Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 36 of 36

Thread: Looking ahead at this week (Jan. 13-20) Santa Clara and BYU

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Who has to guard our bigs while staying out of foul trouble
    That’s part of the game for both teams. Our players need to finish through contact, because it will be a physical game. Our players can’t wait for the officials to bail them out, because not every officiating crew will call all of that contact. Our players need to make free throws when fouls are called. If Petrusev, Timme, and Tillie can put their team in early foul trouble, that obviously helps Gonzaga. Our team will benefit from the experience.
    Last edited by Martin Centre Mad Man; 01-14-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    535

    Default

    I have the announcers; I'll cut and paste from my other sports board.
    Santa Clara--Gonzaga: Eric Rothman, Corey Williams
    BYU--Gonzaga: Dave Flemming, Adrian Branch

    Rothman & Williams are excellent; I'm almost positive they did a Zags game last season.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    46,301

    Default

    On BYU Coach Pope's media show today :

    " Mark Pope tells Greg Wrubell Yoeli Childs' finger puncture has to heal. The doctor says 7-10 days from now. Maybe two weeks. "

    Source: BYU Dir. of Broadcasting Greg Wrubell's Twitter feed

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    This ...



    Then this ...



    I'd like to see both teams spanked well enough by the Zags this week so that neither team looks forward to a repeat game on their home court. Then both really dread meeting the Zags in Vegas. I so like Santa Clara more than I dislike them. I take special exception to BYU though ... never have liked them and ALWAYS love it when we whack them in Provo. I'm still revengeful from when BYU beat the Zags on Senior Night in '17.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    This ...



    Then this ...



    I'd like to see both teams spanked well enough by the Zags this week so that neither team looks forward to a repeat game on their home court. Then both really dread meeting the Zags in Vegas. I so like Santa Clara more than I dislike them. I take special exception to BYU though ... never have liked them and ALWAYS love it when we whack them in Provo. I'm still revengeful from when BYU beat the Zags on Senior Night in '17.
    They seem to remember that night over the over-all record. Or the 40-point beat down we gave them in Provo last year. Or the fact they've never won a conference title. I'm still waiting for them to hang the "We beat Gonzaga" banner.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    They seem to remember that night over the over-all record. Or the 40-point beat down we gave them in Provo last year. Or the fact they've never won a conference title. I'm still waiting for them to hang the "We beat Gonzaga" banner.
    SCU is surely out for revenge after the thrashing they were handed shortly after their new campaign began.

    Here's Blanchette's article:

    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ark-fews-call/

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,522

    Default

    My worry is that beating a Childless BYU, they will be able to plot their revenge in the Provo game. They will be able to take the loss with a grain of salt.

    It will make the game in Provo harder. I would rather Childs played and was not at full health/strength to keep them from justifying the loss.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    My worry is that beating a Childless BYU, they will be able to plot their revenge in the Provo game. They will be able to take the loss with a grain of salt.

    It will make the game in Provo harder. I would rather Childs played and was not at full health/strength to keep them from justifying the loss.
    Yep. Also consider that 3 of BYU’s 4 losses were in overtime, two of them without Childs. The other was by 5 points to unbeaten San Diego State. I believe they’ve only lost once with Childs active.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    #2 2021 Recruit Paolo Banchero going to be in the house for an official visit for the BYU game. Really hope the Kennel Club brings it! Show him how bad we want him!

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    #2 2021 Recruit Paolo Banchero going to be in the house for an official visit for the BYU game. Really hope the Kennel Club brings it! Show him how bad we want him!
    This is really the most important storyline. Wallop any team when there's a big-time recruit in the building.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Davies, Bryant, Mika, Collinswoth, Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Childs. . .they have had some good ones.

    In the aggregate however, the Kafusi brothers cancel them out.
    Gee how could you not mention Carlino….he was always good for at least one win......for Gonzaga

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •