Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have we forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    Good defense usually comes with more games played together...this team has so many new pieces that it will take some time for them to come together as a strong defensive unit....I believe they will get better as the season goes on.....more worried about the FT shooting, which will cost important games in March!
    Woolridge did hit two to ice the Arizona game. And Gilder hit two with seconds left to ice the Pepperdine game. Petrusev is the guy who's hurting us the most, and I would think he'd be a good shooter. I would place him behind Karnowski right now, and PK did improve his FT shooting while at Gonzaga; so I think Petrusev can too. Who with Karno?

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Defense in first half looked pretty good. Have to take it with a couple grains of salt as USD looked like a CYO team

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Defense in first half looked pretty good. Have to take it with a couple grains of salt as USD looked like a CYO team
    Zags look good on defense with Watson and Tillie healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagSwag View Post
    As it stands, based on the most reliable source for team analytics (KenPom), we are the #64 ranked defense in the country... Here's how Gonzaga has finished in that category in recent years:

2019: #12
    2018: #18
    2017: #1
    2016: #27
    2015: #16
    2014: #18
    2013: #30
    2012: #33
    2011: #44
    2010: #63

It's pretty clear that objectively (as of now) this is the worst defense we have had over the last decade, and to be fair it isn't even close. Not to say we can't improve by year-end but boy it looks rough thus far.
    You've listed "end of year" numbers and the Zags are half way through this year. In the past, the Zags have been in the 70's at this point and finished in the teen's. An example is the 10 point "jump" made just last night.

There's a lot of basketball to be played. Things aren't all "doom and gloom".

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    You've listed "end of year" numbers and the Zags are half way through this year. In the past, the Zags have been in the 70's at this point and finished in the teen's. An example is the 10 point "jump" made just last night.

Very good point, GoZags! Geeze you're sharp.

Oh! By the way, did anyone notice that the Zags shot 73% from the free throw line. Do ya think they've been working on that too?

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

Agree completely, and firmly believe we will improve defensively as a group/team, as we continue to regain health, and Coaches focus on defensive principles as the conference schedule sets in.

Watson will help, the growth of Timme, Kispert continues to improve, and Woolridge/Gilder become healthier, etc.

Our primary issue is our leading scorer, maybe most efficient player offensively overall, is also our primary defender in the post and on ball screen hedging.

As much hope as I see for the group, he is a glaring weakness, and being absolutely picked on by a team with a gameplan. Not much optimism there...

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

It's my opinion that a team doesn't beat Arizona in their home arena unless you play dang good defense.
    Washington State (284th in Defense per Kenpom, & 2nd last place in the Pac12) beat Arizona @ Arizona by 14 points last season.

I believe Arizona had a win streak at home of 76 games against Out Of Conference teams. They are extremely difficult to beat there.
    Your belief is contradicted by reality, since Arizona lost a home game to Baylor last season. Their home-court win streak against Non-Pac-12 teams (a strange metric to start with) was 12 games and less than 1 calendar year. They also had to rally in order to get a 2pt win vs UC Davis Aggies.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...3-arizona.html

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Arizona lost a home game to Baylor last season. Their home-court win streak against Non-Pac-12 teams (a strange metric to start with) was 12 games and less than 1 calendar year. They also had to rally in order to get a 2pt win vs UC Davis Aggies.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...3-arizona.html
    Fixed it for ya

Wait...……...to end this....does anyone think we have a good defense???

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    We have a decent defense at times has shown to be good

Typical when you have 5 players learning the system learning the rules and learning to communicate
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

And they must improve. Or we go out early. I agree. No reason to praise the defense right now though. Any and every team can look good once in a while. Our numbers just don't define a good defense. Consistency is the mark of a very good team. Hope we improve.

Yes I do. We just held San Diego to 16 first half points. I'm not sure what motivates you Abe, but you seem to overlook the obvious. Zags ARE improving. Right now. Got it?

someone, I"ve forgotten said San Diego was like a CYO team. What an insult, and what stupidity, and yet no one calls him out for that kind of a statement. All depends who you are. San Diego is the 200 ranked teams in college basketball. They are ranked higher than 153 college team. And they have the 109th best defensive team. 109th. The ignorance on this forum blow me away.

KenPom doesn't . Most don't think so./. TO be clear though my eyes and the data generate my opinion. There is no "motivation." This defense won't get GU to a FF. Compare it to the past 5 years Rebs. Just doesn't stack up.

This thread makes the case that defense is weak and needs great improvement for a deep nat’l run. Coaches know it and there is time.

WCC may be improved, but the bottom half sucks. Conference is ranked eighth for a reason; when it reaches sixth, will re-evaluate. Not holding my breath.

Zags would compete for first in the PAC-12. That doesn’t say much. They would likely get a NCAA invite in ANY conference. Review how deep the invites go. No place else that Zags would fit, and that’s not happening soon. (Perhaps a parting shot when Coach decides to hang ‘em up. Hmm, nice epitaph: from nowhere to national power to major conference.)

No one can deny that the Zags continue to be fun to watch and thrilling to root for. Thanks to all.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by TravelinZag; 01-11-2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Omitted words

Yes I do. We just held San Diego to 16 first half points. I'm not sure what motivates you Abe, but you seem to overlook the obvious. Zags ARE improving. Right now. Got it?

someone, I"ve forgotten said San Diego was like a CYO team. What an insult, and what stupidity, and yet no one calls him out for that kind of a statement. All depends who you are. San Diego is the 200 ranked teams in college basketball. They are ranked higher than 153 college team. And they have the 109th best defensive team. 109th. The ignorance on this forum blow me away.
    Everything is relative, Reborn. San Diego is not a good basketball team. According to kenpom there are 153 teams that are worse. That doesn't make San Diego a good team. It makes San Diego one of at least 154 bad teams.

Recognizing a team's limitations doesn't disqualify one from being just as ardent a fan as you are. This year's Gonzaga group won't be as good a defensive unit as the teams of the recent past. That doesn't mean they won't improve. It means with lots of work on that end and sustaining excellence on the offensive end, they will hopefully continue to surprise us and win a lot more games.

This year's college basketball landscape is one where ten to fifteen teams have a legit shot at the Final Four. The Zags are one of them but they have flaws like all the rest of them.

By the way, since we are speaking of defense here, I noticed you left out USD's offensive rating of 293 on kenpom. Stopping an offense rated that low is not what I would call a good measuring stick for the #1 ranked team in the country. But, that's just me. You know, one of THOSE people.

And they must improve. Or we go out early. I agree. No reason to praise the defense right now though. Any and every team can look good once in a while. Our numbers just don't define a good defense. Consistency is the mark of a very good team. Hope we improve.
    That is completely reasonable....the coaches know that.....maybe some of the players do....but in any case I expect them to improve....it might be that with so many new players the offense was a early priority.... it is a cliché but.....I believe it.... defense travels and wins championships...