Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GU vs Santa Clara - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Yes I do remember. It was a "big time" for us. I was so excited. I had never been to California and this was like a dream come true for me. I rarely got out of Yakima as KId growing up. I remember how different Santa Clara's gym was. It was like no other. I think it had a balcony, and was really old and kind of classic looking like something I imagined in Europe. hahaha I do remember getting spanked and was disappointed. I really hated losing, even back then. I never took a loss very well, even to a team as good as Santa Clara was. But all in all it was an honor to play them there.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jose_Civic

This is where it would have been! It is actually a local arena and theater. SCU didn't move on campus until 1975...

Famously, the fans in the balcony couldn't see the scoreboard, so the PA announcer read the score at the end of every minute.

Yes I do remember. It was a "big time" for us. I was so excited. I had never been to California and this was like a dream come true for me. I rarely got out of Yakima as KId growing up. I remember how different Santa Clara's gym was. It was like no other. I think it had a balcony, and was really old and kind of classic looking like something I imagined in Europe. hahaha I do remember getting spanked and was disappointed. I really hated losing, even back then. I never took a loss very well, even to a team as good as Santa Clara was. But all in all it was an honor to play them there.
    You should share more of these stories, Reborn.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

I have come to this conclusion. The Zags at the Kennel vs the Zags on the road or at a neutral court are two different animals.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    You should share more of these stories, Reborn.
    Thanks for that but overall I never wanted people to know that I ever played for Gonzaga. I managed that for a number of years but it finally got out. My feelings are that a lot of people would prefer I never talk about being a Zag, and on the few times that I have someone always calls me out for having a big head and ego maniac, or think I know more. I'd just as soon change my name. And just be a great fan. However, every knows who I am now, or at least those who want to know; so I do feel free to share when I am asked. Like I was asked in this case. I was glad I was asked because the arena was sooooo cool to play in because so different, and Santa Clara was big time basketball back in those days.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I have come to this conclusion. The Zags at the Kennel vs the Zags on the road or at a neutral court are two different animals.
    Wow! You really figured that out. Whew!!! Thanks. hahaha haha

Go Zags!!!

Wow reborn. Beating the drum one post and dropping the mike the next. Just poking fun

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for that but overall I never wanted people to know that I ever played for Gonzaga. I managed that for a number of years but it finally got out. My feelings are that a lot of people would prefer I never talk about being a Zag, and on the few times that I have someone always calls me out for having a big head and ego maniac, or think I know more. I'd just as soon change my name. And just be a great fan. However, every knows who I am now, or at least those who want to know; so I do feel free to share when I am asked. Like I was asked in this case. I was glad I was asked because the arena was sooooo cool to play in because so different, and Santa Clara was big time basketball back in those days.
    I’m disappointed to hear that. I really appreciate the unique perspective you bring regarding our university’s history and your experiences as a student athlete.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I’m disappointed to hear that. I really appreciate the unique perspective you bring regarding our university’s history and your experiences as a student athlete.
    Thanks. What a nice message to wake up to. As you know, I really enjoy being a Zag fan and part of a great basketball community called ZagNation. At age 72, it's a nice to be able to look back at my life and remember what it was like to wear a Zag uniform. But honestly, even more, I'm so proud to be a Gonzaga graduate. I love Gonzaga so much. Being a student there was really a very, very special time of my life. Anyone who ever went there knows what I mean.

Go Zags!!!

Thanks. What a nice message to wake up to. As you know, I really enjoy being a Zag fan and part of a great basketball community called ZagNation. At age 72, it's a nice to be able to look back at my life and remember what it was like to wear a Zag uniform. But honestly, even more, I'm so proud to be a Gonzaga graduate. I love Gonzaga so much. Being a student there was really a very, very special time of my life. Anyone who ever went there knows what I mean.

Go Zags!!!
    Keep telling those stories, Bornie! Mine usually receive the "rolling the eyes" treatment when I tell them. lol

The coffee tasted better than ever this morning, have nearly shed the flu. It helped that I drank from my recent Christmas cup from Big D, his mom killed it with the pictures: Big D & Killian, Big D & Corey (both at Texas A&M), 3 of us doing the "Rocky" thing in Philly, to name 3.

The great thing IMO about the A&M game was seeing family and parents of newcomers getting up close and personal with Zag alums from all eras. It's impossible not to notice the regard and affection in which we hold our alma mater. There's just something about that campus that seeps into your soul.

Reading posts about how happy our players are on campus are touching. I remember the smile Rui had on his face while riding his bicycle on campus two summers ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Keep telling those stories, Bornie! Mine usually receive the "rolling the eyes" treatment when I tell them. lol

The coffee tasted better than ever this morning, have nearly shed the flu. It helped that I drank from my recent Christmas cup from Big D, his mom killed it with the pictures: Big D & Killian, Big D & Corey (both at Texas A&M), 3 of us doing the "Rocky" thing in Philly, to name 3.

The great thing IMO about the A&M game was seeing family and parents of newcomers getting up close and personal with Zag alums from all eras. It's impossible not to notice the regard and affection in which we hold our alma mater. There's just something about that campus that seeps into your soul.

Reading posts about how happy our players are on campus are touching. I remember the smile Rui had on his face while riding his bicycle on campus two summers ago.

Wait... you can see my eyes rolling from your stories Tex???
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

While I have known for a long time... I always wished you shared more. Think it would be a great perspective that many on this board don't have.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Wait... you can see my eyes rolling from your stories Tex???
    It's a sixth sense of mine. lol

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    While I have known for a long time... I always wished you shared more. Think it would be a great perspective that many on this board don't have.
    Thanks LIZF. It means a lot to me, especially since we've known each other here on the Board for such a long time. We go wayyyy back.