Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Game Would You Prefer Zags Lose?

#runthetable

Preference would be to run the table. But in the spirit of the thread, only loss I could stomach would be to a borderline tourney team. Right now that is only BYU... I guess in Provo.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I think you can learn from tough wins. I honestly donít know what loss helps this team over another. Iíve thought about it some more I would want whatever loss allows this team to win the WCC regular season title. I certainly donít want a loss in the WCC tournament. I canít predict which loss I would prefer because I donít know how it will influence seeding or the outcome of conference play. Iíd prefer a game that the team is down in and has to dig its way out of, but eventually wins.
    This....................If it's all about learning and getting better, I agree with JP, that the guys can learn just as much, maybe more, from a tough win. The conference title is pretty much a given this year, IMHO, and losing in the WCC tournament just gives the committee a "get out of jail free" card to put GU anywhere they want in the Dance.

Tough wins, not close losses.

Go ZAGS

Even with one or two more losses, maybe even three, I'd find it hard to believe the zags won't be in Spokane.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Even with one or two more losses, maybe even three, I'd find it hard to believe the zags won't be in Spokane.
    Think it would depend on who the loss was to.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I agree with these posts, even if wanting to win is "stubborn" and "predictable." No such thing as a "good loss." Go Zags.
    Thanks for a very good thread, TravelingZag, and I totally disagree with whoever gave this thread a one star. As I've said before I don't like to see any thread get a one star. As if the person who gave the thread a one star is so much better and creating threads. I'd love to find out who the "Chicken Little" is and unmask the little coward.

Anyway. Threads like this make people think, I believe. It certainly made me think. I've read the entire thread over 3 times now, and honestly I really enjoy reading it because it clearly shows how different people think. And I think that's good. I think that a person who believes that Gonzaga will go undefeated in Conference Play has to be either "stubborn" or "predictable." And neither are people who prefer to think positively. It has given me a lot of pleasure to read the posts of those who do think positive and refuse to give in to thinking negative. You are all like a shining light to me, and thank you (and I'm sure that you are to all of the players and coaches and staff on the team). I wish more and more people would chime in here about what they think, and especially those who believe that they don't have to think that the Zags are going to lose another game. It' would be cool to see a few hundred people like that respond here. Talk about giving the Zags a big boost during a week when they could use that.

I also think that just because a person who starts a thread wants us to think in a certain way (in this case thinking that the Zags will lose a game, or even imagining the Zags will lose a game) that we have to respond the way he or she wants us to. Obviously some people on here have the strength to post what they believe. Especially when everyone knows that if you go against the grain that there will be some "know it all" who comes along and wants to put a negative label on you. That's why I really do respect those who have have the freedom to express themselves the way they want to. I stand with all of you who refuse to think the Zags have to lose a game this year.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Put me firmly in the camp of not wanting the Zags to lose, buy if I have to pick one game...I'll say the NC.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Put me firmly in the camp of not wanting the Zags to lose, buy if I have to pick one game...I'll say the NC.
    Color me the opposite. I want them to be in and win that game.

Let me say this. I do think this is a good thread. I also think it is OK for people to say none if they feel like it. Rather people freely express their humble opinions on it.

Why think about it until we must?

I have plenty of things to fret about already.
    Parlez-vous franÁais?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Why think about it until we must?

I have plenty of things to fret about already.
    hahahaha haha nice Mantua....thanks for a good laugh this morning

I was reading an article by Bob Condotta, who works for the Seattle Times, about the Seahawk loss yesterday, and I thought that a quote by Pete Carol in that article fits in nicely here about how I feel about how we think. When talking about the 4th quarter comeback Carol said, "There was not a guy on that sidelines that we were connected to that thought we weren't going to win that football game all the way until we didn't. And that is what this thing has felt like the whole time, the whole year. It's an amazing chemistry, and it's an amazing group." As a fan yesterday that is exactly how I felt the whole second half all the way until they didn't win. Sure it hurts a little when the team you love doesn't win. But it's okay.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    This board is in general so frustratingly stubborn. So many mindlessly predictable responses that don't even address the question of the original post if they aren't explicitly ra-ra homerism. For many (not all) contributors, the only "appropriate" or desired comments are some variant on "GU is the best team ever, will never lose, no player has ever underperformed, and we should all be constantly ecstatic with every element of the program."

If we are going to have a WCC loss, I'd prefer it would be the one that allows the most room for growth and learning. I suspect that would be the game against BYU in Provo.

SMC is the Jordan Ford show, I'm not sure what I can imagine learning from a loss to them.
    You seem pleasant.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

I would be shocked, personally, if Gonzaga doesn't win the WCC regular season title outright. There about five teams in this league who are going to cannibalize one another. It's likely to lead to a 2 TO 3 game gap between GU and the rest of those teams.

I too believe the Zags won't go unblemished thru league. I know it is an easy answer, but I would prefer to lose on the road to the highest NET ranked team.

Of course if Gonzaga loses at St. Mary's or especially at BYU, it carries with it a different "national perception" than if they were to beat those two teams but drop one at San Francisco or Santa Clara. Personally, I care more about what the NCAA committee thinks than what Gonzaga hater fans think.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I would be shocked, personally, if Gonzaga doesn't win the WCC regular season title outright. There about five teams in this league who are going to cannibalize one another. It's likely to lead to a 2 TO 3 game gap between GU and the rest of those teams.

I too believe the Zags won't go unblemished thru league. I know it is an easy answer, but I would prefer to lose on the road to the highest NET ranked team.

Of course if Gonzaga loses at St. Mary's or especially at BYU, it carries with it a different "national perception" than if they were to beat those two teams but drop one at San Francisco or Santa Clara. Personally, I care more about what the NCAA committee thinks than what Gonzaga hater fans think.
    Completely agree with everything here.

Thanks to Reborn and others who understand the thought and spirit behind this thread. I never root a Zag loss, just know that losses are inevitable. I simply hope that they occur when they do the Zags the least damage, and might confer some benefit. Also respect that unlike most “fan forums,” here one finds thought, questions and doubts. They provide a context for unabashed support and unbridled hope. Thanks again for understanding and support. It meant a lot.

Go Zags!!! Refuse to lose!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    I never root a Zag loss, just know that losses are inevitable.
    This is what I disagree with - losses are not 100% inevitable, Yes an undefeated season has a very, very small percentage of happening, but it is possible. This is proven by that it has occurred numerous times in the past - the last time in the 1975-6 season by Indiana, led by Scott May, Kent Benson and Quinn Buckner.

So I will keep an open, positive mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i prefer them to lose whatever game i'm not able to watch...so if the wcc is going to put the zags on facebook again, i guess feel free to lose that one.
    I sort of agree with this, but with only 3 more ROOT games left, I have my fingers crossed that the Face-Broke situation won't rear its ugly head again.

I think that a person who believes that Gonzaga will go undefeated in Conference Play has to be either "stubborn" or "predictable." And neither are people who prefer to think positively.
    I don't think I'm stubborn or predictable, but I do believe that the Zags will run the table. They are so much better than the rest of the WCC that it's a realistic goal. Now if Killian gets injured again, it's a different story.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG

We are better but a kerfuffle happens. Bad shooting night, bad defense , bad free throw shooting, etc with a very hot shooting team can get us an L. Michigan proved that. The rest of the way in though, only a conceptional loss as CDC mentions is the only loss anybody should work with. High NET team, GU on the road.....minimal damage. In past years many have mentioned that if we get a loss, do it prior to the tournament to get a loss out of our system. I suppose that might be the case. Usually has been in the past several years. Hate the losses but sometimes they seem to puncture a few egos so those kids can get back to the hard work required for a deep run.

One of the beautiful things about this team is that they aren't a group of players with big egos that might need to get punctured. Or maybe Few and his staff have already done that, but they appear to be playing great as a team. It's the main thing that makes this team go. We have seven players who can score in double figures and probably five or six of them can score twenty points on any given night. And the nice thing about this team is we never know who that player, or players, will be. Finally, I see no reason why the team has to lose a game or two. The most dangerous team in my opinion is BYU, and we get to play them Saturday.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Finally, I see no reason why the team has to lose a game or two. The most dangerous team in my opinion is BYU, and we get to play them Saturday.
    At the Kennel, and probably without Yoeli. I really don't see a downside here.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG