Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Game Would You Prefer Zags Lose?

Default Which Game Would You Prefer Zags Lose?

Convinced Zags won’t run the WCC schedule (and don’t need to do it.) Also believe a loss at some point would be a wake-up call.

If I could pick, I’d choose 2/22 @ BYU. Wouldn’t effect the conference standings, on the road late in the season against a good team. If not then, than semi or final in the WCC tourney. Undefeated into the NCAAs accomplishes nothing but increases pressure, IMHO.

But, what’s your view and rationale?

After watching Gonzaga basketball for over 40 years, I have seen enough losses. I prefer that they do not lose. Plus they have gone undefeated in WCC play in the past, so it is possible this year as well.

There’s an answer to that question but it is lodged somewhere between my head and my heart.

I'd prefer the next loss is the blue team during Kraziness 2020

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Ya Mon! Me 2!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I don’t prefer losses
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Also screw BYU
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I dont think a loss is a certainty and I definitely wouldn't prefer them to lose any and especially not to BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I don’t prefer losses
    This board is in general so frustratingly stubborn. So many mindlessly predictable responses that don't even address the question of the original post if they aren't explicitly ra-ra homerism. For many (not all) contributors, the only "appropriate" or desired comments are some variant on "GU is the best team ever, will never lose, no player has ever underperformed, and we should all be constantly ecstatic with every element of the program."

If we are going to have a WCC loss, I'd prefer it would be the one that allows the most room for growth and learning. I suspect that would be the game against BYU in Provo.

SMC is the Jordan Ford show, I'm not sure what I can imagine learning from a loss to them.

to answer the OP, St. Marys is the obvious answer because they've already suffered a conference loss, and a win/loss would still have them winning the conference.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

[QUOTE=LTownZag;1496213]This board is in general so frustratingly stubborn. So many mindlessly predictable responses that don't even address the question of the original post if they aren't explicitly ra-ra homerism. For many (not all) contributors, the only "appropriate" or desired comments are some variant on "GU is the best team ever, will never lose, no player has ever underperformed, and we should all be constantly ecstatic with every element of the program."

Sorry my opinion does not fall in line with your view or opinion

I don’t want a loss and instead would like to build on success with each win to become national champions

So feel free to label me stubborn or mindless i guess
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

None, but I’d get bored if they won every game. Part of being a fan is living through the drama of the ups and downs.

[QUOTE=Hoopaholic;1496218]
    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    This board is in general so frustratingly stubborn. So many mindlessly predictable responses that don't even address the question of the original post if they aren't explicitly ra-ra homerism. For many (not all) contributors, the only "appropriate" or desired comments are some variant on "GU is the best team ever, will never lose, no player has ever underperformed, and we should all be constantly ecstatic with every element of the program."

Sorry my opinion does not fall in line with your view or opinion

I don’t want a loss and instead would like to build on success with each win to become national champions

So feel free to label me stubborn or mindless i guess

If there has to be a loss I would prefer it be to a team that plays at a slow pace. St Mary's, UOP(they played slow last year). Those are the most frustrating games for a team that likes to get out in transition. I think its pretty tough for a team to outscore us in a high possession high speed game. If we have take a loss I would like it to be a grind out game so we learn to deal with it if it comes up in the future.

BYU in Provo.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

If we are going to have a WCC loss, I'd prefer it would be the one that allows the most room for growth and learning. I suspect that would be the game against BYU in Provo.

SMC is the Jordan Ford show, I'm not sure what I can imagine learning from a loss to them.
    Nice job of disrespecting those of us who don't share your opinion. I don't expect us to run the table. The way things are shaking out, there will be no "good" losses in the WCC.

I think you can learn from tough wins. I honestly don’t know what loss helps this team over another. I’ve thought about it some more I would want whatever loss allows this team to win the WCC regular season title. I certainly don’t want a loss in the WCC tournament. I can’t predict which loss I would prefer because I don’t know how it will influence seeding or the outcome of conference play. I’d prefer a game that the team is down in and has to dig its way out of, but eventually wins.

Some random non-conference game next season. I don't take losses very well; I was down in the dumps when we lost to St. Marys in Vegas last season.

I think we can run the WCC table this season, we just need a few lucky breaks to go our way.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

i prefer them to lose whatever game i'm not able to watch...so if the wcc is going to put the zags on facebook again, i guess feel free to lose that one.

loser talk........lets not go there.

It's just not a good question as stated. Assumes a few things not likely to happen. No time for it..ie chasing down something and spending time chasing an untoward event.

Never been on board with a loss as a wake up call. A good team and a good coaching staff should be able to stay engaged throughout the season. There will always be poor games but there should never be poor effort. There are always going to be games that look like the kids are coasting, but they really aren't. Biorythms are real and sometimes several players contend with an off day during the same game. Mostly they overcome the sluggishness because that's what they do as peak athletes. I'm not giving them a complete pass because it's easy to get complacent when the opposition isn't stellar, but the coaching staff is responsible for keeping kids sharp and using the bench as a tool.

The two games last week, both wins, served as a reminder that they can't coast no matter the quality of the opposition. There is plenty to learn from game film no matter the result of the games. I prefer the result to be a win and learn from the successes and failures in those games. I don't think there is much more to learn from a loss as opposed to a win.

I'm hoping when the Zags hit the big tournament that there is a one in the loss column. They will be plenty woke with a record of 32-1.

Obviously I would prefer that they didn't lose....but if they do...….. I hope it is to Pacific on the 25th.....

for a couple reasons....

some in here have been complaining about Pacific since they joined....

and second because of the unbalance schedule it is the only game against Pacific....

I don't understand the logic of trying to improve the teams WCC by taking away their marque games...…

Go Tigers....

Back on Halloween when I chimed in on the "19-20 Season Record Prediction Thread", I threw out 26 -7, for 33 games, assuming GU would play two in the Vegas tourney. I don't see that loss forecast coming true but I still think there are teams within the conference who have the talent to hang a loss on the Zags. So far, the injuries and the "off nights" from the field-- and the FT line -- haven't coalesced.

If it comes to pass, I've no preference for one conqueror over another. I would hope the GUB MBB Forum doesn't lose its collective mind over it.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ord-prediction
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-13-2020 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    I don’t prefer losses
    Also screw BYU
    Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    I dont think a loss is a certainty and I definitely wouldn't prefer them to lose any and especially not to BYU.
    Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    loser talk........lets not go there.
    I agree with these posts, even if wanting to win is "stubborn" and "predictable." No such thing as a "good loss." Go Zags.