Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Santa Clara - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

I haven't done these in awhile as the games seemed just to obvious as to what will happen. Many expect a close game and are worried...I am not worried.

Gonzaga - 85
    Santa Clara - 68

that was fun to read all of that

haven't seen SCU play so wondering if they run effective screen/roll?? and if yes how Zags will deal with it. if not will Sendek use it anyway having watched film? probably, so looking forward to seeing how Zags deal with that; will Zags initial game plan work effectively from jump, or will big in game adjustments need to be made? Zags have really been fun to follow on both of these things defensively over the last decade, this year too.

Pariseau, ouch I remember (but good for him), and Brownridge remains as good a player as I've seen in the conference, always a handful, if his genie got out of the bottle, trouble

Quote Originally Posted by sullyzag66 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=280332541

Another great game at Leavey was in 2008, Steven Gray’s freshman year. SCU only needed to inbound the ball and run out three or four seconds for the win in regulation. The inbounds pass was tipped and ended up near centercourt. Gray went for the ball and the infamous Brody Angley fouled him unnecessarily. Gray calmly sank two free throws to send the game into the first overtime. Zags won it in the second overtime.
    Video of the block, the last-second foul by Angley, and the free throws. The first one was almost long, and the second one barely bounced in. Pretty unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSR...0&index=3&t=0s

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Video of the block, the last-second foul by Angley, and the free throws. The first one was almost long, and the second one barely bounced in. Pretty unbelievable.

Those shorts though.

Will never forget the disdain with which SCU and their fans treated Gonzaga's entry into the WCC. Or, the same sneering when they dominated the early games of the series. Couple of factors, I believe, will contribute to another bigtime payback tonight. First, GU players will likely be be disturbed by being one of the few teams ever bumped from #1 without losing (tho I personally think it's warranted). Secondly, Zags, as a team, have yet to put a complete game together. Contributions from one or more team members have consistently been lacking. Third, da boyz finally seem (except for Watson) fully healthy. Fourth, SCU seems a different, much less capable, team on the road vs at home.

So, let's take a healthy, fully motivated (students back as well) GU squad and add six points to their home scoring average and subtract six from SCU's road average. Final: GU 94 SCU 60.

GU - 90
    SCU - 77

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post

Is this one the worst, or is the one where David Stockton hits the full court lay-up as time expires in the WCC tourney the worst, or is the one where Sam Dower hits the game winner the worst...? My head hurts. We've been blown out many times, including last year at the Leavey center in what was, in my opinion, the worst SCU basketball I've ever seen, but the close ones sting.

I guess I'm just glad I don't have to watch Kerry Keating pout on the sidelines, a pretend I like him because he happens to coach the team of the school that I went to...

Zags win 91-76
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

Zags 92
    SCU 68

Go Zags!!! Refuse to lose!!!

Gonzaga 87 SCU 63

Kispert high score with 23, Petro 2nd with 19
    Woolridge with a double-double dishing dimes to everyone and scoring 11
    Lang for 3 and free tacos

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 92
    Santa Clara 60

I believe Gonzaga is going to show why they are #1 this week beginning with tomorrow's game with Santa Clara.
    Hoping to see the score reflecting that opinion.
    Hoping to see the Zags make 10 or more three's.
    Hoping to see tough defense for 40 minutes. It's time for the team's defense to start showing why I believe it's good.

Hoping to see less than 12 turn overs.

Go Zags!!!
    Reborn: I seem to recall GU playing SCU back in the day when SCU basketball had the All-American Dennis Awtrey and national attention. If so, I'm assuming you played in that game or games, right?

91-66 GU. Keep improvong (especially on D). Stay healthy and get healthy. I want to see continued improvement from Tillie. He still looks to me like he is a little too heavy and does not have quite the spring that we've seen in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Reborn: I seem to recall GU playing SCU back in the day when SCU basketball had the All-American Dennis Awtrey and national attention. If so, I'm assuming you played in that game or games, right?
    Just did a quick scan- the only time SCU and GU played when Dennis "The Tree" Awtrey was on the team was in Santa Clara on Dec. 23, 1968... SCU went to 8-0 with the W, on route to a 27-2 record, AP #2 ranking, and a loss to Lew Alcindor in the NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post
    Just did a quick scan- the only time SCU and GU played when Dennis "The Tree" Awtrey was on the team was in Santa Clara on Dec. 23, 1968... SCU went to 8-0 with the W, on route to a 27-2 record, AP #2 ranking, and a loss to Lew Alcindor in the NCAA tournament.
    Wow, SCU was even better than I recall. Losing to UCLA with Alcindor is nothing to be ashamed of -- everyone that played against those UCLA teams in the '60s/early '70s got hammered.

Thanks for quick research (and affirming that my long-term memory isn't gone yet). Since it was 1968, Reborn should have played in the game. Did your research show the score?

I think Dennis also had a brother who played before or after him at SCU.

GU 90
    SCU 67

I remember that Western Regional Finals Game UCLA and SCU...

Besides Awtrey SCU had the Ogden brothers and were a pretty dominant team in the WCAC that season...the three averaged over 51ppg and almost 30rbpg...

In the Western Regional Championship, UCLA beat the tar out of the Broncos. UCLA's 1-1-2-1 press gave SCU fits as they hard a hard time getting the ball over the half-court line...the game was over before half time.

I fear tonights game might well have the same outcome...SCU on the road is giving up over 80pts on the road and scoring only 64.

88-72 Gonzaga

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wow, SCU was even better than I recall. Losing to UCLA with Alcindor is nothing to be ashamed of -- everyone that played against those UCLA teams in the '60s/early '70s got hammered.

Thanks for quick research (and affirming that my long-term memory isn't gone yet). Since it was 1968, Reborn should have played in the game. Did your research show the score?

I think Dennis also had a brother who played before or after him at SCU.
    86-62, Broncos.

"Hammered" is the right word for it... as the #2 in the AP poll we lost to #1 UCLA 90-52...! They had beat us in the preceding tournament as well, in the "Sweet Sixteen" of what was then a 32 team tournament. The 1952 Santa Clara team made the "Final Four", but most would hold the 1968-69 team as the best ever.

There's no other "Awtrey" in the all-time letterwinners list, but those are frequently incomplete, or fail to list players who only played freshman basketball, etc. There were two brothers on the team, Bud and Ralph Ogden. Bud was featured on the cover of sports illustrated.

Looking forward to tonight!

Is this one the worst, or is the one where David Stockton hits the full court lay-up as time expires in the WCC tourney the worst, or is the one where Sam Dower hits the game winner the worst...? My head hurts. We've been blown out many times, including last year at the Leavey center in what was, in my opinion, the worst SCU basketball I've ever seen, but the close ones sting.
    The worst was my junior year at GU. We were riding the nation’s longest home winning streak. None of the students in my class had ever seen us lose on our home floor. You had this cocky Canadian point guard who shot the lights out all night long. He outplayed our all-conference point guard from tip to tip and somehow escaped the Kennel with a win on the last possession.

Does anybody remember that guy from SCU? Steve something or other? I wonder whatever happened to him...
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    The worst was my junior year at GU. We were riding the nation’s longest home winning streak. None of the students in my class had ever seen us lose on our home floor. You had this cocky Canadian point guard who shot the lights out all night long. He outplayed our all-conference point guard from tip to tip and somehow escaped the Kennel with a win on the last possession.

Does anybody remember that guy from SCU? Steve something or other? I wonder whatever happened to him...
    Vaguely!

The Broncos were after some long-forgotten point guard from Seattle (O'Dea HS, maybe?) who ended up committing to UW at the last second, so they took that kid out of Victoria sort of on spec... Worked okay.

Leaving a data entry placeholder... Go Zags!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Zags 89

John Bryants 68

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default VAGUELY?

Vaguely!

The Broncos were after some long-forgotten point guard from Seattle (O'Dea HS, maybe?) who ended up committing to UW at the last second, so they took that kid out of Victoria sort of on spec... Worked okay.
    Are you saying you aren't sure about the guy's name? Or are you saying his name was "Steve Vaguely"? That is an unusual surname ... maybe Latino?
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Default TREE AWTREY

I seem to recall GU playing SCU back in the day when SCU basketball had the All-American Dennis Awtrey and national attention.
    More on Dennis "The Tree" Awtrey:

Per Wiki, "In 2012, Awtrey moved to Manzanita, Oregon, where he now operates a bed-and-breakfast."

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Yes. I do remember that game. And for me/us it was a huge game to play a really good team in California. It was the biggest game we played during those years. That one and the games against Washington State When WSU had Ted Wierman and Lenny Allen from Yakima, Ray Stein from Richland, and were 2nd in the Pac 8....They were a great team and 2nd only to Lew Alcinder's UCLA teams. WSU also had Jim McKee sorry if I misspelled that name.

I was so in awe of the ARENA at Santa Clara. It was an old gym with a balcony I think. Most unlike any gym we had ever played in, and they were really really good. My memory is clear about the game yet so much I don't remember. It was kind of an honor for us. I was the same back then as I am now. I believed we could or would beat them so was a little blown away by how bad they beat us.

hahaha
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Yes I do remember. It was a "big time" for us. I was so excited. I had never been to California and this was like a dream come true for me. I rarely got out of Yakima as KId growing up. I remember how different Santa Clara's gym was. It was like no other. I think it had a balcony, and was really old and kind of classic looking like something I imagined in Europe. hahaha I do remember getting spanked and was disappointed. I really hated losing, even back then. I never took a loss very well, even to a team as good as Santa Clara was. But all in all it was an honor to play them there.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!