Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs San Diego Post Game thoughts and Media Coverage

Default San Diego Union-Tribune

From the local fish wrap: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ranked-gonzaga

“They’re tremendous. Every year they’re going to be tremendous,” said USD head coach Sam Scholl. “They’re one of the best programs in the country. Not the West Coast. The country. It’s hard to put into words how impressive it is.”
    “To be honest with you, I don’t know who is No. 1. I really don’t,” said Gonzaga coach Mark Few. “I’ve said it before. I think it’s kind of a silly exercise right now in this current year.

“But other people put that on us and it’s an honor, and we need to live up to that honor. We need to play like we played tonight and respect that ranking, and hold ourselves to our standard.”

Default Associated Press Wire Story

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401175240

"That was probably as good as our attention to detail has been with our scouting plan and reports and what we're trying to do defensively, so the guys deserve a lot of credit," coach Mark Few said.

"It's important. When you're carrying that kind of ranking and that kind of whatever, you have to bring it. I don't necessarily think we did the first weekend of league, so they did a much better job of mentally preparing and going out and sticking with the plan."
    "That was the big point of emphasis because the last two games and before, we usually come out a little sloppy and not ready to play," Petrusev said. "We just wanted to play defense good at the beginning and just come out ready to play. We played physically from the beginning and just put it on them and like always offensively, just do great shots and take care of the ball. It worked out for us. I think it was one of the better games."

I agree. Execution at both ends and steals up the middle. They showed great intensity and hustle. Great game for all and Watson showed a start to recovery

Not exactly game related, but telecast related for certain. If anyone recorded the game, go back to the very, very start, when Heister, Fox and Dickau were still doing pregame. At the very start, first 30 seconds of the broadcast, you need to watch the two gentlemen in the background, getting to their seats and finally plopping down in their seats. Kind of amusing... Carry on.

#Noresistance

Kudos to Zags for still playing with intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    Not exactly game related, but telecast related for certain. If anyone recorded the game, go back to the very, very start, when Heister, Fox and Dickau were still doing pregame. At the very start, first 30 seconds of the broadcast, you need to watch the two gentlemen in the background, getting to their seats and finally plopping down in their seats. Kind of amusing... Carry on.
    I saw it. However, I did not find your level of humor in it, maybe because I am a senior myself. Although, in mind and spirit, I'm just turning 40

I saw them. More than likely they are season ticket holders; how else could they get seats in the first row. They looked bored, maybe they should become SDSU fans?
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

I was not "making fun of them", come on. Read my post. I am an old guy too, with aches, pains and creaks, if you knew me, you would know. Heck, for all it's worth, I could be one of those guys, but that's not the point. What I pointed out was no different than people watching at the airport, really didn't think it was that inappropriate to comment on it. Geez...

I was not "making fun of them", come on. Read my post. I am an old guy too, with aches, pains and creaks, if you knew me, you would know. Heck, for all it's worth, I could be one of those guys, but that's not the point. What I pointed out was no different than people watching at the airport, really didn't think it was that inappropriate to comment on it. Geez...
    I'm on board. My wife and I laugh at each other all the time in between groans and false starts out of our chairs. Funny stuff. And we're not even that old yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    I saw it. However, I did not find your level of humor in it, maybe because I am a senior myself. Although, in mind and spirit, I'm just turning 40
    Dang, live a little - go for 25 instead of 40 - works for me I feel guilty getting Senior discounts!

Back to Zags .... I notice that the refs have dialed back calling a few fouls this season. Not sure if it’s just the games I’ve watched or what but it seems like the refs are letting guys play more and blowing whistles less. Petrusev does the WTF w/ his hands/arms raised fairly often. As long as guys aren’t getting hurt it’s not been too much of an issue (that I’ve seen watching limited amounts of games). If it is a trend I sure hope teams/players don’t take advantage of it and create football on a wooden floor. I like watching basketball not basketbrawl.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Honk at old people...it keeps them involved....and it is fun to watch their reaction....

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    LINK:https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ew-to-analyze/

The early offensive foul call on Filip by zebra Kelly Self is spotlighted in Grippi's piece:
    I’m glad I don’t remember what Kelly Self looks like. He’s a joke and I don’t want to remember him for my own well being. As noted in the piece, he’s the same guy who appeared to be giving Petrusev a lecture at the foul line.

Did Heister laud the merits of his hairpiece during the broadcast??!! I wanted to make sure I didn’t imagine that...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Did Heister laud the merits of his hairpiece during the broadcast??!! I wanted to make sure I didn’t imagine that...
    He is just a *#$*....making fun of Dan because he didn't want to get his hair wet because it was raining.....all he ( Heister) had to do was shake the water out of his rug.. it makes no sense when he does WSU games he is pretty good...
    Last edited by LongIslandZagFan; 01-10-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Eyewitness. Yes USD is simply terrible. But some nice play from newbies Watty and Timme were highlights for me. Left at 12m mark in 2d half. Even among his talented teammates Watty stands out as a force, especially on D. If he’s 95% Zags are so much better.
    When Ref Kelly Self was addressing Filp early in the game (after Self made the questionable offensive charge call) was he "dressing him down" ? Several on this board and elsewhere described it that way. . .GU took him out of the game right after that. . .

Just curious.

When Ref Kelly Self was addressing Filp early in the game (after Self made the questionable offensive charge call) was he "dressing him down" ? Several on this board and elsewhere described it that way. . .GU took him out of the game right after that. . .

Just curious.
    No idea. But Filip grouses at the refs way too much in general. Nearly after every play last night. It’s not a good look. And his very limited PT last night may be a reflection of the staff’s dissatisfaction with that kind of comportment. Ed Pinckney was at the game, perhaps sizing up Petro or others. So Filip’s already an NBAer in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    No idea. But Filip grouses at the refs way too much in general. Nearly after every play last night. It’s not a good look. And his very limited PT last night may be a reflection of the staff’s dissatisfaction with that kind of comportment. Ed Pinckney was at the game, perhaps sizing up Petro or others. So Filip’s already an NBAer in that respect.
    Pinckney probably said "he already complains to the refs like he is in the NBA"... check mark in notebook.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

When Ref Kelly Self was addressing Filp early in the game (after Self made the questionable offensive charge call) was he "dressing him down" ? Several on this board and elsewhere described it that way. . .Just curious.

Looked that way to me. And if I am not mistaken he was holding up the game while doing it (as FP was standing at the line waiting to shoot a FT), which makes it totally inappropriate IMO.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Looked that way to me. And if I am not mistaken he was holding up the game while doing it (as FP was standing at the line waiting to shoot a FT), which makes it totally inappropriate IMO.
    The ref was singing to Petro ......
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

One more thing I just caught, so if anyone has an idea, let me know. At the 14:43 Mark in the first half, Ayayi gets a steal and scores a left handed layup
    Time out is called. Going back to the GU bench, who is the tall white guy, in GU gear, that is on the floor giving 5's to the guys coming off the floor? You'll see him follow Arlauskas (sp?) as the team huddles up. Behind Ballo. He looks to be maybe 6'11" thin, but tall. Who is that guy?

One more thing I just caught, so if anyone has an idea, let me know. At the 14:43 Mark in the first half, Ayayi gets a steal and scores a left handed layup
    Time out is called. Going back to the GU bench, who is the tall white guy, in GU gear, that is on the floor giving 5's to the guys coming off the floor? You'll see him follow Arlauskas (sp?) as the team huddles up. Behind Ballo. He looks to be maybe 6'11" thin, but tall. Who is that guy?
    I'm an idiot!!! Send me home! It's Pavel! I'll go to my corner.

Looks like Pavel Zakharov. Listed at 6' 11" 235.

I was glad to hear Heister point out that Joel Ayayi never looks tired. I’ve noticed that too. He has played so many minutes in so many games and I have waited for him to be pulled out just to get a rest but that never seems to happen.
    Parlez-vous français?

Regarding Pavel, the haircut fooled me! See? I'm just an old numbscull that is an avid GU fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I was glad to hear Heister point out that Joel Ayayi never looks tired. I’ve noticed that too. He has played so many minutes in so many games and I have waited for him to be pulled out just to get a rest but that never seems to happen.
    ...and Ayayi never looks hurried or worried. Dude has a calm cool confidence about him that I love. Like he knows something nobody else knows. Really hope we get to see him for one more season but I’m a lifelong fan regardless. #JoelCool
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1