Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs San Diego - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Had a bit of free time on Saturday afternoon so I attended the Santa Clara-San Diego game. Toreros are very limited. I'd be surprised if the Zags don't score something very close to 100.

GU: 97
    USD:71

PS - SCU is another matter. They play hard, and have the usual physicality (reminiscent of Dick Davies' teams) you've come to expect. If the Broncos' shots are dropping, Zags might have their hands full.

Last 2 games should make me scale back my expectations a bit, but I will eschew temperance and hope for a return to our previous offensive prowess....

zags 93
    SD 63

Smile Now that's more like it!

The "We're No. 1!" Finger, a rhymed couplet
    (ahem)
    Energy Zags! Get outta your rut,
    Give SD the finger, and kick 'em in the butt!

_______
    Butt-Kickers - 91
    Kick-Receivers - 68

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenZag View Post
    Last 2 games should make me scale back my expectations a bit, but I will eschew temperance and hope for a return to our previous offensive prowess....
    Gesundheit! Try some chicken soup.

MY PREDICTION:

BULLDOGS 82
    TOREROS 63

Hope to see Zags with:
    ~ Under 10 TO's
    ~ No significant foul trouble (yet again)
    ~ Ayayi picking things up with a 12pt, 6 board (or better) outing
    ~ Filip with a dominant inside game on the order of 20 pts / 12 rebs / 3 blocks
    ~ No injuries or even aggravations of previous injuries
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Gesundheit! Try some chicken soup.

MY PREDICTION:

BULLDOGS 82
    TOREROS 63

Hope to see Zags with:
    ~ Under 10 TO's
    ~ No significant foul trouble (yet again)
    ~ Ayayi picking things up with a 12pt, 6 board (or better) outing
    ~ Filip with a dominant inside game on the order of 20 pts / 12 rebs / 3 blocks
    ~ No injuries or even aggravations of previous injuries
    For winter chills, I've found Jägermeister to have excellent medicinal properties.

- 80-59 zags,

- like everyone, hoping to see better team defense and better free throws.

- is it because of poor defense? but zags rate very high in limiting the number of free throw attempts by an opponent.

zags rate very high in limiting the number of free throw attempts by an opponent

It's good that we aren't fouling as much as earlier in the season.
    During the KY game tonight, the announcer said KY has shot 100 more free throws than their opponents and have made 108 more free throws than their opponents. WOW. The team is shooting well over 80%. So jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    zags rate very high in limiting the number of free throw attempts by an opponent

It's good that we aren't fouling as much as earlier in the season.
    During the KY game tonight, the announcer said KY has shot 100 more free throws than their opponents and have made 108 more free throws than their opponents. WOW. The team is shooting well over 80%. So jealous.
    kentucky doesn't shoot well from the perimeter so they pretty much have to attack the rim relentlessly...and they have the athletes to do it.

no score prediction for me...just hoping for a better performance than the past two, especially defensively.

If'n ya haven't made your prediction yet ....

No. 1 Gonzaga looks to extend streak vs San Diego
    https://www.kentucky.com/sports/article239070398.html

BOTTOM LINE: No. 1 Gonzaga looks for its 11th straight win in the head-to-head series over San Diego. Gonzaga has won by an average of 23 points in its last 10 wins over the Toreros. San Diego's last win in the series came on Feb. 22, 2014, a 69-66 win.
    DID YOU KNOW: The Gonzaga offense has scored 87.5 points per game, the highest figure in Division I. San Diego has only averaged 66.9 points per game, which ranks 239th nationally.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Zags 89
    Tereros 61

Go Zags - Beat the Tereros!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

GU 85
    USD 71
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

102-69

GU
    Last edited by Zaga; 01-09-2020 at 04:39 AM.

90-71 Bulldogs

GU 96
    SD 70

Go Zags ! Beat the Toreros.
    GU - 84 USD - 67

Team should be rested now after playing 3 games in 1 week. All I am hoping to see is some improvement on defense, particularly rotations, communication, and awareness.

That being said, Zags 82 Toreros 70

GU 85
    SD 70

Was fearful of not being able to watch the game so called th WCC office in San Bruno yesterday. All phone lines were disconnected!!! I really thought that was strange so I called the GU athletic department and they were extremely helpful and called San Bruno while I was on hold. Sure enough they couldn't get through either? Did they pack it in?
    I really hope I dont have to try to go through Facebook, that was a nightmare. Didn't work!!!
    Jazz, guess you wont have that problem!! I'm jealous!! Extreeeeemly jealous!

If San Diego is averaging 66-ish points per game why are posters spotting SD at 70-ish points? Is it the fast tempo of the Zags? Is it SD getting jacked to play a #1 team? Is it that posters think the Zags are that bad on D?

Signed, Perplexed in Chattaroy
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    If San Diego is averaging 66-ish points per game why are posters spotting SD at 70-ish points? Is it the fast tempo of the Zags? Is it SD getting jacked to play a #1 team? Is it that posters think the Zags are that bad on D?

Signed, Perplexed in Chattaroy
    USD is averaging .943 points per possession. They average 70.4 possessions a game. Hence 66.4 points per game.

Zags average 73 possessions per game. If the game is sped up to Zags pace and USD maintains their points per possession average , they would score 69 points on their 73 possessions.

Zags score 1.191 PPP so if the 73 possessions holds, Zags score 87.

So, 87-69 Zags.

Lots of other factors involved, but that's a simplistic way of looking at things.

Ltown would be proud of me.

Vegas has Zags at +15.5 and over under at 146 which translates to 82-65 if you want to go that way.

Nice logic Markburn1! No logic here just happy hunches.... our defense is a little tighter and our bunnies are dropping. Gonzaga 93, SD 62. Go Zags!

I close my eyes and imagine a blank screen and wait until i see a pretty clear score. If I like the numbers than I'll go with it. If not I'll erase the score and wait until I get another. I like my numbers to some how relate to the number 3, 7, 10,11 and 12. I like the other teams #'s to some how relate to 13, 8,9, 4,5 . It's quite a process. hahaha Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my rankings most games.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Us 84
    Them 62

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I close my eyes and imagine a blank screen and wait until i see a pretty clear score. If I like the numbers than I'll go with it. If not I'll erase the score and wait until I get another. I like my numbers to some how relate to the number 3, 7, 10,11 and 12. I like the other teams #'s to some how relate to 13, 8,9, 4,5 . It's quite a process. hahaha Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my rankings most games.

Go Zags!!!
    Numbers are funny things.

I have a grandson that is almost ten, Reborn. He got to choose his number for his soccer jersey. He picked 26. None of the athletes in my family ever wore that number. His dad asked him what caused him to choose it. He said the number two was blue and six was green. He explained that both numbers/colors made him calm and were “pleasing” to him. There’s actually a technical term for it. Synesthesia.

The kid is a remarkable sort. His interests are incredibly varied. It’s hard to keep up with him sometimes.

Dominance. Zags by 20 and more bench players get the call. We
    need to be building toward the tournament. Defense is key to nearly everything.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 01-09-2020 at 01:52 PM.