Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Santa Clara - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

This year's version of Santa Clara is good, but this year's version of Gonzaga is still better.

Zags - 89
    University of Santa Clara - 77
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Popping in for one of my semi-annual visits.

Many posters here nailed it- the question is which SCU road team shows up.

In Broncoland, most are satisfied with the progress this season. While the 15 wins thus far have come against largely cupcakes at home, there are two Pac-12 wins in there (WSU, Cal) and, for the first time in what feels like forever, no absolute clunker losses to OOC opponents who will finish the year in the 200+ RPI category. Santa Clara has had trouble doing that since before Kerry Keating. Having won only 16 games last year in total, the numerical progress is evident.

The win at SMC restored some enthusiasm after a flat performance against USF. Prior to SMC, all three true road games had been double-digit losses. Do I think we'll get our second road win in the toughest arena in the league (and one of the toughest anywhere) against the No. 1 team in the country? No, of course not. I will say I am looking forward to GU's visit to Santa Clara with a little more optimism for a win.

Still, even if SCU drops the remaining GU x2, SMC x1 and BYU x1 (we seem them only once this year), and avoid more than one other WCC loss, this squad likely heads to the NIT. That would be the first NIT/NCAA bid since Steve Nash roamed the back court. With the new athletic practice facility nearing completion, some on the court results could help Sendek swing recruiting into a more competitive direction.

With no seniors on the roster, this "stepping stone" type season is proving to be exactly that so far.

Looking forward to the game, hoping your players, like your posters, are already looking ahead to BYU

Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post

In Broncoland, most are satisfied with the progress this season. While the 15 wins thus far have come against largely cupcakes at home, there are two Pac-12 wins in there (WSU, Cal) and, for the first time in what feels like forever, no absolute clunker losses to OOC opponents who will finish the year in the 200+ RPI category. Santa Clara has had trouble doing that since before Kerry Keating. Having won only 16 games last year in total, the numerical progress is evident.

The win at SMC restored some enthusiasm after a flat performance against USF. Prior to SMC, all three true road games had been double-digit losses. Do I think we'll get our second road win in the toughest arena in the league (and one of the toughest anywhere) against the No. 1 team in the country? No, of course not. I will say I am looking forward to GU's visit to Santa Clara with a little more optimism for a win.

Still, even if SCU drops the remaining GU x2, SMC x1 and BYU x1 (we seem them only once this year), and avoid more than one other WCC loss, this squad likely heads to the NIT. That would be the first NIT/NCAA bid since Steve Nash roamed the back court. With the new athletic practice facility nearing completion, some on the court results could help Sendek swing recruiting into a more competitive direction.

With no seniors on the roster, this "stepping stone" type season is proving to be exactly that so far.

Looking forward to the game, hoping your players, like your posters, are already looking ahead to BYU
    Thanks for coming by... don't feel you have to do it only once a year... respectful fans like yourself are always welcome. Can't speak for the team, but I can tell you that based on the WCC games the Zags have played so far, nobody here is looking past anyone this year.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I'm really glad to hear about so many encouraging signs for SCU. Big Up to the whole league (except BYU; kidding; sorta).

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Can't speak for the team, but I can tell you that based on the WCC games the Zags have played so far, nobody here is looking past anyone this year.
    I had initially drafted my comment as a response to the thread called something like "looking forward to this week, SCU & BYU", wherein almost all the comments are about Yoeli Childs, his finger, and various other BYU stuff... my little jibe doesn't make as much sense in this thread!

I have no doubt Mark Few will have his team absolutely ready to play. I've rarely seen anything different.

I stop by, without commenting, quite frequently, because the "games of fill-in-the-blank the day thread" on here is like a one-stop shop to see the WCC and other ranked and interesting games! I really appreciate whoever puts that together!

Gu 87 - 63

Gonzaga 85
    Santa Clara 73

GU 90
    SC 80

I appreciate your post as it gives us a different perspective on SCU and the WCC in general. Would be great if Broncos got into the NIT this spring (with this caveat: "despite 2 losses to Zags during regular season play"). Looking forward to watching Thursday's game!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    I appreciate your post as it gives us a different perspective on SCU and the WCC in general. Would be great if Broncos got into the NIT this spring (with this caveat: "despite 2 losses to Zags during regular season play"). Looking forward to watching Thursday's game!

Having been to (and won) the CIT and CBI with no real edifying effect on the program, I think the NIT is the baseline for a successful season for us.

Sendek, in three stops prior to SCU, made the NIT or NCAAs in 18 of 22 years. So the man knows how to get there.

In the early years of Coach Few, prior to the emergence of Randy Bennett and SMC in the mid 2000s, the GU-SCU game used to be one of the more interesting games of the year in the league.

It's been a painful walk through the desert. Here's to hoping we begin to provide to the league the amount of value we have to potential to provide.

I once attended a game between SCU and GU in Spokane, and stayed at the Davenport hotel. Wonderful experience.

Having been to (and won) the CIT and CBI with no real edifying effect on the program, I think the NIT is the baseline for a successful season for us.

Sendek, in three stops prior to SCU, made the NIT or NCAAs in 18 of 22 years. So the man knows how to get there.

In the early years of Coach Few, prior to the emergence of Randy Bennett and SMC in the mid 2000s, the GU-SCU game used to be one of the more interesting games of the year in the league.

It's been a painful walk through the desert. Here's to hoping we begin to provide to the league the amount of value we have to potential to provide.

I once attended a game between SCU and GU in Spokane, and stayed at the Davenport hotel. Wonderful experience.
    Yes indeed... Danny "Frickin" Pariseau... The Broncos used to bring it...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

This year every team in the WCC is going to play us like it’s their March Madness. The Broncos can be scrappy, and tough. My prediction is Gonzaga wins 92-64. But I could see a scenario that has us winning by a bucket or 2. It’s a weird, fun year and I am enjoying each game. Go Zags!

Us 85
    Them 72

Zags 81- 72

Go Zags ! Beat the Broncos.
    GU - 84 SCU - 73

Gonzaga 92
    Santa Clara 60

I believe Gonzaga is going to show why they are #1 this week beginning with tomorrow's game with Santa Clara.
    Hoping to see the score reflecting that opinion.
    Hoping to see the Zags make 10 or more three's.
    Hoping to see tough defense for 40 minutes. It's time for the team's defense to start showing why I believe it's good.

Hoping to see less than 12 turn overs.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I for one noted last season that SCU was going to be a much better team this season...they had some excellent freshmen and were a very young team...I think you will beat SMC at home lose to BYU as that team with a healthy Childs is going to be really tough...and it's possible, not probable that SCU beats us at your house...SCU just needs to maintain focus and believe in themselves and make the semi-finals in Vegas and they will be a shoe in for the NIT

I just don't see SCU having an excellent game in the hostile Kennel...

Oh, thanks for coming by and hope you visit and comment more often!!!

GO ZAGS!!!

Some clever wording from article dated Jan 13, 2020 in Universe Sports by Sydney Fleming (link below) :

"BYU is set to take on challenging opponents closer to the two-week mark of Childs injury. If the recovery time is closer to two weeks, BYU will be Childs-less against San Diego (7-12), No. 1 Gonzaga (18-1) and Pacific (14-5)."

https://universe.byu.edu/2020/01/13/...missing-piece/
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Yes indeed... Danny "Frickin" Pariseau... The Broncos used to bring it...

Go!! Zags!!!
    It was the SCU fans that spawned the legend of "The Stache", with a plethora of moustache signs that greeted Ammo. Following that game, these shirts were on sale:

I still have mine.

Zags 86
    Broncs 68
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

GU 84
    SCU 70
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

ZAGS 87-70

I love it when good fans come by.

Do not think it should just be a once a year thing.

Be a proud Bronco and just share your observations on anything, same rules for us, you'll become just one of the regulars.

Zags 88
    SCU 74
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Perfect night for a late tipoff. My son's football banquet is tomorrow night.

Zags 79
    SCU 63
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus