Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting graphic I put together showing our recruiting history

Default Interesting graphic I put together showing our recruiting history

So...I post this with a couple caveats... First, all of this data is from 247sports. There are some differences amongst all of the recruiting sites, but I have personally always preferred 247, so that's what I went with. Second, after creating this, I noticed that (for some very odd reason), we have a couple TRANFERS that didn't show up on here. I'm not sure why. Most noteworthy is probably NWG. I added him, just because he was a massive piece to that 2017 squad, obviously. Clarke did show up. But no Geno. Odd. ANYWAY....even with a few hiccups, this is still pretty interesting to look at, in my opinion.

LASTLY....OMG....how CRAZY is it to see how many of Gonzaga's best players rank BEHIND the original Biggs McGee...?!?!?! WOW.

Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Ugh. gonzagafan62 just pointed out, it also excludes Wesley, Matthews, Barham, Nunez....among (likely) others. Weird.

So anyway, most transfers not included on the list.

Dang 247sports is tainting my work.

Those are some fun graphics, thanks for pulling them out. Pretty amazing that 3 of our 10 highest ranked recruits ever are all coming in the same recruiting class.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

LOL @ Sabonis ... 200

SMH

I know that overseas kids are hard to evaluate... but 200?

Hey WooHoo!

Well done! I was going to ask about some of the missing transfers as well, but still, transfers would not account into any incoming class ranking. Thanks for the effort in putting that together.

They really whiffed on that 2016 class huh? #20? Psh!!!
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    LOL @ Sabonis ... 200

SMH

RIGHT! And Rui, ranked 31st for his position!! HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    Hey WooHoo!

Well done! I was going to ask about some of the missing transfers as well, but still, transfers would not account into any incoming class ranking. Thanks for the effort in putting that together.
    Yeah, weird. Barham, Nunez, Matthews, Wiltjer....all MIA from the transfer list. Ugh.

Have we never had a Top 10 recruiting class until now?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    LOL @ Sabonis ... 200

SMH

Take it with a huge grain of salt. This is an aggregated ranking and many services don't even rank internationals making international aggregated ranking completely meaningless.

They are starting to get a little better with internationals but it's nowhere near properly calibrated yet.

If Sabonis had played his HS ball in the US, Gonzaga would have almost certainly already had a consensus 5 star player.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Not technically but 2016 1000% was but internationals aren't properly ranked. (or ranked at all in many cases)

So we lose Tils, Gilder, and Woolridge, and they get replaced by Suggs, Harris, and Strawther. I'd say that's more than a lateral move. 2020-21 has the potential to be something great, but I'd like to see the non-conference schedule first.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Another one....why the flip is Elias not showing??

Okay. Worst list ever.

No Olynyk either.

I'd like to take this time to personally apologize for maybe the worst graphic ever. lol

Awesome work WooHoo, I love looking at this stuff.

Crazy to see how up and down our recruiting has been through the years. I think in 2016 we really turned a corner and the new players we have coming in can finally be considered elite in addition to being well known stateside. Before with all the international players it was clear the recruiting services had absolutely no idea the level of players we had coming in. Since that year we've had at least two players per class if not more turn out to be All American level studs. I have a feeling in a few years we'll be saying the same thing about these unreal 2019 and 2020 classes.

The future is bright Zag fans. Enjoy it.
    Last edited by hockeyzag; 01-07-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

No Olynyk either.

I'd like to take this time to personally apologize for maybe the worst graphic ever. lol
    There is nothing "worst" about this, Woohoo.

The "worst" is that the 2016 class is rated anywhere but one.

And I'd argue that any class with Nigel Williams-Goss as a transfer is a top 10 class for any school.

It is noteworthy how outside the "norm" we are with our recruiting. We bring in beasts like Sabonis and Rui ("Louis" per his twitter account) and they don't get anywhere near a fair evaluation.

Then we get 3 American kids that are all 4-5 stars and we're at 7. This class may be as good as we've ever had, certainly the highest ranked, but that 2016 class is amazing.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    There is nothing "worst" about this, Woohoo.

The "worst" is that the 2016 class is rated anywhere but one.

And I'd argue that any class with Nigel Williams-Goss as a transfer is a top 10 class for any school.

It is noteworthy how outside the "norm" we are with our recruiting. We bring in beasts like Sabonis and Rui ("Louis" per his twitter account) and they don't get anywhere near a fair evaluation.

Then we get 3 American kids that are all 4-5 stars and we're at 7. This class may be as good as we've ever had, certainly the highest ranked, but that 2016 class is amazing.
    Yup I get that NWG and JW3 we’re TECHNICALLY part of 2015 class going into 2016, but goodness. They definitely go into that 2016 class for me.

NWG, JW3, Rui, Tillie, Collins, Larsen, Norvell.... be hard to convince me that any class is better than that right there
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Pretty amazing transformation. To me, GU has been successful because they found a creative way to compete with the blue bloods. They knew they couldn't compete at first with the blue bloods in the US, so they found their niche in recruiting internationally. I'm not sure there is another college out there that has had the success recruiting internationally like GU. So when GU competes with the blue bloods for US recruits and continues to dominate the international recruiting, you have classes like 2020. I think it only goes up from here, and in my opinion GU will have an opportunity here in a few years to absolutely dominate college recruiting, especially with the elites soon being able to go straight to the NBA.

I like Manny Arop's ranking. #1 nationally!! Okay, it was the junior college ranking....

What I think that this information shows more than anything is that the speculation from the scouting services really doesn't mean much once they get to campus. The only things that matter from that point on are coaching, work ethics of the players and luck regarding injuries whether it be good or bad.

I'm still pinching myself when I see the five stars next to Suggs. I am so thankful for what Gonzaga gives us, both in a great product on the court every night, and in membership to the great fan base we're growing. Also crazy to note that 3 of the top 5 are either on the roster now or coming. Same goes for 5 of the top 10. Future is bright folks.

Go Zags.

While some of the international ratings may be off, sure doesn't hurt to show potential recruits what we did with the lowly rated Sabonis and Rui.

That is why Few and Co. are so special. They find potential and continue to develop the talent in spite of the noise of the media. Suggs is icing on the Zag fan cake! Thanks Mark Few...

Go Zags!

That took some time woohoo. I absolutely appreciate it.

Makes it obvious the progression to elite status is real.

Nope...there are some major college programs out there that need to have their feet held to the fire, i.e. how did the Zags achieve their success with such a dearth of ranked recruiting classes? This has nothing to do with the conference we play in, either. That argument is nothing but a weak canard, especially after 5 straight Sweet 16's.

If I'm an AD of a Power Conference school, I would make it a project to learn the "Gonzaga Way". OTOH, it would mean forcing your coach to reevaluate the way they do things...or, get another coach that knows the "Gonzaga Way", such as Brian Michaelson.

Tommy's not going anywhere.