Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local coverage of Gonzaga MBB

Default Local coverage of Gonzaga MBB

While driving home tonight I tuned into 105.3 FM radio "the only FM sports radio I can pick up here in Coeurdalene " and the Patchen and Lukens show was on.

They were discussing the Jalen Suggs commitment. At first they talked about how highly rated of a recruit he was and then predictably concentrated the majority of their conversations on how he could be going pro. Both knowing less than the average Gonzaga basketball fan. It was exhausting to listen to the stupid scenarios they came up with.

Why does the sports personality's suck in the Spokane area? From the 3 amigos that call the games to the mind numbing radio personality on our local sports media its almost impossible to listen to. Occasionally they have Adam Morrison on to discuss the Zags but other than that they are uninformed and uneducated with current Zags news. You would think having a top college basketball team in Spokane would create a higher level of sports coverage.

Tom Hudson and Adam do a great job on the Zags radio broadcast. I wish they could do the tv broadcast.

Sorry for the rant!!!

Go Zags

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spokane is only the 70th largest media market out of 210 markets. It is what it is.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

I used to be in sports talk radio in Minnesota and Wisconsin and once interviewed in Seattle for KJR. I told them I liked the idea of working in Washington because I was a huge Zags fan. That pretty much clinched me not getting an offer, haha, but they did tell me that I should reach out to some Spokane radio people.

I looked into it, and honestly would have loved to get into it, but there weren't a lot of sports talk options, and of the ones I looked into at the time (like 10 years ago), they didn't seem to align with the heavily focused Zag talk that I would have been interested in doing.

Basically, if you want to cover the Zags, or any other specific team, you either need to write about them on the internet or do a podcast. Radio is a better venue to have deep sports conversation than TV, but to really have an intelligent conversation about a specific team, the only option is to have it with a very select audience through a niche podcast. You can imagine there is not a lot of money in that.

In short, if you really want to geek out on a team like the Zags, it honestly doesn't get any better than this board. Twitter can be interesting as well, but takes have to be pretty short and less people seem to want to participate.

Even for Zags podcasts, they only do them about once or twice a week for an hour or so each. The broader audiences can't handle a ton of in-depth sports conversation, and the more specific the content the more likely you are to alienate the majority of the audience. And of course radio is a business so it's always a battle to talk about things that draw in an audience. Unfortunately, that pretty much relegates sports talk radio to regurgitate all of the ESPN bottom line topics and recycle the main headlines hour after hour because most people only listen for short periods of time.

It's a lot of why I ultimately got out of sports talk radio. There are a very select amount of people interested in truly hearing an exploration of a topic like Jalen Suggs committing. I'm obsessed with it and have literally spent hundreds of hours following the recruitment in the past year. If I cracked open a microphone to talk about it on the radio in Spokane, they would probably give me at maximum a 15 minute segment to "break it down." That means I'd have to spend the other 2 hours and 45 minutes on my show talking about sports topics that I could care less about, like the tired "will Tom Brady retire?" conversation or the region specific minor league sports team that I couldn't care less about but we broadcast their games and the team pays to have their coach interviewed once a week.

So unfortunately, for whoever these guys Patchin and Lukens are, they probably don't really care about Gonzaga recruiting even close to as much as us. A quick look at their bios suggests they care a lot more about local high school football, Patchin probably reminisces about super old sports stuff a lot, and Lukens probably only sounds passionate when he's talking NFL football. The rest of the time they're probably just grinding out the news cycle and recycling whatever bits they like to trot out on a weekly basis.

The best fresh takes and in-depth Zags chat that comes from that station is probably coming from their interns and producers while they're texting their buddies during commercial breaks. The hosts probably lost all passion for creativity years ago but won't give up the airtime to the kids that know way more about today's sports than they do, which is probably smart because then people like you would be calling for them to take over as replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    I used to be in sports talk radio in Minnesota and Wisconsin and once interviewed in Seattle for KJR. I told them I liked the idea of working in Washington because I was a huge Zags fan. That pretty much clinched me not getting an offer, haha, but they did tell me that I should reach out to some Spokane radio people.

I looked into it, and honestly would have loved to get into it, but there weren't a lot of sports talk options, and of the ones I looked into at the time (like 10 years ago), they didn't seem to align with the heavily focused Zag talk that I would have been interested in doing.

Basically, if you want to cover the Zags, or any other specific team, you either need to write about them on the internet or do a podcast. Radio is a better venue to have deep sports conversation than TV, but to really have an intelligent conversation about a specific team, the only option is to have it with a very select audience through a niche podcast. You can imagine there is not a lot of money in that.

In short, if you really want to geek out on a team like the Zags, it honestly doesn't get any better than this board. Twitter can be interesting as well, but takes have to be pretty short and less people seem to want to participate.

Even for Zags podcasts, they only do them about once or twice a week for an hour or so each. The broader audiences can't handle a ton of in-depth sports conversation, and the more specific the content the more likely you are to alienate the majority of the audience. And of course radio is a business so it's always a battle to talk about things that draw in an audience. Unfortunately, that pretty much relegates sports talk radio to regurgitate all of the ESPN bottom line topics and recycle the main headlines hour after hour because most people only listen for short periods of time.

It's a lot of why I ultimately got out of sports talk radio. There are a very select amount of people interested in truly hearing an exploration of a topic like Jalen Suggs committing. I'm obsessed with it and have literally spent hundreds of hours following the recruitment in the past year. If I cracked open a microphone to talk about it on the radio in Spokane, they would probably give me at maximum a 15 minute segment to "break it down." That means I'd have to spend the other 2 hours and 45 minutes on my show talking about sports topics that I could care less about, like the tired "will Tom Brady retire?" conversation or the region specific minor league sports team that I couldn't care less about but we broadcast their games and the team pays to have their coach interviewed once a week.

So unfortunately, for whoever these guys Patchin and Lukens are, they probably don't really care about Gonzaga recruiting even close to as much as us. A quick look at their bios suggests they care a lot more about local high school football, Patchin probably reminisces about super old sports stuff a lot, and Lukens probably only sounds passionate when he's talking NFL football. The rest of the time they're probably just grinding out the news cycle and recycling whatever bits they like to trot out on a weekly basis.

The best fresh takes and in-depth Zags chat that comes from that station is probably coming from their interns and producers while they're texting their buddies during commercial breaks. The hosts probably lost all passion for creativity years ago but won't give up the airtime to the kids that know way more about today's sports than they do, which is probably smart because then people like you would be calling for them to take over as replacements.
    This is really good stuff.

You mentioned the Brady thing.

The fact is, unless you're in the SEC territory, the NFL will dominate everything else, no matter what time of year, from college basketball to golf. If one is SEC country, same thing, only college football replaces NFL.

And yes, just like anything, the bigger the market, the bigger the money, the superstars end up in LA, Houston, etc.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Thanks for the viewpoint from the radio side.

My expectations of professionals talking about their profession is just set to high. I'm not expecting a 24/7 report but it would be refreshing if they actually spent time finding the facts before talking about it.

I guess with the ease of gathering information on the web these guys can't bring a refreshing view to local sports. Kind of like reading the news paper or watching the news. Most tech savvy people have already seen it before they #plagiarize it in print or in broadcast.

Great post Hooray..! I dabble w listening to sports talk radio but always seems to be 50% ads; 45% absolute nonsense and silliness and 5% interesting interviews or commentary.

Hooray for you and our GUBoard community, despite our own nonsense % seemingly creeping up a bit but still less than 20%ish!!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    This is really good stuff.

You mentioned the Brady thing.

The fact is, unless you're in the SEC territory, the NFL will dominate everything else, no matter what time of year, from college basketball to golf. If one is SEC country, same thing, only college football replaces NFL.

And yes, just like anything, the bigger the market, the bigger the money, the superstars end up in LA, Houston, etc.
    You good sir have never lived in ACC country. There, the Sunday game schedule rules the world from when church starts and ends, the stores open and close, and so on. Moreover, who you root for or graduated from limits the color of the things you buy, the color You paint your house, your “Carolina Blue Ford/Chevy”, who you date/marry (can’t be from a rival school without dispensation), when you get married, how the season tickets will be part of your estate plan and who ends up with them, and so on. Your are correct about the SEC and football (I lived in states with both conferences) but ACC basketball fans take a backseat to nobody. And as much as I think Zag fans are passionate about their team, it does sometimes pale in comparison to ACC fans about basketball or SEC fans about football.

Is the Spokesman Review still in business....???

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Is the Spokesman Review still in business....???
    I actually think the Spokesman Review has excellent and comprehensive local sports coverage, Zags including.

Compared with general mid-sized newspapers across the country, it's a good publication.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I actually think the Spokesman Review has excellent and comprehensive local sports coverage, Zags including.

Compared with general mid-sized newspapers across the country, it's a good publication.
    I agree

Zags get way better coverage than any college team around here in DC. The Washington Post has significantly cut back its sports coverage. The Hoyas and Maryland get barely any coverage; George Washington, George Mason coverage is almost non-existent. It is impossible to get any high school coverage.

Sports radio here is about 70 percent Redskins, with the rest split pretty much between Nationals and Capitals. Barely any mention of college sports.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

It could be worse. Down here in North Texas, it’s 95% driven by the Dallas Cowboys. The remaining 5% is grudgingly accorded to the Mavericks, Rangers, Stars, SMU, TCU, and UT Arlington. The local papers cover HS football, and have beat writers for the pro teams.

I reached out to a couple of Dallas Morning News sportswriters, letting them know of the 3 North Texans playing for the #1 team in the country.

Never received any acknowledgement, though I’m not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It could be worse. Down here in North Texas, it’s 95% driven by the Dallas Cowboys. The remaining 5% is grudgingly accorded to the Mavericks, Rangers, Stars, SMU, TCU, and UT Arlington. The local papers cover HS football, and have beat writers for the pro teams.

I reached out to a couple of Dallas Morning News sportswriters, letting them know of the 3 North Texans playing for the #1 team in the country.

Never received any acknowledgement, though I’m not surprised.
    The primary reason Redskins coverage here is so light is because they are horrible and the Nationals and Capitals both won championships in the last couple of years and are good.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Patchin was the Voice of the Zag's before GU signed up with KHQ & Tom H. (a KHQ employee at the time) was hired, IIRC.

You can bet Patchin knows his Zag stuff. His radio show serves a different function.

Now YOU are informed & educated.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I really appreciate Jim Meehan and the Zag coverage the Spokesman-Review provides - so much that I have a paid online subscription ($9.99 a month) to provide some support for the Zag news they offer.

Shameful nobody has mentioned that we don't need talk radio. We have each other.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Unless you want to read about husky football. 3 pages of WSU, one buried column on the Huskies

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    I really appreciate Jim Meehan and the Zag coverage the Spokesman-Review provides - so much that I have a paid online subscription ($9.99 a month) to provide some support for the Zag news they offer.
    Me too!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Rob Sacre podcast ......
    Haven’t listened yet - gonna give it a go now:
    https://bleav.com/podcast/preview-episode/
    Warning .... on the Mark Few Show Rob said it was not G rated ....
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    You good sir have never lived in ACC country. There, the Sunday game schedule rules the world from when church starts and ends, the stores open and close, and so on. Moreover, who you root for or graduated from limits the color of the things you buy, the color You paint your house, your “Carolina Blue Ford/Chevy”, who you date/marry (can’t be from a rival school without dispensation), when you get married, how the season tickets will be part of your estate plan and who ends up with them, and so on. Your are correct about the SEC and football (I lived in states with both conferences) but ACC basketball fans take a backseat to nobody. And as much as I think Zag fans are passionate about their team, it does sometimes pale in comparison to ACC fans about basketball or SEC fans about football.
    I stand corrected.

Yes, in the ACC basketball sounds like it would dominate.

I imagine that the NFL still remains a huge presence.

In the SEC, college baseball rivals the attention that college basketball gets, as I'm sure you're aware.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I live in Salt Lake and still listen to the Press Box with Larry Weir podcast, and he regularly has Jim Meehan on. I also occasionally read some articles on line. Not bad reach for someone who hasn't lived in Spokane since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Patchin was the Voice of the Zag's before GU signed up with KHQ & Tom H. (a KHQ employee at the time) was hired, IIRC.

You can bet Patchin knows his Zag stuff. His radio show serves a different function.

Now YOU are informed & educated.
    I would disagree that Patchin or Leuken are all that knowledgeable about any sports team. If you listen to their show for a couple days, you will be shaking your head at what they say on a lot of the show. Sometimes it's almost like you local bar guy talking with emotion and no context. Not saying they don't know how sports work or players at the top of the pecking order, just not much in depth at all.

Sort of like the "good old days" are gone forever. Mike Lynch, RIP, a GU grad and Spokesman sports writer was in the south during Korea and he raved about the Dixie Classic and ACC hoops which was one of best college hoop tourneys every year. Then what happened to the old Far West Classic in Oregon which was tops hoop tourney. The change came with ESPN and national sports coverage and the East coast bias.
    Of course ACCESS is the answer. Until Roth and Few got GU access on ESPN it was hard for big time sports talk even knew about this Jesuit school. If Hank Anderson had not taken Zags and Frank Burgess on a eastern swing in 1959 in which Zags lost four to Bradley, Detroit, Manhattan and Providence, I don't believe Frank would ever had been selected All-American. (Frank shined on that tour and played against Johnny Egan, PU) It was the access to eastern media where they saw what a great player Burgess was. Didn't hurt that he lead the nation in scoring one year.
    But it is all about access and notoriety. So the Fitzgerald/Roth and Few programs that have given us access and respectability. We can't change Spokane and eastern Washington but Gonzaga has let the country know we are here and not going away. Yes Spokesman Review is doing a creditable job of covering our Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    I subscribe from October to April each season.

I think sports talk radio sucks in general everywhere. Even if it's in the market of a team you're passionate about, the hosts are too busy (or directed to by their bosses) trying to come up with the next "hot take", which they hope will rile people up enough to call in and argue with them - most of the time, I don't think they even believe what they're saying themselves. If it's in a market where you aren't passionate about the local teams, the topics and conversations can be downright boring. When I first moved down here, I listened to a station out of N California and somehow they manage to talk about the Kings year-round. If I do listen anymore, it's usually because I like the host/personality, or because there's nothing else on.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.