Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMU Win: Post Game Thoughts, Observations, and Media

Default LMU Win: Post Game Thoughts, Observations, and Media

Zags sweep the SoCal road trip.

What are your takeaways from the trip and today's victory over LMU ?

Oy.

Workman-like, very little flair.

Couldn't hit an outside shot for most the first half, fought through it.

Just sort of stable, get the win and go home, type of thing, where not a lot stood out.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default Gonzaga 87 LMU 62

Although Gonzaga won by 25, I found that this was a real good game. LMU was very big (muscular), and looked kind of like football players. And they played us tough the whole game. This was probably the most physical game for the Zags, and that was good I think. Gonzaga handled this physicality really well imo. ALSO LMU had a really good player (Scott) who scored 20 points on 9-13 shooting. I enjoyed watching him play.

I thought Woolridge played great. His ability to dribble through their toughness and either score or dish off for points was very nice. He's not all that big, but my God he is tough, and talented with alot of speed and quickness. He's very difficult to contain. AND by the way, he got 6 rebounds. Pretty good for someone not too big. I thought Timme played really well too off the bench (10 points and 11 rebounds and 2 blocks). He was the one guy who was doing his best to guard Scott. I enjoyed their battle. Timme showed his toughness for sure. He's a great bench player imo. ALSO, speaking of bench players, Gilder managed to create a very good game off the bench also, scoring 12 points as he hit 2-4 from beyond the arc. HIs 3 pointers were very nice because Gonzaga was having a difficult time shooting threes the first half, and Gilders 3's were very nice. Gonzaga ended up making 8 threes as they hit some nice ones in the last 10 min of the game. Tillie hit two nice ones and Graves got another giving him 2 threes on this road trip.

Kispert played a great game scoring 16 points and just showing his leadership and patience. To start the game he was off from the 3 point line but changed his game and started driving and scoring in other ways. And he ended up shooting 2-4 from behind the arc and 6-10 for the game. HE's also a very good passer and seems to have the ball in his hands a lot making good passes.

I enjoyed the game mostly because LMU played really tough the whole game and never backed down. They were very physical. I liked it also because of how well Gonzaga handled that physicality. Gonzaga has a really potent offense. No big stars, but 8 guys who ARE really talented and who play together really well.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 01-11-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I think this team might bring Rolaids back to the shelfs at the FT line!. Hard to get any rythm tonight.
    I did think LMU did a great job of traping with speed.
    GU wasn't going to win any beauty contests tonight but the bottom line was good and that's all that really matters.

Woolridge was really good overall. One of our best PG's we have had here, not to mention hes also playing at about 75% on one leg.

Timme battled throughout.

Rest was very pedestrian, low energy, coasting, bad habit inducing

LMU is awful!I. I hope Watson didn’t reinjure his arm. Drew is getting much better. Our FT shooting is impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    I think this team might bring Rolaids back to the shelfs at the FT line!. Hard to get any rythm tonight.
    I did think LMU did a great job of traping with speed.
    GU wasn't going to win any beauty contests tonight but the bottom line was good and that's all that really matters.
    Petrusev was knocking down his free throws later in the game. Just shows how improvements can be made with all of the practice he had during the game!

Got the job done, seemed to lack intensity. FTs will lose us a Cpl games its driving me batty!

I want to see more Arlauskas, the kid plays hard. Timme is always working I love that about him. Watson is frustrating to follow just because hes battling through dings and injuries, I really hope we can get him back full strength.
    America's Team!

LMU had Thursday off, playing at home. Lose by 25.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Very good.....any news on Watson?

Ho Hum............................Roll the ball out, play for 40 minutes, get on the plane, come home.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    LMU is awful!I. I hope Watson didn’t reinjure his arm. Drew is getting much better. Our FT shooting is impossible!
    He's had ONE, yes one game since A&M he hasn't reinjured his shoulder.

Reckless mgmt of this injury imo

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Default Associated Press Wire Story

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401175242

There were two areas of improvement that Few was particularly pleased about: they turned it over only nine times and held Loyola Marymount to 38.6% shooting from the floor (22 of 57).

Eli Scott paced Loyola Marymount (7-10, 1-2) with 20 points, and Ivan Alpiev scored 11.

"I thought we did a good job once we got them into half court, but they did a great job in transition off our misses and turnovers," LMU coach Mike Dunlap said.
    Team Stats: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401175242

Spokesman-Review : "3 Keys To Victory" feature: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...e-bulldogs-vi/

Includes Photo Gallery

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Jim Meehan's Game Story: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...lly-its-offen/

Watson was off to a nice start with a rebound, an assist and a steal but he absorbed a hard foul while finishing a layup. His left shoulder popped out of place, a recurring problem that began Nov. 15 against Texas A&M, and he sat out the remainder of the game.

Timme looked great. Love his energy and intensity. Nice seeing Kispert be leading scorer. As others have said, a workmanlike road victory for Zags. Not very pretty but heading home w the W.

I am concerned about Watson. He fell hard into the basket stanchion w left shoulder taking a direct hit and did not return to the game. No insider info whatsoever yet common sense tells me dude should shut it down get it fixed and start rehabbing for next season. It’s getting ridiculous watching him injure it again and again. Arlauskas seems capable of providing 7-10 minutes so starters can rest.

Woolridge knee looks to be bothering him quite a bit again. If he goes down Zags suddenly very vulnerable.

Eggshells. Big week ahead!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I loved how Marty went coast to coast near the end of the game and scored. He is one of my favorite Zags, but he never gets decent playing time.
    UNITED WE ZAG, BAY-BEE, UNITED WE ZAG

I kinda figure that when he grabbed his left wrist to stabilize his shoulder. Damn! He's such a good kid and player.

It’s also ridiculous that the NCAA doesn’t do anything about the mid-air body checks.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Timme looked great. Love his energy and intensity. Nice seeing Kispert be leading scorer. As others have said, a workmanlike road victory for Zags. Not very pretty but heading home w the W.

I am concerned about Watson. He fell hard into the basket stanchion w left shoulder taking a direct hit and did not return to the game. No insider info whatsoever yet common sense tells me dude should shut it down get it fixed and start rehabbing for next season. It’s getting ridiculous watching him injure it again and again. Arlauskas seems capable of providing 7-10 minutes so starters can rest.

Woolridge knee looks to be bothering him quite a bit again. If he goes down Zags suddenly very vulnerable.

Eggshells. Big week ahead!

It is too bad Anton hurt his shoulder again - tough fall. Just when it seems he was starting to get comfortable with his offense a little bit the last few games. Hope he can either come back strong, or, like some have suggested, get that shoulder fixed and start looking toward next season.

Agree with those above who are impressed with Woolridge - Watching him limp a little bit today, I started to think how badly this team would miss him if he gets injured. I think it would catastrophic for their tournament hopes if he's not playing in March.

Well, LMU did a good job, at times, funneling the Zags into the baseline corner (and vicinity) and trapping them. That might be something they see down the road and this will hopefully help them if someone deploys this strategy down the road.

Regarding Watson from Krem 2 Sports:

Karthik Venkataraman
    @KREMKarthik
    · 1h
    Just confirmed from Gonzaga men’s basketball that Anton Watson re-injured his shoulder again on that and one he took a spill on. I was not given a timetable on his return.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    He's had ONE, yes one game since A&M he hasn't reinjured his shoulder.

Reckless mgmt of this injury imo
    Time for Arlauskas. Seriously feel like with all the nagging injuries we need to be getting him more minutes. Love how hard he plays. Most be something with Lithuania and high motor players.