Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BYU vs SMC

Default BYU vs SMC

Did any of you watch the BYU vs SMC @ SMC game Thursday PM after the GU game?

I taped that game and watched the second half as the first half's video was all garbled. Childs didn't play for SMC and the Gaels won in OT.

What are your thoughts on the game?

Does BYU, with a healthy Childs, easily beat SMC?

Which of those two teams is the better match-up for GU?

They good...BYU a little better with Childs, TJ and Toolson.....weak on defense......

BYU is tougher with Childs. However, without Child’s, SMC is the better team.

I'll be honest ... I'm glad both of them now has an "L" as part of their conference record. Also glad the Zags don't visit Stockton. This WCC is NOT going to be easy ...

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I think that even with Childs, lack of depth will make it hard for BYU against the Zags and in the tournament, if they get there. TJ Haws (who reminds me of the dad from That Seventies Show, fwiw) is somewhat streaky but he can make it difficult for anybody when on (you could say that for just about any team with a really good scorer, I suppose). Ford looks as fast as ever and the matchup with Woolridge will be fun to watch. I'm not as worried about either team as I have been in years past because I think the talent gap continues to grow. However, per usual, the Zags will have to play hard and follow the scouting report/game plan to beat either team, I think. These are going to be 4 games that the Zags are supposed to win, in my mind, and that hasn't always been the case.

BYU played toe to toe with Saint Mary's in Moraga without their best player. SMC might be the 4th best team in the conference this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    TJ Haws (who reminds me of the dad from That Seventies Show, fwiw)
    exactly! spittin' image of Red Forman. always cracks me up when I watch him play.

I give BYU the clear edge over St Mary's when Yoeli Childs plays. Honestly, while this last game was quite entertaining to watch, I wasn't overly impressed with either team. Zags likely will sweep all 4 of these games, but the one in Provo should be a real donnybrook. (Alexa: Where does the term "Donnybrook" come from?)
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I watched it. Both very good teams. I do think it'll be hard for us to beat each twice and then one of them again in the WCC tournament (5 very tough games to win). Joey Brackets was in the booth and he commented that WCC is a 3 bid league due to those two teams being so good.

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    BYU played toe to toe with Saint Mary's in Moraga without their best player. SMC might be the 4th best team in the conference this year.
    Let's put the "injuries" into perspective: SMC lost its #1 Center before WCC action started. Pacific lost its #1 PG (and#2 scorer) before WCC action started. Both still out. Santa Clara lost one of its Big men.... So basically, BYU and SMC were going toe to toe without their #1 Big Guy.

BYU looks like a Top 20 team to me.

Everytime I watch them, I am impressed.

They haven't had Childs for 10 games this season, and still beat Top 35 teams.

With Childs available all season, they likely have 1 loss, and Top 15.

They did lose to Utah in OT during Childs 1st game game back.

Understand previous poster putting inuries into perspective, yet comparing Childs and Tass isnt remotely the same.

Tass was on again, off again starter, averaged 5 & 3, Childs was borderline NBA guy who averages 21 & 10, a double double and the top.scoring center in college hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    Let's put the "injuries" into perspective: SMC lost its #1 Center before WCC action started. Pacific lost its #1 PG (and#2 scorer) before WCC action started. Both still out. Santa Clara lost one of its Big men.... So basically, BYU and SMC were going toe to toe without their #1 Big Guy.
    Yes, but Tass averaged 6 points and 3 boards a game. Childs averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds, while shooting 62 percent! Childs is irreplaceable.
    Last edited by ZagsObserver; 01-11-2020 at 01:03 PM.

I think some have gotten too used to going through conference undefeated.

Yes, the talent gap widens each year we're top 10, top 5.

Even though we're better, and better, there is still far more competitiveness throughout the league. All teams have off nights, this team has already had 2 in weird situations.

Eventually we're going to get an "L" hung on us, and I see some dangerous teams out there.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

This is just my opinion...BYU is the better team and if Childs played Thursday PM, BYU wins that game even if Tass plays.

I don't think SMC matches up well against us BUT BYU with a healthy Childs will make the game really interesting in Spokane and don't know if we can win at Provo...

GU should win both against vs SMC and again in WCC Tournament BUT vs BYU we could have two loses - one in Provo and Vegas.

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I think some have gotten too used to going through conference undefeated.
    Eventually we're going to get an "L" hung on us, and I see some dangerous teams out there.
    Who are those dangerous teams?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

FWIW, I thought it was awesome that they both wore their dark colors.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    [B][U]

I don't think SMC matches up well against us BUT BYU with a healthy Childs will make the game really interesting in Spokane and don't know if we can win at Provo...
    A healthy Childs in Spokane? Hardly. When he dislocated the index finger of his shooting hand in practice, the bone came through the skin. Mark Pope is being wishful or misleading when he says Childs will be fine. Highly doubt he'll play Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I watched it. Both very good teams. I do think it'll be hard for us to beat each twice and then one of them again in the WCC tournament (5 very tough games to win). Joey Brackets was in the booth and he commented that WCC is a 3 bid league due to those two teams being so good.
    Hopefully they get 3 bids but with St. Mary's dropping one to Pacific and now Santa Clara, is Santa Clara going to be the 3rd team? It is starting to look like the league is cannibalizing itself.

The league is very entertaining …..very competitive …..

Better coaching than 5 y ago

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    A healthy Childs in Spokane? Hardly. When he dislocated the index finger of his shooting hand in practice, the bone came through the skin. Mark Pope is being wishful or misleading when he says Childs will be fine. Highly doubt he'll play Saturday.
    When Childs returns to play, NOW I believe they may only have one loss the rest of the season after this Saturday’s game at GU...

There was a post saying BYU would be top 10-25 if Childs was health and believe that would be the case...Pope has them playing defence and with a healthy Childs, they have an inside presence, which will open the floor for outside shots...I like what Pope has done with this team in his first year...BTW most of BYU’s players were recruited by Pope...

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    You’re forgetting SMC’s starting 5 is out for the season too.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    You’re forgetting SMC’s starting 5 is out for the season too.
    No, have not forgotten...can’t think Tass is equal to Child’s...IMO if both teams were at full strength BYU wins by double digits...SMC will not finish in the top three...SMC could well lose at Pepperdine this week and have three conference losses

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Who are those dangerous teams?
    I think USF is dangerous. They have a lot of guys that are pretty good. USF can play 9-10deep. They shoot 3's and if open can shoot high percentage. Don's have fast guards and upperclassmen take up the bulk of min. They have 5-6 guys 6"8 or taller mostly finesse bigs besides Lull at 7'0. They cant match GU talent but they hit open 3's and besides Michigan no team has shot the 3 ball that well aginst us, there have been plenty of open ones. They have lots of fouls to give to challenge our FT shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    I think USF is dangerous. They have a lot of guys that are pretty good. USF can play 9-10deep. They shoot 3's and if open can shoot high percentage. Don's have fast guards and upperclassmen take up the bulk of min. They have 5-6 guys 6"8 or taller mostly finesse bigs besides Lull at 7'0. They cant match GU talent but they hit open 3's and besides Michigan no team has shot the 3 ball that well aginst us, there have been plenty of open ones. They have lots of fouls to give to challenge our FT shooting.
    The same team scored 58 points at home to smc in double digit loss?m and shooting 35% from 3 in season?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few