Thread: Gonzaga Early Look at 2020-21 Roster

Default Gonzaga Early Look at 2020-21 Roster

Gonzaga Basketball: Early look at Bulldogs 2020-21 roster with Jalen Suggs

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/01/...r-jalen-suggs/

Ayayi now in every reputable mock draft I have seen as a late 1st Rd pick.

In SI's latest -- updated 3 hrs ago -- he is pick #23.

Riding his FIBA & OOC performances...which were very good.

His last few games have been underperforming, by his new standards. Still filling stat sheet, yet his untimely shot selection, shot creation in halfcourt, and lazy passing has unbecoming of him in WCC play.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/01/07/nb...-james-wiseman

Norvell was projected as a late 1st Rd pick as well.

Will this be enough for Ayayi? Or does he work with an exciting young Championship type team next season and become a guaranteed lottery pick?

He is 19....what's the rush?

Have a hunch he takes a chance and a team promises him a pick as a developmental option late 1st/early 2nd.

Itd be way more fun leading the team next season, not to mention growing his guaranteed money (wish these young players understood difference between guaranteed money and just seeing $$$ and NBA, look at J3 or Norvell, offered big contracts they will see a fraction of as no guaranteed $ in place. Such a huge difference b/w 2nd Rd flier pick and locking in a guarantee in the Lottery).

We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Ayayi now in every reputable mock draft I have seen as late 1st Rd pick.

In SI's latest -- updated 3 hrs ago -- he is pick #25.

His last few games have been underperforming, by his new standards. Still filling stat sheet, yet his untimely shot selection, shot creation in halfcourt, and lazy passing has unbecoming of him in WCC play.

23 to be exact.

I'd be surprised if Ayayi is here next year.

Will this be enough for Ayayi? Or does he work with an exciting young Championship type team next season and become a guaranteed lottery pick?

Have a hunch he takes a chance and a team promises him a pick as a developmental option late 1st/early 2nd.

Itd be way more fun leading the team next season, not to mention growing his guaranteed money (wish these young players understood difference between guaranteed money and just seeing $$$ and NBA, look at J3 or Norvell, offered big contracts they will see a fraction of as no guaranteed $ in place. Such a huge difference b/w 2nd Rd flier pick and locking in a guarantee in the Lottery).

We shall see.
    All deals are guaranteed in the first round, not only lottery picks. Most of the first 10 picks of the second round end up with guaranteed deal too.

We shall see.
    I am not sure on how the SI projection is typically from an accuracy point of view, but I know the three I have followed in years past aren't listing him at all. At least as of a week ago. Regardless, I would fully expect him to go thru the draft process this year but I also expect that he will return next year to GU.

I think Ayayi is sticking around for another year. His thin body really isn't ready for the NBA unless he bulks up really quickly.

Best case scenario is that Ayayi and Petro both come back. If thats the case, I think this is our starting roster and we would be ranked in top 3 pre-season

Suggs
    Ayayi
    Kispert
    Watson or Timme
    Petro

Worst case is Ayayi and Petro both leave. Top 15 pre-season

Suggs
    Grad transfer/ Dom
    Kispert
    Watson
    Timme

The prognosticators need to decide if the NBA drafts on Potential or Performance.

If it is potential, Ayayi and Petrusev are probably gone, especially if Petru can find his 3 pt stroke. If it is performance based, they should be back.

I would not be too surprised to see Ballo start. I know nothing but the hype I have read here, but he is a true center and the other bigs are forwards.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The prognosticators need to decide if the NBA drafts on Potential or Performance.

If it is potential, Ayayi and Petrusev are probably gone, especially if Petru can find his 3 pt stroke. If it is performance based, they should be back.

I would not be too surprised to see Ballo start. I know nothing but the hype I have read here, but he is a true center and the other bigs are forwards.
    Potential.

Collins didn't have an NBA-ready body. Jaden Mcdaniels at UW doesn't have an NBA ready body and he'll be a lottery pick.

People here should not need to like, or desire for a situation where the NBA drafts primarily on potential to accept the evidence which overwhelmingly suggests that the most of the draft is based on potential.

If Paolo Banchero or (pick random freakishly athletic and tall 15yr old somewhere in the USA) were draft eligible this year, that person would be drafted well ahead of proven elite college players like Cassius Winston or Myles Powell or Kerry Blackshear or Udoka Azabuke.

Suggs/Grad transfer
    Ayayi/Harris
    Kispert/Strawther
    Watson/Timme
    Ballo/Petrusev

Not our most 'experienced" lineup, yet in terms of dangerous, mismatches, & deep run in NCAA's, I view this is our best, toughest, most versatile lineup.

Petrusev has earned it this season, is a terrific player, yet he will have to prove it next season. Obviously he is most skilled, yet in terms of nearly zero defense, hit or miss rebounding, inconsistent FT shooting, and forcing shots vs players his size, well he will have to earn the starting nod if he sticks around. Given his limitations, yet terrific scoring ability and skill, I view Petrusev the perfect bench big on an ELITE, Championship caliber team, however, I believe he goes pro this year. His belief in himself is off the charts. He considers himself the #1 option on the best team in the country, yet who can argue.

FWIW, Ballo supposedly a really solid FT shooter and stout defender. Not to mention, he is beasting guys in practice this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I am not sure on how the SI projection is typically from an accuracy point of view, but I know the three I have followed in years past aren't listing him at all. At least as of a week ago. Regardless, I would fully expect him to go thru the draft process this year but I also expect that he will return next year to GU.
    I too am hoping Joel tests the waters only this year but returns for 2020-21. I’m assuming Petrusev will go pro. He is the go to scorer for Zags this season and seems unlikely to have better opportunity to impress the pros then he is getting right now. Kispert?...he may need 2020-21 to prove he can be a consistent shooter.

Really hope Ayayi and Kispert return. Need some experience and maturity to lead all the 2020-21 freshmen and sophomores along the path of what it means to be a Zag!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

It would be SO huge if Suggs had a VETERAN, experienced, mature, battle-tested PG to play alongside/behind next year. I just think that could be really important.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Half the season is left. More later. I do think it’ll be hard to keep Filip with us if he continues 17/8. I do not know the strength of the draft. Might be too early to know.