• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

BYU vs SMC

Did any of you watch the BYU vs SMC @ SMC game Thursday PM after the GU game?

I taped that game and watched the second half as the first half's video was all garbled. Childs didn't play for SMC and the Gaels won in OT.

What are your thoughts on the game?

Does BYU, with a healthy Childs, easily beat SMC?

Which of those two teams is the better match-up for GU?
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

They good...BYU a little better with Childs, TJ and Toolson.....weak on defense......

Comment

• ZagsObserver
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

BYU is tougher with Childs. However, without Child’s, SMC is the better team.

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I'll be honest ... I'm glad both of them now has an "L" as part of their conference record. Also glad the Zags don't visit Stockton. This WCC is NOT going to be easy ...
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

I think that even with Childs, lack of depth will make it hard for BYU against the Zags and in the tournament, if they get there. TJ Haws (who reminds me of the dad from That Seventies Show, fwiw) is somewhat streaky but he can make it difficult for anybody when on (you could say that for just about any team with a really good scorer, I suppose). Ford looks as fast as ever and the matchup with Woolridge will be fun to watch. I'm not as worried about either team as I have been in years past because I think the talent gap continues to grow. However, per usual, the Zags will have to play hard and follow the scouting report/game plan to beat either team, I think. These are going to be 4 games that the Zags are supposed to win, in my mind, and that hasn't always been the case.

Comment

• jpn17
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Dec 2011

BYU played toe to toe with Saint Mary's in Moraga without their best player. SMC might be the 4th best team in the conference this year.

Comment

• ZenZag
              Kennel Club Material
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
              TJ Haws (who reminds me of the dad from That Seventies Show, fwiw)
              exactly! spittin' image of Red Forman. always cracks me up when I watch him play.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2011

I give BYU the clear edge over St Mary's when Yoeli Childs plays. Honestly, while this last game was quite entertaining to watch, I wasn't overly impressed with either team. Zags likely will sweep all 4 of these games, but the one in Provo should be a real donnybrook. (Alexa: Where does the term "Donnybrook" come from?)
                "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I watched it. Both very good teams. I do think it'll be hard for us to beat each twice and then one of them again in the WCC tournament (5 very tough games to win). Joey Brackets was in the booth and he commented that WCC is a 3 bid league due to those two teams being so good.

Comment

• Kemo 1966
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jpn17 View Post
                    BYU played toe to toe with Saint Mary's in Moraga without their best player. SMC might be the 4th best team in the conference this year.
                    Let's put the "injuries" into perspective: SMC lost its #1 Center before WCC action started. Pacific lost its #1 PG (and#2 scorer) before WCC action started. Both still out. Santa Clara lost one of its Big men.... So basically, BYU and SMC were going toe to toe without their #1 Big Guy.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2007

BYU looks like a Top 20 team to me.

Everytime I watch them, I am impressed.

They haven't had Childs for 10 games this season, and still beat Top 35 teams.

With Childs available all season, they likely have 1 loss, and Top 15.

They did lose to Utah in OT during Childs 1st game game back.

Understand previous poster putting inuries into perspective, yet comparing Childs and Tass isnt remotely the same.

Tass was on again, off again starter, averaged 5 & 3, Childs was borderline NBA guy who averages 21 & 10, a double double and the top.scoring center in college hoops.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
                        Let's put the "injuries" into perspective: SMC lost its #1 Center before WCC action started. Pacific lost its #1 PG (and#2 scorer) before WCC action started. Both still out. Santa Clara lost one of its Big men.... So basically, BYU and SMC were going toe to toe without their #1 Big Guy.
                        Yes, but Tass averaged 6 points and 3 boards a game. Childs averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds, while shooting 62 percent! Childs is irreplaceable.
                        Last edited by ZagsObserver; 01-11-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

I think some have gotten too used to going through conference undefeated.

Yes, the talent gap widens each year we're top 10, top 5.

Even though we're better, and better, there is still far more competitiveness throughout the league. All teams have off nights, this team has already had 2 in weird situations.

Eventually we're going to get an "L" hung on us, and I see some dangerous teams out there.
                          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bogozags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2008

This is just my opinion...BYU is the better team and if Childs played Thursday PM, BYU wins that game even if Tass plays.

I don't think SMC matches up well against us BUT BYU with a healthy Childs will make the game really interesting in Spokane and don't know if we can win at Provo...

GU should win both against vs SMC and again in WCC Tournament BUT vs BYU we could have two loses - one in Provo and Vegas.

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• Reborn
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                              I think some have gotten too used to going through conference undefeated.
                              Eventually we're going to get an "L" hung on us, and I see some dangerous teams out there.
                              Who are those dangerous teams?
                              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X