Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs San Diego Post Game thoughts and Media Coverage

Default Gonzaga vs San Diego Post Game thoughts and Media Coverage

Gonzaga 94
    San Diego 50

We did it. Great defensive. Zags show that they can play defense as they held San Diego to 16 first half points. Good to see. Also free throw shooting was really fantastic too as they shot 73.7% 14-19. So the two areas we were hoping to see improvement we did see them.

The offense was also really good as the scored 94 points. That's great on the Road.The Zags shot 42% from behind the arc. Ayayi led the team with 20 points and also gathered 7 rebounds. Gilder continues to score off the bench as he had 12 points , and 5-6 from the free throw line. Petrusev had a double double with 17 points and 10 rebounds. I thought Kispert played solid, shooting 50% from behind the arc, and 2-3 from the free throw line. He only scored ten points but did NOT force shots at all. He's becoming a very good passer too. He had 4 assists. I also liked Timme's game as he got 8 points 7 rebounds and 4 assists off the bench. I am really liking his game a lot. Watson looked a whole lot better tonight, and got alot of playing timer. My guess is that he played at least 20 minutes. If he can keep this up it's really going to help the Zags. He managed to get 4 points, but his contribution is on defense and passing, as well as rebounding. It didn't look like his shoulder was bothering him at all. He got 5 rebounds along with 2 steals.

The Zags most likely would have scored 110 points if Few hadn't taken the starters out with about 7 minutes to go in the game. I hate to say this but Gonzaga did let up in the second half. I really wish they could concentrate for a whole 40 minutes. They are going to need that kind of focus along the way.

Next up is Loyola Marymount Saturday.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Killian picked a great night to have an off night from the field. His body language reflected the missed shots.

He and Filip have developed some chemistry in the high low game they play.

USD sucks

Eyewitness. Yes USD is simply terrible. But some nice play from newbies Watty and Timme were highlights for me. Left at 12m mark in 2d half. Even among his talented teammates Watty stands out as a force, especially on D. If he’s 95% Zags are so much better.

What surprises me is that USD is ranked 109th on adjusted Defense on KenPom. 109th is really good for a team in last place in their conference. I would not say that a team who is ranked that high on defense in the country is compared to a Junior High team. Yes Gonzaga made them look terrible but maybe a big part of that is how good Gonzaga is on offense. Yet, Gonzaga made their D look bad. The Zags could have scored 110 tonight. I'm really impressed with the Zags ability to score.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Zag D rattled USD. Zags also shot the ball well. Zags did well enough it was a mismatch.
    Boy, hard telling which Zag will be high scorer in a game. It was good to see the bench do well.
    Think we’ll see a repeat @ LMU.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

- the biggest take away for me was the clear step forward Watson made in this game, compared to the past several games
    - played 16 minutes, around twice what he has been playing in the past several games.
    - to keep my inner good feeling, I'm gonna hope and believe he has turned a first corner, and will continue to improve and work himself back to the impact player he was in his first few games.

Almost any team could play good defense against USD. This defense we played tonight is no feather in our cap/ Offense was good though. Good to see some bench players get some work in. Watson looked to me to still favor his left arm. Timme is looking much more comfortable...Good player though. Joel was just magnificent. It's a superior offensive team. No 1. I imagine there will be a repeat against LMU. Then comes Santa Clara, BYU SMC. We'll know more with those games.

Zags' KenPom defensive rating improved post-game despite USD's awful offensive rating going into this game. It demonstrates their defense was clearly above what would just be accounted for playing a bad offensive team in this game. Above and beyond.

I don't doubt that the Zags' defensive performance will continue to improve. Per Ayayi's post-game interview, it's clear that defense is a major point of focus now. The fortunate thing is that the offense is so good, that minor defensive improvements go a long way. When you have a fast horse, you don't need to slow down the other horse as much.

Fairly glowing recap here ......
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401175240

Coach had kudos for the team .....
    With a smothering defense opening the way for a high-powered offensive show, the Zags raced to a 53-16 halftime lead.

"That was probably as good as our attention to detail has been with our scouting plan and reports and what we're trying to do defensively, so the guys deserve a lot of credit," coach Mark Few said.
    More praise at the link.

More good stuff from the S-R. Especially some Petrusev chatter

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ew-to-analyze/

Dickau added his thoughts early, and Filip Petrusev was the deserving target. As San Diego (7-11, 0-3 WCC) used too much time in a possession, leading to 6-foot-10 Belarus native Yauhen Massalski having to fake and attack the rim (he didn’t beat the shot clock).
    Petrusev bit on the fake. And Dickau pointed it out, as well as noticing some ball-screen issues and slow rotations.
    “Petrusev has got to be better with his details,” he said. “Closing out to a nonshooter with the shot clock winding down. Jumps for a shot fake.”
    You could almost hear Dickau shaking his head.
    But, Filip did have 17 points in 15 mins
    I’ll bet Petrusev improves steadily on D - no reason he won’t as he’s at GU

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Eyewitness. Yes USD is simply terrible. But some nice play from newbies Watty and Timme were highlights for me. Left at 12m mark in 2d half. Even among his talented teammates Watty stands out as a force, especially on D. If he’s 95% Zags are so much better.
    First time Watson has looked like himself in a long time. If he is 95% healthy this team has a much bigger margin for error. So much fun watching his athleticism, looks like the kid is feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    First time Watson has looked like himself in a long time. If he is 95% healthy this team has a much bigger margin for error. So much fun watching his athleticism, looks like the kid is feeling better.
    He just bounces around like Chuckles did. It’s so obvious his teammates realize how precocious he is. He stands apart when he’s healthy. But he did go to the shoulder a few times. Maybe just checking. Timme and Watty need to force that foul line jump shot. Ed Pinckney was at the game. Perhaps bird dogging for an NBA team.

Well that game helped the Zags jump to 55th in Defensive Efficiency
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I liked that Petrol only played 15 minutes, so he will be fresh and ready for tomorrow's afternoon game.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I liked that Petrol only played 15 minutes, so he will be fresh and ready for tomorrow's afternoon game.
    LMU is every bit as terrible as USD.

Scrimmage......AI...." We talking bout practice man....practice..."

That was easily our best game of the season in terms of execution. It was awesome to see the guys respond to the coaches in terms of paying attention to scheme and executing the game plan, especially compared to last week. It was good to see Anton show glimpses of what he was pre injury at the beginning of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    USD sucks
    I believe the term would be 'turrible'
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Too bad you weren't there to cheer on the walk ons. They deserve it too.

Default SSF: 10 Observations from the USD WIn

LINK: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...source=twitter

- There was a clear emphasis in the game plan to get the ball into the post as the bigs were consistently able to establish deep position against an overmatched USD front line. Another positive with this game plan is that with the emphasis on post opportunities, GU didn’t settle for many subpar shots on the perimeter.

- The Zags put on a clinic in transition basketball, not even relying solely on turnovers and fastbreak opportunities, but manufacturing quasi fast breaks after made baskets. What makes it work so well is that everyone is on the same page.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Default Jim Meehan's Game Story

LINK: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...tle-resistanc/

Gonzaga shut down San Diego’s Joey Calcaterra and Braun Hartfield, the guard tandem that averages a combined 26 points per game.

Woolridge defended Calcaterra, who scored one point in the first half. Kispert locked up Hartfield, who didn’t crack the scoring column until hitting a midrange jumper with 18:42 left in the second half.

“That was definitely part of the game plan,” Woolridge said. “Take those two out of the game and try to make their other players beat us.”

Calcaterra and Hartfield finished with 13 points on 5-of-19 shooting and six turnovers. The Toreros (7-11, 0-3) managed just six field goals and shot 23% in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Too bad you weren't there to cheer on the walk ons. They deserve it too.
    My wife is from Grinnell, but we’re not in Iowa anymore with San Diego traffic. But thanks for the thought.

Default Vince Grippi TV Take Feature

LINK:https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ew-to-analyze/

The early offensive foul call on Filip by zebra Kelly Self is spotlighted in Grippi's piece:

Less than a minute in, Petrusev caught a pass attacking the rim and scored while being banged by Marion Humphrey, who came from the corner and slid into the GU big in the restricted area.

Except Self called Petrusev for a charge. The Gonzaga center immediately pointed to the floor, rightly, and said something. And another official, Marques Pettigrew, also pointed out the same thing to Self. But the veteran, who is known for a technical foul call on Kansas’ Bill Self, no relation, a few years ago, shook his head and ignored the help.