Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gilder Jr.

I don't really enjoy people jumping down the OPs throat about a fairly innocuous post about expectations of a grad transfer. No one maligned his character, but just asked questions about what Gilder's previous play was like. I think the transition for Gilder may have been tougher than some expected, including myself, but he is a valuable member of this team and seems to contribute both on and off the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I don't really enjoy people jumping down the OPs throat about a fairly innocuous post about expectations of a grad transfer. No one maligned his character, but just asked questions about what Gilder's previous play was like. I think the transition for Gilder may have been tougher than some expected, including myself, but he is a valuable member of this team and seems to contribute both on and off the court.
    Agreed. He's had some reasons not to perform as we wanted. There's plenty of time to improve and I'm sure he will. Good kid. Good player.

MDA I also agree. It is interesting how before the season started and we were guessing our wins and losses many of our posters expected 3or 4 losses by now and were worried we would have a chance to make the dance. All of our new players have done a super job in becoming a team at both ends.

Gilder still is feeling the legg injury and is giving is 100 percent. Also he has had to learn the players around him and when he should attack versus when to feed another player or even shoot the 3. I think as the season keeps going we will see him and the rest of the team keep getting more confidence with their play. Thursday’s game showed that they listened to the coaches about their intensity on defense

Gilder seems like a great person who is very happy to be at GU. Unfortunately, the bar was set pretty high for him— that he was like Zach Norvell but a better defender and better shot selection— and the knee injury didn’t help. I think the OP is a fair question to ask, because it’s reasonable know if we should trust the hype that persons dish out in the future.

It has been mentioned before, but he not only had the knee injury this year, but I believe he hadn’t played for close to a year prior to that. He is just getting his legs under him literally and figuratively. I think he could be an very difficult guard to defend when he finally gets it going in the big, strong, physical way that Villanova’s excellent guard was.

He has exceeded my expectations Ö.been a extremely valuable addition to the team.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    He has exceeded my expectations ….been a extremely valuable addition to the team.....
    People around here had given me unrealistic expectations, which is my fault... That's not a negative against Gilder, but me. He I think he is looking better every game. I think of Tillie and how underwhelming he looked last year when trying to come back. Granted, he had the subsequent surgery, but he has just finally started to look like the player I remembered.

Ravet and Wade also met my expectations.... don't pay any attention to the hype.....I will get excited about Suggs if and when I see a few games...

I like grad transfers because they are a proven player.....Clarke vastly exceeded my expectations....

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Agree, LZ. Compared to expectations.

BTW I was one of the folks singing Admon's praises late summer/early fall. And I agree with Jazz ... there's a very good chance Admon can be a difference maker in some upcoming "meaningful" games .... i.e. games that allow the Zags to survive and advance.
    Just to refresh memories, Norvell in NCAA elimination games was 4-16 v FSU and 3-11 v TT. Gilder should be able to beat that.

i tallied Gilder's stats from the top 5 opponents (from KenPom) I did not use the Battle for Atlantis stats because I was there and he was clearly not 100%.
    In the 5 games vs. Texas A&M, UNC, Wash, Ariz, and Pepperdine he averaged 11 PPG on 25 minutes per game. He shot 17-41 (41%) overall but was 9-18 (50%) from the 3-line and 12-14 (86%) from the free throw line. He also averaged 4.4 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.2 steals, and only 1 TO per game. To me he is doing very well and will be an important contributor for the Zags as they make their run in March (and hopefully a few games in April)!!!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

The transfer bar was set very high by the likes of Goss and Mathews. Gilder isn't on that level, but he isn't a liability either.

To me, this is a rebuild/transition year and the team is doing much, much better than I expected. Especially with how it is perceived by the national media. There are a half dozen Zag squads in the last ten years that I would consider to be significantly better than this year's squad with the remainders at least slightly better. Kispert would not be the second best player on any of them. Then again, Tillie would not be healthy either. They are proving me wrong though. I'll pass final judgement after post season.
    I miss Mike Hart

since the Bahamas I have been reminded a lot of snacks when watching Admon,
    both take a whole lot of shots where I suck oxygen, especially when they dribble around quite a bit to find a shot and dont seem to be looking to pass,
    followed by relief when they make as many as they do,
    and their assist lines are decent at the end of the game generally speaking, per minutes played

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The transfer bar was set very high by the likes of Goss and Mathews. Gilder isn't on that level, but he isn't a liability either.

To me, this is a rebuild/transition year and the team is doing much, much better than I expected. Especially with how it is perceived by the national media. There are a half dozen Zag squads in the last ten years that I would consider to be significantly better than this year's squad with the remainders at least slightly better. Kispert would not be the second best player on any of them. Then again, Tillie would not be healthy either. They are proving me wrong though. I'll pass final judgement after post season.
    Lets just wait till the seasons over before we do a true comparison...

It's not a fair comparison between Goss and Gilder.

Goss had a redshirt year at Gonzaga to learn the system and jell with the other players. The team was set with veterans and a great incoming class.

Gilder came in not playing for a whole season filling in on a team that lost 4 starters. I think he's doing a great job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

C’mon. Goss was levels better, in every way. He was a Wooden if he didn’t bail. No knock Gilder, a very nice player who’s closer to Jordan and Wesley in impact.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Címon. Goss was levels better, in every way. He was a Wooden if he didnít bail. No knock Gilder, a very nice player whoís closer to Jordan and Wesley in impact.
    I didn't say who was better, I stated it was a poor comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I didn't say who was better, I stated it was a poor comparison.

I’m responding to the thread, not you.

Just to refresh memories, Norvell in NCAA elimination games was 4-16 v FSU and 3-11 v TT. Gilder should be able to beat that.
    Every NCAA (tourney) game is an "NCAA elimination game".

Norvell played in 7 of them and shot 21/58 from 3, which is 36.2%, less than 1% off his average both seasons. That included clutch late game shots in wins vs tOSU, FSU, and UNCG.

Gilder might end up shooting even better than that, but don't play semantic tricks to make it look like Norvell's worst games were the "elimination" ones. He might have prevented elimination in earlier rounds.

Nice feature article on Admon via Jackson Frank at The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/1541302/2020...rce=dailyemail

“Coach (Mark) Few’s been hard on him over the last couple of months. He wants him to be a leader. Admon’s not a really outspoken guy. He’s pretty quiet. But he’s stepping up to the challenge now,” Corey Kispert said. “I don’t think he’s received that kind of coaching from anybody before at Texas A&M. He’s playing really well and responding to adversity.”

“That was probably one of Admon’s better games of the year, if not the best,” Few said. “He got back to playing like an athlete. He was attacking the rim. He was athletically making plays on defense, poking balls away. He dug out some big rebounds. When he plays like that, we’re a different team.”

I’m responding to the thread, not you.
    Where in the thread did somebody compare him to Goss? And yes Goss was much better but still nobody on this thread compared the two.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Every NCAA (tourney) game is an "NCAA elimination game".

Norvell played in 7 of them and shot 21/58 from 3, which is 36.2%, less than 1% off his average both seasons. That included clutch late game shots in wins vs tOSU, FSU, and UNCG.

Gilder might end up shooting even better than that, but don't play semantic tricks to make it look like Norvell's worst games were the "elimination" ones. He might have prevented elimination in earlier rounds.
    Clever. But the 2 games I cited were in fact the 2 ELIMINATING games in his career. He stunk.

Nice game by Gilder last night -- keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    He has been playing on one good leg since losing his battle with the slippery floor in the Bahamas (the same slippery floor that cost UNC Cole Anthony).

I'm flat out thrilled that Admon is tough enough to contribute as much as he has recently .... and am hopeful of his health continuing to improve so that the Gilder we see the last 5-6 games of the season is the same Gilder we saw in the first 5-6 games this season.

But please ... don't let me stop you from posting meaningless comparisons of what a healthy, two legged Admon Gilder could do vs this year's version.
    Great post. I think we're beginning to see what Admon Gilder looks like with two healthy legs. Wow! 18 points off the bench. To have a player like him coming in off the bench is invaluable. And we're only at the half-way point of the season, and we are now beginning to see what we believed in the beginning of the season that we had. His game last night was just AWEsome, IMO. Those steals were really something that I just love seeing. And he is now attacking the basket with a lot of confidence. He made some awesome shots last night doing just that, and shot 8-8 from the foul line.

I don't need to attack any of the doubters, Admon's game last night says it all, I believe.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Iím very happy for Admon to string some good games together. He is looking like the guy people talked about in the off-season. If I were him, I might have some friendly words with Ayayi for sharking the ball he tapped away on defense and only laying it in. If he is going to take his steals, he at least should have the common decency to thunder down a dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Great post. I think we're beginning to see what Admon Gilder looks like with two healthy legs. Wow! 18 points off the bench. To have a player like him coming in off the bench is invaluable. And we're only at the half-way point of the season, and we are now beginning to see what we believed in the beginning of the season that we had. His game last night was just AWEsome, IMO. Those steals were really something that I just love seeing. And he is now attacking the basket with a lot of confidence. He made some awesome shots last night doing just that, and shot 8-8 from the foul line.

I don't need to attack any of the doubters, Admon's game last night says it all, I believe.

Go Zags!!!
    I will say that I was a quasi-doubter who was hoping the injury was the excuse for the relative lack of contributions from this highly touted, experienced player. Iím very happy heís working (worked?) through this

Does anybody have a link to the video of Admon and Pavel playing the Whisper Game? It's been played at the MAC a couple times during games. Admon has one of the most joyful gut laughs I've ever heard and his great personality really comes through during the brief video.