Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga Back Home to Host Saint Mary's on Thursday at 6pm

I rewatched the game.....the Gaels had their opportunities they just couldn't hit....if they had been able to hit a half dozen more shots in the first half would the score have been different?

I always wonder is it the offense that's off of is the defense making them off?

last night its incredible to me that the Gaels only got 30 points out of actual shots and 19 other points were FT's.....a point is a point, true, but still, only 30 points?

oh, and I was right about some of the bogus fouls called........one play where the Gael actually pushed the Zag away with an elbow to the chest.....you know Laura Stockton would have been called for that, every single time....

also another missed call was the elbow to the neck where the Gael flattened our player.......it should have at least been looked at.....it doesn't matter if it was intentional or not.....

Congratulations to the Lady Zags Coaching Staff, Players and GU family... that was a great TEAM win.

A lot of things brought up about the game and I agree with most...

The game was solid in so many ways.

Just a couple of comments...
    First — the Wirth family was in town and sat near us... really cheered the team. Had to be really fun for the family to see such great play by Jenn and Lee and their teammates.
    Second — player management was great... in the second quarter (when SMC scored two points) watched a couple of minutes of the whole bench in at the same time. Ended up giving the bench lots of game experience and resting the starters for Saturday. I also think the second half was about player management.
    Last — I think the coaching staff needs Kudos... the players talked about how prepared they were. As I have said.. having control of the game and being able to adapt as the game changes is so important. And, I think CLF and her coaching staff have gained so much in their 5 years working together.

Lots of season left... with every game a challenge. Pacific is next and will need another game plan.

Go Zags!!

Very insightful Sylean,

In the first quarter SMC flat missed several wide open shots that they had not missed in their earlier WCC games. Had they made these shots and maintained their lead in the first or stayed much closer to the Zags, I don't think the outcome would have been different, but the game could have been much closer.

When an offense is not operating very effectively, most of the time it can be attributed to a great defense. For example, how many wide open lay-ups do we see missed because the shooter has been hammered on the previous three lay-up attempts. Once the defense gets in your head, the hoop seems to get smaller and smaller.

I hate to blame the officiating for any win or loss, just play the game. However last night was simply ridiculous. I won't complain about any of the fouls called on the Zags except for the foul on K-11 when she was trying to get away from Holland and Holland kept driving into her. K-11 was not even trying to stop the ball handler or steal the ball. I don't understand that call at all. The rest of the calls on the Zags I won't complain about. What I will say is that the officials almost called nothing under the Gaels basket and called everything under the Zags basket. While fouls were being committed under the Zags basket which were called, muggings were happening under the Gaels basket that were ignored. Very poor and inexcusable officiating, which certainly helped SMC win the 4th quarter. I don't care how you call the game, just call the game the same on both ends of the court. Rant over.

Four (4) WCC games in the books and the Zags are giving up an average of 47.75 ppg (and that includes the 26 point 1st quarter against Portland). Hard to win a game if you are only scoring 47.75 ppg.

The old adage reads, Offense wins games, Defense wins championships. At 47.75 ppg I think the Lady Zag defense is both winning games and hopefully leads to the championships.

Keep on Rock'in Ladies,

Pacific up next.

ZagDad

re the player management : it was surprising to me that LF got in so early....but she did good.....if we can claim 10 players that can play....and personally, I think Gillian would certainly give good minutes as well....but if we can substitute 10 players in and out, with some having just a short rotation, but able to play their roles, then its truly a gift......with the Truongs, with Mel and LF and Ava coming in at different times playing along with starters or bench players and able to assimilate......"team" is too light a word...and that's not even mentioning Eliza, who I understand is getting close to ready...

I just want consistency in reffing....if its a foul then its a foul for everybody....it could just be that we have incompetent refs and I hope its not bias against our program......our kids are good sports about it....

so happy for the Wirths to see their dtrs play.....Lee had 14 pts and 4 steals last night and Jenn stole the ball and went full court for a lay up......good times...

hope they enjoy the snow.....

I can't recall any player past or present that didn't have great family support.......its key.

Some thoughts to put a bow on Yesterday's game.

CLF is known as one of, if not the best, game planning coaches in the WCC and she showed it yesterday. Great game plan that the lady zags executed very well. Yesterday, the lady zags, in the first half, certainly exerted their will against SMC and showed which was the better team. Paul Thomas and the Gaels changed things up in the 2nd half by taking out a guard or combo player and bringing in a taller forward and occasionally two forwards and turning the game into a typical Gael-Zag rugby match. While St. Mary's won the 4th quarter (greatly assisted by the refs) all it proved was that St. Mary's starters were competitive against our #2s. Beware of the rematch down in Moraga which comes between BYU up here, and Pacific in Stockton. I think Coach Thomas will try and play 4 quarters of very physical rugby (I mean basketball).

As many have noted in their comments, all of the starters had good to great games. Four starters scored double digit points and JL who only scored 5 had 7 assists and 2 steals. Also noteworthy, were the 4 steals by LW and the 10 rebounds by JW.

While everybody played well, I want to point out the play by LF and AV. While LF hit one three pointer, she played much, much better defensively and looked like she belonged on the court. She looked very comfortable on both sides of the ball. She has put in a lot of time in the gym and the improvement shows. Great job. Similarly, AV looked a little slow and a little lost at the beginning of the season. The question was raised if the jump from NAIA to D-1 was too big for her. Yesterday, AV played great defense in the key, she played out on the perimeter, and provided a more physical and larger presence for the Gaels to try and push around. She provided a basket, a rebound and a block. You looked good out there AV. Hope we can get LF and AV a little more playing time in the near future.

Generally speaking, the ladies played the perimeter very well, playing just off the perimeter players so they did not get beat on the drive but were still close enough to contest the jump shot. As SMC players cut across the key, the lady zags stayed between the cutter and the ball handler, tipping the ball, stealing the ball and generally interrupting the Gael offense. One small issue was occasionally the help defense dropped down to stop the ball handler but rotated back out before the ball handler actually picked up her dribble. If you are going to provide the help defense, make sure the ball handler picks up her dribble before you rotate back out otherwise it is simply a lay-up. Overall, lady zag players played very well.

For those who thought we were going to slow the game down, here is a stat for you. Number of shots taken by the lady zags in conference this year; 49 (Portland), 55 (BYU), and 43 (San Diego). Care to take a guess on the number of shots the lady zags took last night...………………………………………………… go ahead I am waiting...……………………………………………….., try 70 shots yesterday. Nope, we did not slow the game down yesterday, just outhustled the team that wanted to speed us up. St. Mary's may want to rethink that game plan for game #2.

Offensively, Zags did really well. Realistically, you need to toss out the 4th quarter stats as most of the starters played very few minutes. Overall, the Zags shot 47.1% but were only 5-17 in the 4th quarter. They shot 52.8% for the first 3 quarters. Similarly, from 3 point range the zags only shot 33.3% for the game but they were 0-4 in the 4th quarter. Lady Zags shot 50% from 3 in the first 3 quarters. While Gonzaga had very few free throws in the game (8) and only shot 50% from the charity stripe. In the 4th quarter the lady zags went 0-3 from the free throw line so they shot 80% for the first 3 quarters. Maybe everybody's legs got tired in the 4th quarter, but we do need a little more production at the end of the game, whether by our starters or by our #2s.

The defense by the Lady Zags in their first (4) conference games (as well as the OOC season) should have opposing teams worried about how they are going to score. For the entire season, every win (except for Portland) has been a double digit victory. The lady zags, not only have been good, by far and away, they have been dominate.

Next step is Pacific.

Let's go Zags,

ZagDad