• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
    This board is in general so frustratingly stubborn. So many mindlessly predictable responses that don't even address the question of the original post if they aren't explicitly ra-ra homerism. For many (not all) contributors, the only "appropriate" or desired comments are some variant on "GU is the best team ever, will never lose, no player has ever underperformed, and we should all be constantly ecstatic with every element of the program."

If we are going to have a WCC loss, I'd prefer it would be the one that allows the most room for growth and learning. I suspect that would be the game against BYU in Provo.

SMC is the Jordan Ford show, I'm not sure what I can imagine learning from a loss to them.
    Nice job of disrespecting those of us who don't share your opinion. I don't expect us to run the table. The way things are shaking out, there will be no "good" losses in the WCC.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

I think you can learn from tough wins. I honestly don’t know what loss helps this team over another. I’ve thought about it some more I would want whatever loss allows this team to win the WCC regular season title. I certainly don’t want a loss in the WCC tournament. I can’t predict which loss I would prefer because I don’t know how it will influence seeding or the outcome of conference play. I’d prefer a game that the team is down in and has to dig its way out of, but eventually wins.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
        Banned
        • Jan 2019

Some random non-conference game next season. I don't take losses very well; I was down in the dumps when we lost to St. Marys in Vegas last season.

I think we can run the WCC table this season, we just need a few lucky breaks to go our way.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

i prefer them to lose whatever game i'm not able to watch...so if the wcc is going to put the zags on facebook again, i guess feel free to lose that one.

Comment

• sylean
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2010

loser talk........lets not go there.

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

It's just not a good question as stated. Assumes a few things not likely to happen. No time for it..ie chasing down something and spending time chasing an untoward event.

Comment

• Markburn1
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2015

Never been on board with a loss as a wake up call. A good team and a good coaching staff should be able to stay engaged throughout the season. There will always be poor games but there should never be poor effort. There are always going to be games that look like the kids are coasting, but they really aren't. Biorythms are real and sometimes several players contend with an off day during the same game. Mostly they overcome the sluggishness because that's what they do as peak athletes. I'm not giving them a complete pass because it's easy to get complacent when the opposition isn't stellar, but the coaching staff is responsible for keeping kids sharp and using the bench as a tool.

The two games last week, both wins, served as a reminder that they can't coast no matter the quality of the opposition. There is plenty to learn from game film no matter the result of the games. I prefer the result to be a win and learn from the successes and failures in those games. I don't think there is much more to learn from a loss as opposed to a win.

I'm hoping when the Zags hit the big tournament that there is a one in the loss column. They will be plenty woke with a record of 32-1.

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Obviously I would prefer that they didn't lose....but if they do...….. I hope it is to Pacific on the 25th.....

for a couple reasons....

some in here have been complaining about Pacific since they joined....

and second because of the unbalance schedule it is the only game against Pacific....

I don't understand the logic of trying to improve the teams WCC by taking away their marque games...…

Go Tigers....

Comment

• RenoZag
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Back on Halloween when I chimed in on the "19-20 Season Record Prediction Thread", I threw out 26 -7, for 33 games, assuming GU would play two in the Vegas tourney. I don't see that loss forecast coming true but I still think there are teams within the conference who have the talent to hang a loss on the Zags. So far, the injuries and the "off nights" from the field-- and the FT line -- haven't coalesced.

If it comes to pass, I've no preference for one conqueror over another. I would hope the GUB MBB Forum doesn't lose its collective mind over it.

Last edited by RenoZag; 01-13-2020, 09:17 AM.
                    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• zagdontzig
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by tummydoc View Post
                      I'd prefer the next loss is the blue team during Kraziness 2020
                      Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                      I don’t prefer losses
                      Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                      Also screw BYU
                      Originally posted by jpn17 View Post
                      I dont think a loss is a certainty and I definitely wouldn't prefer them to lose any and especially not to BYU.
                      Originally posted by sylean View Post
                      loser talk........lets not go there.
                      I agree with these posts, even if wanting to win is "stubborn" and "predictable." No such thing as a "good loss." Go Zags.
                      Originally posted by Reborn
                      Go Zags!!!
                      Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• Zaga
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Nov 2010

#runthetable

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                          • Feb 2007

Preference would be to run the table. But in the spirit of the thread, only loss I could stomach would be to a borderline tourney team. Right now that is only BYU... I guess in Provo.
                          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                            I think you can learn from tough wins. I honestly don’t know what loss helps this team over another. I’ve thought about it some more I would want whatever loss allows this team to win the WCC regular season title. I certainly don’t want a loss in the WCC tournament. I can’t predict which loss I would prefer because I don’t know how it will influence seeding or the outcome of conference play. I’d prefer a game that the team is down in and has to dig its way out of, but eventually wins.
                            This....................If it's all about learning and getting better, I agree with JP, that the guys can learn just as much, maybe more, from a tough win. The conference title is pretty much a given this year, IMHO, and losing in the WCC tournament just gives the committee a "get out of jail free" card to put GU anywhere they want in the Dance.

Tough wins, not close losses.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• CB4
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2009

Even with one or two more losses, maybe even three, I'd find it hard to believe the zags won't be in Spokane.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                                Even with one or two more losses, maybe even three, I'd find it hard to believe the zags won't be in Spokane.
                                Think it would depend on who the loss was to.
                                "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                                X