Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead at this week (Jan. 13-20) Santa Clara and BYU

Default Looking ahead at this week (Jan. 13-20) Santa Clara and BYU

I think that this should be a really fun week with a couple of really good games. The Zags will be back home in K2 both nights, and I think the students are back in school. I certainly hope so because it would be nice to see K2 rocking and mocking. haha The Zags play two teams this week, Santa Clara on Tuesday and BYU on Saturday, who are tied for second place in the WCC along with Pacific. I'm sure all of ZagNation is looking forward to seeing the Zags play against both of these teams. The Zags are 4-0 in Conference but have so far played teams who dwell more in the bottom part of the bracket; so it's going to be a lot more challenging, and therefore a lot more fun, to see our boys up against teams from the upper part of the bracket.

Santa Clara has one loss in conference against San Francisco, but also has areal nice win against St Mary's, @ St Mary's. For the entire season so far they only have 3 losses, and all three have been on the road, at Standford, at Nevada and at San Francisco. So I think that playing them at home gives us some advantage. They are ranked 129 on KenPom. Loyola Marymount is ranked 216th. I have not seen them play so I have no personal opinion of them accept I'm sure they will be tough.

BYU is a team that is currently hard to rate because they've had so many games without their best player Yoeli Childs. They have only lost one game in Conference and that was a loss in overtime to St Mary's, and they did NOT have Childs. They lost 4 games in their Out of Conference games (San Diego St, Kansas, Boise St and Utah), and three of their losses have been in Overtime (Boise St, Utah and St Mary's), and they only lost to San Diego St by 5 points. And I believe these losses were all without Childs. So what does all of this mean? It means that we're going to have a really challenging game Saturday with BYU. AND that is going to be a lot of fun.

If you are like me and like tough games, games that are closer and maybe even nail biters, than you'll probably have a fun week. There's been plenty of criticism about the Zags schedule, and even enough criticism about our conference, so I'm hoping that with a couple of really good games and good wins against a couple of the tougher teams in the WCC that some of the criticisms will decrease and maybe even go away (but I truly doubt the later part of that statement). So let's have some fun this week and get ready for a couple of really good games.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Both games are on the Deuce, so no streaming issues whatsoever. And I praise the Lord God for that; I should not have to jump through hoops (no pun intended) to watch some silly basketball game. The nachos will be tasty, the adult beverages will be flowing, the only thing missing is two Zags wins (for now).
    UNITED WE ZAG, BAY-BEE, UNITED WE ZAG

I seem to be one of the few who isnít that impressed with BYU. Kenpom likes them more than I do, so Iím obviously off base. Iím hoping to see what everyone else sees, because I donít like it when my opinions donít comport with reality. Granted, I saw them without Childs...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I seem to be one of the few who isn’t that impressed with BYU.
    With me, there should be three.

I'm guessing BYU is going to be without Childs when they face us.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    With me, there should be three.
    I would argue that it's a game-to-game and play-to-play kind of thing. They can be really good for stretches and then bad for stretches. I don't think that much has changed with the new coach, and most of that is due to Haws. He can play you right back into and out of a game at the same time (See SMC game). Really remarkable player to watch from afar. He's like the drunk version of Jimmer Freddette. Childs obviously makes a huge difference, but it seems like 2/3 of the time we play them they are making insane shots from everywhere and actually bring it. I think it will be a close game for at least a half.

I seem to be one of the few who isn’t that impressed with BYU. Kenpom likes them more than I do, so I’m obviously off base. I’m hoping to see what everyone else sees, because I don’t like it when my opinions don’t comport with reality. Granted, I saw them without Childs...
    I don't know about being impressed or unimpressed but count me as one who doesn't like them at all. I don't know if things have changed since they have a new coach, but while Rose was there I considered them to be the dirtiest team we had ever played. There were just too many guys on that those teams that I didn't like or respect. They have had some really awesome players over the years too, and I've enjoyed the battles we've had against them. I enjoyed the Zags having to stop a few of those players, the latest being Yoeli and the younger Hawes. Personally I thought the older brother was better and one of the most difficult guards Gonzaga has ever had to guard...accept for the Jimmer.

I've always been happy that they are in our conference now and hope they stay a long, long time. It's made our conference so much more competitive, and as you know I like that. I believe our games with them have become true rivalries, and that's good for basketball. I don't know if their team hates coming to K2 but I sure hate it when Gonzaga goes to play them there in their arena (30,000 crazy, maniac fans screaming). No. I will never say that it's okay that BYU beats Gonzaga. Never!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 01-13-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Davies, Bryant, Mika, Collinswoth, Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Childs. . .they have had some good ones.

In the aggregate however, the Kafusi brothers cancel them out.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Davies, Bryant, Mika, Collinswoth, Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Childs. . .they have had some good ones.

In the aggregate however, the Kafusi brothers cancel them out.
    Mix Nick "sucker puncher" Emery in with the Kafusi's and it tips the balance even more.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    óKurt Vonnegut

I had/have a lot of respect for Rose, Davies, Collinsworth, Pope, and Toolson. Then I remember Emery and Kaufusi, and how dangerous they played. Sloppy physicality and losing games is an unattractive combination.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I had/have a lot of respect for Rose, Davies, Collinsworth, Pope, and Toolson. Then I remember Emery and Kaufusi, and how dangerous they played. Sloppy physicality and losing games is an unattractive combination.
    Collinsworth one of my favorite players in the WCC. Can't help but think that knee injury derailed his career.

I seem to be one of the few who isn’t that impressed with BYU. Kenpom likes them more than I do, so I’m obviously off base. I’m hoping to see what everyone else sees, because I don’t like it when my opinions don’t comport with reality. Granted, I saw them without Childs...
    BYU during their first 8-10 games is not the same BYU of today. Of course, removing any 20 point (62 percent shooting) and 10 board player from your team is going to have a tremendous impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    I'm guessing BYU is going to be without Childs when they face us.
    Based on what? Heard he didnít play against SMC because he injured his finger in practice. How serious is the finger issue? Iíve seen players play with splint on broken finger on shooting hand. ... seems like it would take more than broken finger to keep him out against GU.
    Have you seen something different?

What I’ve heard:

Skin, of course, was broken, and is now healing.

Movement is still not 100 percent. Maybe 50 percent?

Infection is still a concern, though no reason to suspect infection so far.

Here's a short article on Childs from Saturday's SL Tribune: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...-yoeli-childs/

As of Wednesday afternoon, when The Salt Lake Tribune reached out to a BYU official, it was still expected that Childs would play.

That changed sometime Wednesday night and, come Thursday night, Childs was seen in street clothes, a cap and a splint on his finger in Saint Mary's University Credit Union Pavilion.

The final diagnosis: an open dislocation on his right index finger.

During BYU’s Sports Network pre-game show, Pope said they “found out [Wednesday] that he was probably going to be out for, I don’t know, a week, two weeks, something like that.”

When Pope talked to media after the game, he said he didn't have any updates or clear schedule on Childs return.
    The Deseret News also covered the story here: https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...n-jake-toolson

“I don’t know,” Pope said when asked about the timetable of Childs’ return. “He can bend his finger a little bit more. We’re still waiting for this wound to close … With these joints, infection is a huge concern. The closing of that wound is really important. Hopefully, it’s sooner rather than later. But in the meantime, these guys are going to come battle like they have. We’ll have other roster issues as we go through this season. We just are. So right now, we’re focused on taking care of Yoeli’s heart and soul and then trying to get this team to keep winning.”

Thank you for updates on Child’s injury. I personally hope he does play Saturday. Zags need to face tough competition to prepare for March.

BYU is BYU. They still play BYU basketball even after the coaching change. They still play that scrappy, almost chippy, brand of defense with a lot of grabbing and pushing. They have some big, strong men who will challenge our front court all night long. It’s good for our kids to play this opponent because it toughens them up for future games against the West Virginias and the Florida States that they can expect to meet in the NCAA Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    BYU is BYU. They still play BYU basketball even after the coaching change. They still play that scrappy, almost chippy, brand of defense with a lot of grabbing and pushing. They have some big, strong men who will challenge our front court all night long. Itís good for our kids to play this opponent because it toughens them up for future games against the West Virginias and the Florida States that they can expect to meet in the NCAA Tournament.
    Who has to guard our bigs while staying out of foul trouble
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Thank you for updates on Child’s injury. I personally hope he does play Saturday. Zags need to face tough competition to prepare for March.
    I hope he plays too. He's a great player, and I really like him a lot. He certainly will present a challenge for our bigs, but they've been challenged before by a couple of pretty good bigs (UW and Arizona). The matchup I like the most though is the one with Hawes. He's a really good guard, and experienced and could hurt us pretty bad if we aren't planned to stop him. I think he's possibly too tall for Woolridge so Ayayi will have to be ready.

Another important point is that the Zags must not be overlooking Santa Clara. Few knows this and he and his staff will work hard to keep the guys focused on one game at a time. It's going to be a challenging week. It's exciting to say the least.

Go Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!

I know I wrote Go Zags!!! twice. Once for our game against Santa Clara. The other for the BYU game.

I’m thinking we should ravage the WCC to keep our ranking!! Always though at the end of the power type conferences and their tournaments, expect our competitors to suffer another loss or two. Our job is to continue to improve. Offense and defense especially. We may lose another game. Big deal. Our goal is the NCAA tournament with 6 wins. I think we can do that.

To rain on the parade a bit, even if Childs comes back for the GU game the injury is on his shooting hand. It could very easily be buddy taped to his middle finger. It will be very hard to shoot, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I’m thinking we should ravage the WCC to keep our ranking!! Always though at the end of the power type conferences and their tournaments, expect our competitors to suffer another loss or two. Our job is to continue to improve. Offense and defense especially. We may lose another game. Big deal. Our goal is the NCAA tournament with 6 wins. I think we can do that.
    I love this post. Thanks for all those positive thoughts. I think your word choice of "ravage" to express a feeling of what we need to do to the WCC is so awesome. I'll be smiling every time I think of that wonderful word. I like new concepts like this to enter my consciousness. I'm going to be hoping that we can do that to two of those WCC teams this week. Nothing would make me happier than to see the Zags ravage those two teams. AND i do not mean in a violent way, and this word can also mean. But in a little lighter sense of the word, to just ruin havoc upon, or just to commit havoc or devastation upon them.

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

Go Zags!!!

To rain on the parade a bit, even if Childs comes back for the GU game the injury is on his shooting hand. It could very easily be buddy taped to his middle finger. It will be very hard to shoot, either way.
    Thatís OK because the guy defending him will only have one arm...if he plays at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I hope that Yoeli does not play Saturday. I've always felt (for this season) that if the Zags are to run the WCC table, they need some lucky breaks to go their way, and this would be one of them. There's an old saying in basketball, "Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good". Regarding the 1989 NBA Finals, had Byron Scott and Magic Johnson not been injured, it's very doubtful that the Pistons win that title.
    UNITED WE ZAG, BAY-BEE, UNITED WE ZAG

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I hope that Yoeli does not play Saturday. I've always felt (for this season) that if the Zags are to run the WCC table, they need some lucky breaks to go their way, and this would be one of them. There's an old saying in basketball, "Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good". Regarding the 1989 NBA Finals, had Byron Scott and Magic Johnson not been injured, it's very doubtful that the Pistons win that title.
    You're doing a lot of Zigging and not enough Zagging. We want to be full-strength, and we want them to be full-strength. No excuses.