Thread: AP Poll ~ 1/13/20 - Gonzaga remains At #16

Post AP Poll ~ 1/13/20 - Gonzaga remains At #16

Lady Zags remain at #16 in this week's AP Poll...Gonzaga does pick up additional points this week...Trails #15 Indiana by only 6 points...

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...asketball-poll

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

I got the top 4 correct in my guess.

Hmmmmm.

I think 1 and 2 is Baylor and South Carolina, I'm not quite sure what order. Stanford #3. I think maybe the previous 1-3 all slide down 3 spots. Not sure I see either Louisville or UCLA jumping over any of UConn or the Oregon schools. But we shall see.
    O'k I will give you the first four right, just not in the right order.

While UConn did not get jumped by either Louisville or UCLA, Oregon State got jumped by both UCLA and Louisville and Louisville also jumped Oregon.

Not so sure why all the love for Oregon. When you look at Louisville, UConn, Oregon, Oregon State and UCLA. Oregon has the worst record (2 losses) and the highest RPI of these five teams. UCLA has a better record than either Oregon and Oregon State and has a victory over Arizona State which beat both Oregon and Oregon State this weekend.

UCLA will get their chance to prove they belong as at the end of the month at ASU, at Arizona and then at Stanford, then they get a break playing at Cal, then the host Oregon and Oregon State. Quite the gauntlet.

ZagDad

So How Did I do?

I think Baylor jumps SC and Stanford to become #1 followed by #2 Stanford and #3 South Carolina followed by #4 Louisville and #5 UCLA. I think due to UConn's big loss at home to Baylor, they will be jumped by both Oregon and Oregon State. Because of Oregon State's better resume, I think they jump Oregon, so #6 will be Oregon State, #7 Oregon and #8 UConn. NC State, despite their first loss will stay at #9.
    Well, I got the first 3 right but also not in the right order. I guess we both figured that Baylor's 16 point win at #1 UConn ending a 98 game winning streak combined with a 46 point victory over Oklahoma State was more than enough for the committee to elevate them over South Carolina who had a 9 point victory over #21 Arkansas at home combined with a 36 point victory over Vanderbilt contrary to the committee. After watching both teams, IMO Baylor is clearly the better team at this point in the season.

I got spots 4-8 correct but not in the right order.

I think the Lady Zags will stay at #16 in the AP Poll. I think Depaul will stay at #15, Florida State will drop 3 spots to #14 due to the large loss at home. I believe Indiana will fall one spot to #13 due to their 2OT loss on the road to Iowa. Texas A&M will drop 2 spots to #12 due to their close loss at home to LSU. Kentucky and Mississippi State will both move up 2 spots to #11 and #10. With only one loss, I think NC State will stay at #9.
    I got spots #9 to #12 right in the correct order and I did call the Lady Zags staying at #16. I am surprised that the voters gave Florida State more credit for a 3 point loss at home to an unranked team than to Indiana for a double overtime loss to Iowa at Iowa.

ASU will likely be but into the poll somewhere between #15-#20.
    And ASU comes into the poll at #18. Right on the nose.

ZagDad

The "love" for Oregon St.? They fell the furthest of anyone this week. They have a better record and better OOC wins than Oregon does.

I'm not sure how OSU compares to Gonzaga, but there is absolutely no reason any of the teams ranked 9-15 should be ahead of OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    The "love" for Oregon St.? They fell the furthest of anyone this week. They have a better record and better OOC wins than Oregon does.

I'm not sure how OSU compares to Gonzaga, but there is absolutely no reason any of the teams ranked 9-15 should be ahead of OSU.
    Huh, I said:

Not so sure why all the love for Oregon. When you look at Louisville, UConn, Oregon, Oregon State and UCLA. Oregon has the worst record (2 losses) and the highest RPI of these five teams.
    I entirely agree that Oregon State should be ranked above Oregon. I don't have a problem with UCLA being ranked above Oregon State but Oregon should be behind both Oregon State and UCLA.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Huh, I said:

I entirely agree that Oregon State should be ranked above Oregon. I don't have a problem with UCLA being ranked above Oregon State but Oregon should be behind both Oregon State and UCLA.

ZagDad
    My apologies. I totally misread that.

Yeah, Oregon should be one of the top teams in the country, but their resume just isn't much to brag about at this point. 3 of their next 4 games are against Stanford and Oregon St., so they can certainly add some high quality wins in a hurry.

Lady Zags continue to climb the ladder as Gonzaga is now tied with Florida State for #13 in this week's USAToday Coaches Poll...

USAToday Women’s Basketball Coaches Poll ~ 1/14/20

ESPN Women's College Basketball Rankings - Week 11

Quote Originally Posted by TerpZag View Post
    Lady Zags continue to climb the ladder as Gonzaga is now tied with Florida State for #13 in this week's USAToday Coaches Poll...

USAToday Women’s Basketball Coaches Poll ~ 1/14/20

ESPN Women's College Basketball Rankings - Week 11
    This poll makes more sense to me than the other one. UConn, Oregon and Oregon St. all dropped 4 spots after their losses instead of 3, 4 and 5 respectively. UCLA didn't jump anybody in this case, but Louisville did.

From The Slipper Still Fits:

Virtually Entire Top 25 Shifts, Except Gonzaga
    Holding strong at No. 16.
    By Peter Woodburn@wernies Jan 13, 2020, 4:15pm EST

The Gonzaga Bulldogs were one of two teams not to make any movement in the latest AP Poll, as the Zags begin the week ranked No. 16 again.

After spending what seemed like an eternity at No. 17, the M.O. for this year’s squad is to move up the rankings at a glacial pace. The Zags are coming off a week in which they handily defeated Saint Mary’s and needed some big late plays to defeat Pacific.

There was plenty of movement within the top 10, which reverberated throughout the polls. Connecticut lost to Baylor at home, falling to fourth place. Oregon lost to Arizona State on the road, falling to sixth. Oregon State also lost to Arizona State on the road, falling to eighth.

None of that mattered for the Zags, however, who were one of two teams to have no movement in the polls. So be it. Jenn Wirth was named WCC Player of the Week, so that is a bit of new good news for the Zags.

Gonzaga heads on the road this week to play Santa Clara and San Francisco.
    Article Link: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...except-gonzaga

ZagDad

Latest NCAA Women's Basketball RPI Rankings Link

Gonzaga continues to rank #7 this week...

Gonzaga WBB@ZagWBB 2 hours ago

The Zags move up 2️⃣ spots to No. 1️⃣3️⃣ in the latest Coaches Poll! ��

#UnitedWeZag

Gonzaga WBB Twitter Link

What? UConn is only up 3 midway thru the 4th quarter against a not even mediocre Memphis team. How cool would it be if the Huskies finally lose a game to an AAC opponent in their last season before leaving the conference?

edited--never mind, they stretched their lead out a bit, but not an impressive game. They basically have 3 good players this year and not much else. In recent years it seems like if you aren't a superstar, Geno can't use or develop the rest of his roster. I don't think he's the same coach as he was when he first started building UConn from the ground up.

Gonzaga stays at #1 on College Insiders Mid-Major Top-25.

What is interesting, is that while Gonzaga had all 31 first place votes last week, somebody must not have liked our 1 point victory over Pacific and gave their first place vote to Missouri State. Yes the same Missouri State we beat by double digits. Maybe they forgot about that game.

Whatever.

Not quite so sure why BYU is still ranked in the poll at #24 with a record of 8-7. How many votes does Jeff Judkins get??

College Insider Top-25 Mid-Major Poll Link: http://www.collegeinsider.com/womens...jor-top-25.php

ZagDad

BYU hasn't deserved to be ranked in the mid major poll at any point this season. Must be name recognition keeping them around, it certainly isn't anything they've done on the basketball court.