Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: "Other Games" Archive # 2

"You're not playing St. Aloysius. This is Division 1, major college, Power 5. . .every possession matters and when you get a chance to get someone down, you do."

Did a quick search, and found the following comments from Cal after UK beat Georgia Tech last month:

Q. (Tyrese) Maxey didn't make a shot, yet he had rebounds, he had assists. What do you think about just the way he stayed competitive and in the game despite not making --

Again, he's just learning and, again, I keep telling him, you cannot avoid contact and try to flip balls. You're not playing St. Aloysius anymore. These dudes, when you go like that, they block it. And if you go like that, the official's not going to call a foul. He's not.
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...22#post1496822

Maybe Cal's message isn't getting through.

Wow. A few upsets today ..... Hope the Zags buck that trend!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Or could it be that his gravy train is about to end? He'll still get good recruits, but it won't be like UK fans got used to, with 3-4 NBA first rounders on his starting 5.

From what I hear, UK hoops fans are notoriously entitled and fickle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post
    10 Kentucky (12-4) falls to South Carolina (9-7) 81-78 at the buzzer.

ESPN2 had a minute or less of Coach Cal's post game press conference. He had good things to say of the Gamecocks. He said its a good thing they got that last shot because they deserved to win. As for his team, he said something along the message of they needed to step it up and realize who they're playing. He said, (and this is a quote), "We're not playing St. Aloysius. We're playing Division 1 basketball."

Of the hundreds of names of saints, he chose St. Aloysius. A freudian slip, or an intentional slam? I don't know. I'm just asking the question.

I bet he doesn't know he is referencing Gonzaga.

I think I have seen "St. Aloysius" applied to other schools (besides the Spokane grade school) in other places without a Gonzaga tacked on the end.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    He actually said “we weren’t playing St Aloysius. We were playing a real team, from a real Power 5 conference.”
    Sounds like an intentional thinly veiled reference to Gonzaga for recruiting shot imo. He may well respect Few but Zags are now competing directly w Kentucky for highest end recruits such as Paolo Ranchero so gloves are off.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    "You're not playing St. Aloysius. This is Division 1, major college, Power 5. . .every possession matters and when you get a chance to get someone down, you do."
    Thanks Reno.

My quote (or .... "mis"quote) was from memory. I clearly recalled him using the term "Power 5" .... but obviously embellished the rest (or that's how I remembered it a couple hours later). Thanks for the actual quote.

BTW there are over 10,000 Saints, yet only one Saint Aloysius.

It's Cal's way of getting a little dig in (or as my friend TZF has discovered .... "digs")

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

There are many St Aloysius grade schools. There are also other Gonzaga high schools (Washington DC, mascot the eagles). Calipari as an Italian catholic from Pennsylvania is likely referring to a generic grade school. No slight taken.

Trivia question: Spokane's St Aloysius Grade School was a powerhouse in sports in the 1960's. Their older counterparts. Gonzaga University's mascot is the Bulldog, Gonzaga Prep's mascot is the Bullpup, St Aloysius is ???? This is a no brainer for Abe, Hondo , Angelo and a few others....
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    There are many St Aloysius grade schools. There are also other Gonzaga high schools (Washington DC, mascot the eagles). Calipari as an Italian catholic from Pennsylvania is likely referring to a generic grade school. No slight taken.
    Great point, td .... not sure Cal is subtle enough for that type of "dig" at the Zags .... perhaps I was giving him too much credit

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

The speculation about Calipari here smacks of insecurity and paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    The speculation about Calipari here smacks of insecurity and paranoia.
    Huh?

I thought it was brilliant ... not a slight at all.

You couldn't be more incorrect.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Huh?

I thought it was brilliant ... not a slight at all.

You couldn't be more incorrect.
    What did you think was brilliant?

Are you confident that you read and understand what I wrote, since it expressed similar sentiment your post which immediately preceeded it?

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Trivia question: Spokane's St Aloysius Grade School was a powerhouse in sports in the 1960's. Their older counterparts. Gonzaga University's mascot is the Bulldog, Gonzaga Prep's mascot is the Bullpup, St Aloysius is ???? This is a no brainer for Abe, Hondo , Angelo and a few others....
    If I recall correctly, they are the "Saints"?

Will likely catch the 2nd half of the USD @ BYU game. . .if at all. Not a very intriguing line-up (other than the WCC tilts) today.

#GoZags #BeattheBroncos

Quite a stretch to find any mean spirited intent here. Calipari is more concerned with his players understanding the opposition is a bit more talented than the high school teams the kids used to play as recently as last year. They can't just show up with their athleticism and carry the day against the quality of opponents that D1 schools have. Linking his statement to a putdown of Gonzaga is way too Machiavellian even for Coach Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Quite a stretch to find any mean spirited intent here. Calipari is more concerned with his players understanding the opposition is a bit more talented than the high school teams the kids used to play as recently as last year. They can't just show up with their athleticism and carry the day against the quality of opponents that D1 schools have. Linking his statement to a putdown of Gonzaga is way too Machiavellian even for Coach Cal.
    Agree with this ... Calipari was just saying whatever popped into his head at that split second. Had he said "Sisters of the Poor", might be a bigger deal.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    "Sisters of the Poor"

They're tough!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Agree with this ... Calipari was just saying whatever popped into his head at that split second. Had he said "Sisters of the Poor", might be a bigger deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    They're tough!
    Are they near Orinda?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Cinn 49
    Memphis 60 F

ORE 37
    WSU 34 HALF

USD 34
    BYU 34 3:16, 1H

LMU 32
    PEP 36 HALF

UTAH 43
    AZ 65 11:49, 2H

I'm watching ASU vs Colorado, this is just the appetizer for the main course on ESPN2. I used to live in Tempe, AZ, just two miles from Wells Fargo Arena, and I've seen my share of ASU games and concerts in that arena. I think it has a different corporate name now, but whatever.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Default Other Games - Friday - 1. 17. 2020

Top 25

#13 Dayton @ Saint Louis 4:00pm . ESPN2
    Wisconsin @ #15 Michigan State 4:00pm . FS1
    #19 Michigan @ Iowa 6:00pm . FS1
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-17-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'm watching ASU vs Colorado, this is just the appetizer for the main course on ESPN2. I used to live in Tempe, AZ, just two miles from Wells Fargo Arena, and I've seen my share of ASU games and concerts in that arena. I think it has a different corporate name now, but whatever.
    I tuned into this game as well. Just as a warning: Bill Walton is doing "the color" on this one. I think Dave Pasch is playing the role of Walton's "speed bag" tonight. Going by his voice only, it sounded like Pasch.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Arizona finally found somebody they can beat. Worked out some frustrations on Utah.

Oregon struggling with the Cougs. Not good.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.