Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 53

Thread: Interesting graphic I put together showing our recruiting history

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    838

    Default

    I think a lot of Gonzaga's recruiting success has to do with Tommy Lloyd being an absolute hustler and being a generally likeable guy who is comfortable, confident and happy with himself and makes others (recruits, parents) feel comfortable too.

    Tommy was the spark that lit the fire internationally and now it's paying dividends because the program has had success developing players and basketball people abroad in circles Tommy has reached think of Gonzaga when they think of NCAA USA basketball.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    No Olynyk either.



    I'd like to take this time to personally apologize for maybe the worst graphic ever. lol
    You know, if you say that Francis hacked your computer while you were snoring, the majority of the readers here would believe you.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,487

    Default

    some of these pictures are priceless. Well done sir.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,135

    Default Nice Work Woohoo

    I think this is outstanding, even if it does have a few missing people. Whatever.

    I had to laugh looking at the ratings for Ammo and Sabonis. Shows you what stock to put in ratings and that cuts both ways. I hope for great things from our incoming class, including Suggs, but we need to remember not to put too much stock in these ratings and too much pressure on the new kids once they show up.

    Also I thought the original Biggs was Bol Kong. Am I wrong?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    46,968

    Default

    Pretty sure Theo was the original Biggs McGee. . .

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,241

    Default

    One thing I wonder about:

    No question in my eyes that Sabonis would have been a 5 star had he come out of the U.S.

    Zach Collins was a 5 star that came from Las Vegas.

    I wonder if the foreign kids are willing to wait an extra year - helping us - rather than be "one and done" like American kids.

    There are not many kids foreign kids that would've rated 5 stars, maybe Karno.

    I suppose most are special cases.

    Hopefully we'll see how Suggs does with evolution of his game.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Pretty sure Theo was the original Biggs McGee. . .
    Theo was the original Biggs McGee.

    Mario Kasun was "The Croatian"

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Fantastic!!!

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,325

    Default

    Fun to look at! Interesting that they have Pargo as coming from Brooklyn, NY. I guess the Paul Robeson HS in Chicago closing down threw them off his trail.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  10. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Take it with a huge grain of salt. This is an aggregated ranking and many services don't even rank internationals making international aggregated ranking completely meaningless.

    They are starting to get a little better with internationals but it's nowhere near properly calibrated yet.

    If Sabonis had played his HS ball in the US, Gonzaga would have almost certainly already had a consensus 5 star player.
    247 had sabonis as 5 star and #26 overall

    247 is the only service that has actually made an honest effort to properly rank the internationals...in fact, they've sometimes recently gone too far in the other direction...arlauskas for instance, while i think will become a solid player, was imo over-ranked at #45, which was significantly higher than they had timme (#57).

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Thank you so much for putting this together gozagswoohoo. Pretty cool to read.

    I may be way off base but I think Jeremy Pargo is one of my favorite high rated US recruits during this run. Coming from a talent rich city of PG’s like Chicago. And a major US city outside of our region. Pargo brought something we had never had before. An Uber athletic PG. And he did great for us and had some run in the NBA. Seemed like he was the first high level recruit out of HS to commit to GU from outside our Pacific Northwest region. So he always feels like a trailblazer to me, like he took a chance on GU first before any other 4 star type player from a big city outside of PNW ever did. I always hold him in high regard for that. My son loved him. He had his jersey and wore it all the time. He is almost 22 years old now and is a college football player and he still has that #2 Pargo GU Jersey. My son is half black, and I think he really identified with Pargo. My son loved Morrison too lol haha. My son got to meet Pargo after a game, and take a pic with him. He still has photo. We waited around for about an hour after game because my son wanted to get Pargo autograph. All of the players came out to sign. But no Pargo. We waited forever. We were the last ones waiting in gym. Some equipment manager or something said to my son “who are you waiting for.” My son said Jeremy Pargo, the staffer said “he is getting treatment on a nagging injury he can’t come out tonight.” Of course my son looked dejected. The staffer said “wait let me see if I can get him to come meet you.” A few minutes later the staffer said “he will be out in a second let him just finish his treatment.” He sure enough came out and took photo and hugged my son etc etc. love me some Pargo

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Take it with a huge grain of salt. This is an aggregated ranking and many services don't even rank internationals making international aggregated ranking completely meaningless.

    They are starting to get a little better with internationals but it's nowhere near properly calibrated yet.

    If Sabonis had played his HS ball in the US, Gonzaga would have almost certainly already had a consensus 5 star player.
    Who knows if Zags even land him in that case. Oregon, Arizona, blue bloods, Northeast teams all come into play more if he plays State side.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    No Olynyk either.



    I'd like to take this time to personally apologize for maybe the worst graphic ever. lol
    I like this thread. Thanks for doing it. Hopefully it gets pinned to the top forever.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Fun graphic and well done Woohoo! That 2016 class will be tough to beat based on overall outcome and development. It’d be real interesting if someone went back and updated all these player rankings based on actual performance and outcome!

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Clair, MO
    Posts
    9,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    Thank you so much for putting this together gozagswoohoo. Pretty cool to read.

    I may be way off base but I think Jeremy Pargo is one of my favorite high rated US recruits during this run. Coming from a talent rich city of PG’s like Chicago. And a major US city outside of our region. Pargo brought something we had never had before. An Uber athletic PG. And he did great for us and had some run in the NBA. Seemed like he was the first high level recruit out of HS to commit to GU from outside our Pacific Northwest region. So he always feels like a trailblazer to me, like he took a chance on GU first before any other 4 star type player from a big city outside of PNW ever did. I always hold him in high regard for that. My son loved him. He had his jersey and wore it all the time. He is almost 22 years old now and is a college football player and he still has that #2 Pargo GU Jersey. My son is half black, and I think he really identified with Pargo. My son loved Morrison too lol haha. My son got to meet Pargo after a game, and take a pic with him. He still has photo. We waited around for about an hour after game because my son wanted to get Pargo autograph. All of the players came out to sign. But no Pargo. We waited forever. We were the last ones waiting in gym. Some equipment manager or something said to my son “who are you waiting for.” My son said Jeremy Pargo, the staffer said “he is getting treatment on a nagging injury he can’t come out tonight.” Of course my son looked dejected. The staffer said “wait let me see if I can get him to come meet you.” A few minutes later the staffer said “he will be out in a second let him just finish his treatment.” He sure enough came out and took photo and hugged my son etc etc. love me some Pargo

    Thank you for sharing!!!

    Totally agree with you on Pargo being a bit of a trailblazer for Gonzaga. We had never had anything like him before. He’s also one of my all-time favorites.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I think a lot of Gonzaga's recruiting success has to do with Tommy Lloyd being an absolute hustler and being a generally likeable guy who is comfortable, confident and happy with himself and makes others (recruits, parents) feel comfortable too.

    Tommy was the spark that lit the fire internationally and now it's paying dividends because the program has had success developing players and basketball people abroad in circles Tommy has reached think of Gonzaga when they think of NCAA USA basketball.


    Ronny Turiaf.
    Parlez-vous français?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,272

    Default

    Mario Kasum was the original Biggs McGee

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Mario Kasum was the original Biggs McGee
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...524#post793524
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...551#post793551

    Databases/emails were checked about 8 years ago .... Mario was "The Croatian" and Theo was the first "Bigs McGhee" ...

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Clair, MO
    Posts
    9,231

    Default

    Really glad that you guys enjoyed this graphic/info! Appreciate the kind words/feedback.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...524#post793524
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...551#post793551

    Databases/emails were checked about 8 years ago .... Mario was "The Croatian" and Theo was the first "Bigs McGhee" ...
    This is my clear memory as well, of Theo being Biggs McGee.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    13,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Another one....why the flip is Elias not showing??

    Okay. Worst list ever.
    lol man. loved it, thank you

    love me some Pargo too, what a cool story demian, thanks

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,228

    Default

    Super job WOO!! Thanks! Took some time!

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    So we lose Tils, Gilder, and Woolridge, and they get replaced by Suggs, Harris, and Strawther. I'd say that's more than a lateral move. 2020-21 has the potential to be something great, but I'd like to see the non-conference schedule first.
    Don't forget Ballo.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Mario Kasum was the original Biggs McGee
    Mario never played and didn’t help to spark the fire. Turiaf’s recruitment made a big impact on future recruiting. I met Mario and had occasion to remember the day I thought that someone special was on the way from the Caribbean.
    Parlez-vous français?

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...524#post793524
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...551#post793551

    Databases/emails were checked about 8 years ago .... Mario was "The Croatian" and Theo was the first "Bigs McGhee" ...
    Predates me.

    About 10 years ago, I fell right into the trap of asking; "Who is this Biggs McGee guy that we're recruiting," oblivious to the joke.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •