Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gilder Jr.

Default Gilder Jr.

I have only seen short clips from Gilder’s time at Texas A&M and I was just curious if he looks close to the player he was at A&M. Or should we possibly expect to see continued improvement as the season goes on still?

In my view, I think Woolridge has far exceeded my expectations and Gilder has not been the player I thought he was going to be.

I would love to hear thoughts.

I did not see him play at A&M. However, i think he's doing great. I really do. He scores in double figures most games. It's pretty awesome to have a guy like him come in off the bench. He does for this team off the bench what Collins did for the '17 team. AND I'M NOT SAYING HE'S AS GOOD AS COLLINS, OR THAT HE'LL BE IN THE NBA. I just think he brings points off the bench and good defense, and a lot of experience and confidence at this level.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Gilder has had some flashes were he has been terrific, but pretty inconsistent overall.

Did miss all of last year though & has been banged up this year, so still giving him the benefit of the doubt.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Half of his shots are taken out of the flow of the offense. Hurried. Like he’s trying to catch a bus that’s left the station. But like Jordan Mathews he’s the leading candidate to win a tourney game with a clutch if crazy shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Half of his shots are taken out of the flow of the offense. Hurried. Like he’s trying to catch a bus that’s left the station. But like Jordan Mathews he’s the leading candidate to win a tourney game with a clutch if crazy shot.
    he has a crazy quick release even when he's wide open...i guess it helps to be able to get your shot off quickly, but he takes it to the extreme...did he shoot the same way while in aggie-land???

Going into the season, I heard that Gilder was a very good defensive guard who could score. I still think that is correct. The injury really disrupted his improvement in my opinion, and I think he will get better and better as the season goes on.

With his combination of height and size, he should be able to get a shot off against just about any other guard that defends him. That could pay dividends down the road. Right now, he is not a consistent enough player to be a go-to scorer. His defense has been good.

I think he's been a disappointment relative to his sophomore and junior years at A&M and the expectations on him from knowledgeable posters. He seems like a great guy, so Reborn please don't waste time attacking me for making this personal.

Before the season, some folks connected to the program or watching practices suggested he could lead the team in minutes and scoring, and would be, in some ways, a NWG-style physical lead guard. It may have been caldwell, but I don't recall.

I agree with Jazz that many of his shots seem poorly chosen and not within the flow of offense. I notice this especially on his drives to the rim amid traffic leading to not-even-close teardrops or contested 2s.

Look at the dropoff in FT%, 3pt%, and especially 2pt%:

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I think he's been a disappointment relative to his sophomore and junior years at A&M and the expectations on him from knowledgeable posters. He seems like a great guy, so Reborn please don't waste time attacking me for making this personal.

Before the season, some folks connected to the program or watching practices suggested he could lead the team in minutes and scoring, and would be, in some ways, a NWG-style physical lead guard. It may have been caldwell, but I don't recall.

I agree with Jazz that many of his shots seem poorly chosen and not within the flow of offense. I notice this especially on his drives to the rim amid traffic leading to not-even-close teardrops or contested 2s.

Look at the dropoff in FT%, 3pt%, and especially 2pt%:

He hasn't really dropped off offensively at all. His 3pt percentage drop is barely lower on more attempts per 40. His FT percentage is in the ball park. His two point percentage has really dropped off. He really seems to struggle to finish. I don't know if that is injury or just that we tend to always play with a big near the hoop which can clog up the lane, but he is consistently launching tear drops instead of finishing through contact. My biggest concern has been his defense. He has shown a large statistical drop off, and that passes the eye test as well. He doesn't seem to always understand our defensive scheme. The reason I think his finishing may be injury related is that he had an awesome dunk earlier this season and I haven't seen one since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    He hasn't really dropped off offensively at all. ...[3sentences later]... His two point percentage has really dropped off.
    Those account for more than half his shots.

The worse 2pt % (on more attempts) is really driving that big dropoff in effective field goal and true shooting percentages. Those kinds of unselective/forced attempts in the 5-15' range are classically bad shots in general yet he's taking more of them, and missing them. GU has enough weapons and capable passers to make it hard to justify taking those VS higher percentage options.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I think he's been a disappointment relative to his sophomore and junior years at A&M and the expectations on him from knowledgeable posters.
    He has been playing on one good leg since losing his battle with the slippery floor in the Bahamas (the same slippery floor that cost UNC Cole Anthony).

I'm flat out thrilled that Admon is tough enough to contribute as much as he has recently .... and am hopeful of his health continuing to improve so that the Gilder we see the last 5-6 games of the season is the same Gilder we saw in the first 5-6 games this season.

But please ... don't let me stop you from posting meaningless comparisons of what a healthy, two legged Admon Gilder could do vs this year's version.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    But please ... don't let me stop you from posting meaningless comparisons of what a healthy, two legged Admon Gilder could do vs this year's version.
    I'd also like to point out that Watson hasn't been doing much with his left hand. Just saying.

Bottom line, his odd shot selection doesn’t seem to faze Few one bit, so there’s more there than meets the stats. We’ve seen him on fire. It’s a good look. And as I posted, he’s the #1 candidate to win a tourney game with a clutch shot.

I am super glad we have him. If we had to grade him and Woolridge compared to expectations, I would give Admon a B- and Woolridge an A+.
    Last edited by Ladyzag12; 01-10-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I am super glad we have him. If we had to grade him and Woolridge compared to expectations, I would give Admon a B- and Woolrdige an A+.
    Agree, LZ. Compared to expectations.

BTW I was one of the folks singing Admon's praises late summer/early fall. And I agree with Jazz ... there's a very good chance Admon can be a difference maker in some upcoming "meaningful" games .... i.e. games that allow the Zags to survive and advance.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Agree, LZ. Compared to expectations.

BTW I was one of the folks singing Admon's praises late summer/early fall. And I agree with Jazz ... there's a very good chance Admon can be a difference maker in some upcoming "meaningful" games .... i.e. games that allow the Zags to survive and advance.
    I found this article while surfing the other day...a small, but important snapshot of what Admon brings to the table.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/12/3...t-games-decade

7. A Comeback for the Ages (March 20, 2016)

This is from right before Texas A&M's Admon Gilder grabbed a missed teammate’s shot and successfully put it back up, making the score Northern Iowa 69, A&M 59 with 33 seconds remaining. The Aggies’ win probability at this point, per kenpom.com, was 0.1%. The Panthers had the ball, and there was absolutely no reason to think the No. 11 seed wouldn’t be advancing on to the Sweet 16.

But then something incredible happened. Gilder stole the ball out of a timeout, and Danuel House made it an eight-point game with 26 seconds remaining. After another timeout, the Aggies put full-court pressure on the inbounder, then swarmed Paul Jesperson (the half-court hero of the Panthers’ first-round game) until his ill-advised pass turned into a Jalen Jones dunk. Twenty-two seconds to go, UNI by six.

After another turnover under its own basket, the cost for Northern Iowa was a cold-blooded three-pointer by House. Now up 69–66 with 19.7 seconds left, the Panthers were smart on the next inbounds, finding a wide open Klint Carlson down the floor to push their lead back to five. So Alex Caruso went to work on the other end, drawing a three-point play and converting at the line. With 12 seconds left, a lead that was 10 just 20 seconds ago had been whittled to two.

Still, Northern Iowa had a clear path to the win. It had the ball and a two-point lead, a scenario we see every day in college basketball, and more often than not the team with the lead survives. But with no timeouts remaining, the Aggies’ relentless pressure trapped Wes Washpun in the corner, and Gilder, realizing Washpun wanted to ping the ball off his leg, stepped out of the way, collected the ball and sent the game to overtime. Is it any wonder that just one OT wasn’t enough? After rallying again, Texas A&M pushed it to double overtime, where it ensured its improbable comeback would live on in legend with a 92–88 win.

Sheesh, what prompts these let's-go-negative posts, especially based on something as flimsy as undefined "expectations" (coming from a poster who has no basis for setting any "expectations" given an admission of little knowledge past or present about the player, the player's injury challenges/history, and the role the coaches have established for the player within the changing dynamics of who's available on the roster on a given night). I don't recall Mark Few or AG (or anyone directly involved in AG's transfer) creating "expectations" that AG's stats/contributions would be any greater than what we've seen to date.

[steps down from soapbox]

Couldn't be more happy/pleasantly surprised with how things have turned out and what AG has brought to the team. I don't recall anyone predicting that as of January 10, 2020 this year's team would be leading the nation in scoring average, have only lost 1 game, be projected as a likely #1 see in West Region, and #1 in both major polls. Oh, and have a half-dozen players averaging double figures.

Sheesh... best word for it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Sheesh, what prompts these let's-go-negative posts, especially based on something as flimsy as undefined "expectations" (coming from a poster who has no basis for setting any "expectations" given an admission of little knowledge past or present about the player, the player's injury challenges/history, and the role the coaches have established for the player within the changing dynamics of who's available on the roster on a given night). I don't recall Mark Few or AG (or anyone directly involved in AG's transfer) creating "expectations" that AG's stats/contributions would be any greater than what we've seen to date.

[steps down from soapbox]

Couldn't be more happy/pleasantly surprised with how things have turned out and what AG has brought to the team. I don't recall anyone predicting that as of January 10, 2020 this year's team would be leading the nation in scoring average, have only lost 1 game, be projected as a likely #1 see in West Region, and #1 in both major polls. Oh, and have a half-dozen players averaging double figures.
    Just my opinion, but the negativity comes from not appreciating the annual journey known as Gonzaga basketball.

I've never seen a game played at the Kennel, my viewings have been limited to road games within a day's drive of Dallas. The last ten years or so have blessed me and my family with incredible memories, in victory and defeat. For example, I had a great view of Mike Hart's screen that gave Gary Bell Jr. a clear shot for the dagger against Ok State.

Or, the game in Nashville that begat the legend of Big D, as he showcased his basketball talents at halftime.

Lately, it was the game at College Station. Not only did Big D finally meet his hero, Killian Tillie, but he met a number of other players. For me, it was so enjoyable talking to family members of our 3 Zags from the Lone Star State, all of whom were experiencing the family atmosphere of Gonzaga hoops. LOL, while Big D was getting a photo with Admon, his aunt insisted I get in the picture...she wouldn't take no for an answer.

And then there was Corey, who remembered the time he spent with my then 6 YO grandson after a long day at Zag camp two years ago. They had a nice chat among themselves, though Dillon didn't remember much, saying "we talked about...stuff."

Nope, you won't see any negativity from TZF.

Isn't the 3 pt line farther back as well?

Maybe those mid range shots were falling at A & M.

As his leg gets better, I think he will improve too.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

He has been playing on one good leg since losing his battle with the slippery floor in the Bahamas (the same slippery floor that cost UNC Cole Anthony).

I'm flat out thrilled that Admon is tough enough to contribute as much as he has recently .... and am hopeful of his health continuing to improve so that the Gilder we see the last 5-6 games of the season is the same Gilder we saw in the first 5-6 games this season.

Thanks for the health update! What is the nature of his leg injury from that tournament? Knee? Ankle?

HIPAA covers it LTown. LTown asks " Thanks for the health update! What is the nature of his leg injury from that tournament? Knee? Ankle?"

When I was back in Spokane in September...the one player I saw on campus twice... Admon. Both times he was walking and listening to music and seemed to really be loving life. That is as much as I needed to see. A kid just downright happy to be there.

Oh, and when I walked through the Kennel... he was shooting by himself on the court.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

This season has been beyond our wildest expectations. Therefore all of these players have playing beyond our wildest expectations.

Not sure how much higher you were looking after losing 4/5 starters to the NBA last season, but we are the #1 ranked team in the country.

Spoiled, this board by and large is SPOILED.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    This season has been beyond our wildest expectations. Therefore all of these players have playing beyond our wildest expectations.

Not sure how much higher you were looking after losing 4/5 starters to the NBA last season, but we are the #1 ranked team in the country.

Spoiled, this board by and large is SPOILED.
    Well stated and I agree
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few