite well now. I feel that they want to hold on to that #1 ranking. They are playing like it anyway.

I was looking at the prediction thread, and it shows clearly how we really respected Santa Clara and believed that it would be a pretty tough game. Eight posters predicted that the Zags would win by only 10 or less. One fan felt like the Zags would only win by 5 points. I can understand their thinking as they had just beaten St Mary's. There were 11 posters who predicted the Zags would win between 11-20 points. Most people voting voted in this range. There were only six voters who thought the Zags would win between 21 points and 30 points. AND FINALLY ONLY THREE who felt the Zags would win between 31-36 (32,34 and 36).

I think the Zags were really excited to play back in the Kennel before their awesome fans. They surely played that way the first half. It was soooo beautiful. 58-22. Thats a margin of 36 points in a half. Mind blowing. Way to go guys, and keep it up. One game at a time. We have a very good challenge coming up in two days.

Go Zags!!!

The Zags rise two spots to #6 in the Kenpom rating. They are now down to 44th on defense; so we're going in the right direction. Keep it up boys!

Go Zags!!!

DUDE LOOK AT THE FREE THROW PERCENTAGE.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

zags played well, but i also think santa clara simply missed a lot of shots they normally make...it's not like they were jacking up contested 3s all game, many were wide open and they still clanked'em (when you shoot 3-25 it's not only because of the defense)... just one of those games, like the zags making 28-32 from the line...i'm gonna guess santa clara hasn't had a game this year where they shot under 50% from the line either (9-19).

anyways, santa clara doesn't really match up well against the zags either as they play somewhat similarly but are less talented...i give them props for still playing their game instead of trying to muck it up and walk the ball up the court every possession just to try and stay close.

http://https://www.spokesman.com/doc...anta-clara-ad/

Link is to infamous ad Santa Clara put in the Spokesman November 13, 2018.

Announcer commented Zags have beaten Broncos by a combined margin of 150 points in last 3 games.

I think these are related
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

That seemed like one more game where the opposition couldn't hit a wide open shot. Maybe it's something that I'm missing but I cant remember a season where the teams we are playing shoot so bad from behind the arc. Not that it would have mattered that much when you win by 50! That game was just a total crushing in every way!! Might have needed every point to stay #1.

The Broncos fans are sure bitter about this game on their forum. Well more like one of their fans, but they have like 5 different fans in total on that forum so I guess 20% of them think that way
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Great performance but tempered by loss of Watty. A rare player who is a difference maker without touching the ball. Inevitable and wise action, of course, but it does impact postseason chances.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Great performance but tempered by loss of Watty. A rare player who is a difference maker without touching the ball. Inevitable and wise action, of course, but it does impact postseason chances.
    Speaking of Watson, it was a bummer seeing Anton in sweats and not in the shootaround before the game. We did get a chuckle though that he participated a wee bit in the shooting before the 2nd half. As he walked away from the key to join the team huddle, back to the basket, he tossed the ball back and sunk a basket - never looking back. Watson appeared in good enough spirits and hung out with Ballo. Seeing the two together made it sink in more at how good the team is even when missing those two and Revet who all would more than likely be contributing factors to this group’s success. Nevertheless, 104-54 is quite a performance. Surprised there isn’t much in the media regarding this game .... yet anyway (maybe the late evening game).

There is this
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...SNCLRA@GONZAG/
    And of course the S-R
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-content%3Damp
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Default Jim Meehan's Game Story

LINK: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-shuts-down-s/

“When we play together and when we play great defense, which helps a lot, I think we’re pretty unstoppable offensively,” said Ayayi, who had 19 points, six rebounds and three steals. “We moved the ball really well, it didn’t get stuck. We kept moving the ball and a lot of good things happen when we play like that.”

“We jumped out and played with great tenacity for almost a full 40 minutes,” Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. “We played with a lot of spirit, we were physical and protected the rim probably as good as we’ve protected the rim all year.

“We’ve had games where we’ve shot it well, and we were maybe even missing that piece as far as our intensity, challenging shots, hustling and covering for each other. We were as good as we’ve been all year with that.”

Default Vince Grippi TV Take Feature

LINK: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...e-in-thumping/

The Zags’ first-half offense was as efficient as it could be, as the 58 points showed. But it was matched by their defense, which forced nine Bronco turnovers and held Santa Clara to 25% shooting.

Both aspects of their game stalled a bit in the first part of the second half, but after a lull that allowed the Broncos to cut the lead to 28. That seemed like a win for Santa Clara.

• Rothman and Williams made a lot of comments concerning Gonzaga’s offensive balance. Rightfully so. Once again, the Zags had five players in double figures, including Admon Gilder pouring in 18 points off the bench. Add Ryan Woolridge running the offense with five assists, four rebounds, three steals and a single turnover and once again the Zags filled up the box score.

Keep it up Zags! Granted Santa Clara has not played the most challenging schedule but they beat a Washington State team
    that just beat Oregon and a Cal team that recently beat Washington. I think the excellent defense the Zags played has
    an intimidating effect on the other team's shooters so that they even lose confidence when getting open looks.

As I mentioned in the GUnit thread (see below), Gilder is a huge key for a deep run in March. If he keeps playing on this
    level, the Zags are almost unstoppable. Check out the great article about Gilder today in The Athletic (it includes last night's
    game). https://theathletic.com/1541302/2020...k-for-gonzaga/

Gilder was the man tonight. Not that others that have been mentioned did well, but we are now seeing what
    a healthy Admon Gilder can bring. Eighteen very efficient points, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 assists, no TO's and perfect
    from the line. He has the quickness and strength to get to the rim and score against any team. Santa Clara did have
    some size and muscle down low and he still did a great job of penetrating.

With Watson down, I think Gilder will be the key for a deep run in March. His defense was fantastic last night and he
    is stroking those 3's now. I know that there are other Zags that can create on the dribble and get to the rim, but
    Gilder gave us a glimpse of how good he can be doing that. Not only does he have good height at the guard spot but
    he has some serious muscle. This guy is built.

Default 10 Observations (TSSF)

LINK: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...er-santa-clara

Even while stitching together a near perfect first half with a monster lead, Mark Few stuck with a 7-man rotation which is likely what we’ll see from here on out now that Watson’s season is over. Short rotations make me a little uncomfortable, but I’m also not surprised that Few isn’t keen on shaking things up at this point in the year. Expect to simply see an uptick in minutes for Timme and Kispert, the latter of whom already leads the team in minutes per game, and more small ball with Ayayi, Woolridge, and Gilder all on the floor together.

Smile Arlauskas

Interesting to hear the announcers say that Arlauskas (6-7) was originally to start. That may've been a miscommunication, but he did come in reasonably early in the second half. Methinks he's the replacement player for Watson (6-8). We're probably going to see more and more of him. Good, as we'll need him to be comfortable when the season wears down to the conference tourney, then the Bigg'n.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Interesting to hear the announcers say that Arlauskas (6-7) was originally to start. That may've been a miscommunication, but he did come in reasonably early in the second half. Methinks he's the replacement player for Watson (6-8). We're probably going to see more and more of him. Good, as we'll need him to be comfortable when the season wears down to the conference tourney, then the Bigg'n.

:]
    And while losing Watson isn't a good thing, I feel like getting Arlauskas some decent minutes will be really beneficial for his development.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Wooohoooo.... that game moved the Zags to #44 in defensive efficiency.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    Keep it up Zags! Granted Santa Clara has not played the most challenging schedule but they beat a Washington State team
    that just beat Oregon and a Cal team that recently beat Washington. I think the excellent defense the Zags played has
    an intimidating effect on the other team's shooters so that they even lose confidence when getting open looks.

As I mentioned in the GUnit thread (see below), Gilder is a huge key for a deep run in March. If he keeps playing on this
    level, the Zags are almost unstoppable. Check out the great article about Gilder today in The Athletic (it includes last night's
    game). https://theathletic.com/1541302/2020...k-for-gonzaga/

Gilder was the man tonight. Not that others that have been mentioned did well, but we are now seeing what
    a healthy Admon Gilder can bring. Eighteen very efficient points, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 assists, no TO's and perfect
    from the line. He has the quickness and strength to get to the rim and score against any team. Santa Clara did have
    some size and muscle down low and he still did a great job of penetrating.

With Watson down, I think Gilder will be the key for a deep run in March. His defense was fantastic last night and he
    is stroking those 3's now. I know that there are other Zags that can create on the dribble and get to the rim, but
    Gilder gave us a glimpse of how good he can be doing that. Not only does he have good height at the guard spot but
    he has some serious muscle. This guy is built.
    Very nice post. I enjoyed reading it, and thanks for the link to the article in the Athletic. You appear to be new here to GUBoards, and it's nice to see someone knew with keen insights to the game. Keep it up.

Go Zags!!!

Took the grandkids to see the Harlem Globetrotters last night. That game was more in doubt than the Zags game. Spoiler Alert!!! Globetrotters won on last second dunk!!! Who woulda guessed???

Got home at halftime looking forward to at least a little resistance. 58-22. Then found out Watson was done for the year.

Hoping BYU game is more competitive. It's fun to see the Zags play well, but a little more drama would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I love the picture in the post. Drew demonstrates his skill at clearing space for his teammate driving to the hoop. I don't think I've seen that from other Zag bigs so far this year, though I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I love the picture in the post. Drew demonstrates his skill at clearing space for his teammate driving to the hoop. I don't think I've seen that from other Zag bigs so far this year, though I could be wrong.
    Seems like Drew does it quite a bit and I also seem to remember him getting called for a few fouls trying to clear out the lane for his teamates as they drove to the hole.

What I love about this team is that they are consistent and not prone to playing down to competition (okay, first half against UP and Pepp weren't great but chalk it up to coasting a bit after great OOC performances) . Nice to see defense and FTs improving. Was disappointed and embarrassed for SCU and WCC. SCU is better than what they showed. Lost confidence after the first few minutes of play, missed a lot of open shots and made bad decisions (shooting too quickly, committing TOs, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    The Broncos fans are sure bitter about this game on their forum. Well more like one of their fans, but they have like 5 different fans in total on that forum so I guess 20% of them think that way

1st place I went when I got home last night. That knucklehead that dominates their forum has been banned under several different names. He adds nothing. I particularly enjoy his accusation that Gonzaga cheats & has been doing it for quite some time. Guess I would have to go searching thru some other threads for the evidence.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.