Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AP Poll - 1/6/20 - Gonzaga Moves Up To #16

Default AP Poll - 1/6/20 - Gonzaga Moves Up To #16

Quite a bit more movement this week than last week.

#23 Miami, #24 Minnesota and #25 Texas all fell out of the Poll.

#22 South Dakota, #24 Michigan and #25 Princeton entered (or re-entered) this weeks poll.

The biggest drops within the poll were Florida State which fell from#8 to #11 after their first loss and Maryland which fell from #12 to #17 after their 3rd loss of the year to unranked Northwestern.

The Pac-12 has 4 of the top 8 AP ranked teams.

Not counting #1 UConn, there are now five (5) non-P5 teams ranked in this weeks AP Top-25 poll; #15 Depaul, #16 Gonzaga, #20 Missouri State, #22 South Dakota & #25 Princeton.

Let's keep the ship heading in the right direction.

Go Zags,

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 01-06-2020 at 11:59 AM.

From the Slipper Still Fits:

Gonzaga Finally Rises to No. 16
    All it took was a couple of road games (and a loss).
    By Peter Woodburn@wernies Jan 6, 2020, 1:48pm EST

The Gonzaga Bulldogs women’s basketball team finally got the adoration they have long deserved for winning so many games in a row, rising to No. 16 in the latest AP Poll.

The Zags had been mired at No. 17 for weeks, as much of the top 25 hadn’t lost a game. Finally, the dam broke with Maryland falling, opening up the pathway needed for the Zags to move up one spot.
    It also helped that Gonzaga embarked on a difficult stretch of conference play. The Zags went on the road last week to handily defeat the BYU Cougars, a big win considering BYU defeated Gonzaga three times last season. The Zags followed up that win with another solid victory on the road against San Diego.

There is still more room to do some AP damage this week. Gonzaga hosts Saint Mary’s on Thursday, and a win there will provide the voters with another quality win to look at. As it stands now, Gonzaga has won 12-straight, and is seven points from being an undefeated team.
    Article Link: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...etball-ap-poll

ZagDad

Gonzaga continues to climb the ladder as the Lady zags move up to #15 in this week's USAToday Coaches Poll...

USAToday Women’s Basketball Coaches Poll ~ 1/7/20

ESPN Women's College Basketball Rankings - Week 10

granted, its still early..........but I don't think even the NCAA would deny a team rated at 16 or above two home games.....well, they could....just look at their super secret way of letting some transfers play right away..

Rankings (AP or USA Today/Coaches) have little to nothing to do with the NCAA Selection committee.

If you are a mid-major, there is no comfort in being ranked say 13-16 and have any confidence in hosting. If you want to host as a mid-major, I would suggest an AP ranking of 10-12 would probably ensure that you would probably host, assuming your RPI and SOS are commiserate with your AP ranking.

Lots of time to go and for those teams ranked above the lady zags to lose and lose more than once. The lady zags just have to take care of their business if they want to host, the rest will work itself out.

ZagDad

ZD... question.

Do they look at regions.. to spread out the first 16 locations? With UCLA, Stanford, O and Oregon St. in the top 10, have they used up the far west?

Go Zags!!

Latest NCAA Women's Basketball RPI Rankings Link

Note the teams which have played so few games on the road (either: 1, 2 or 3) so far and have chosen to just sit at home...

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    ZD... question.

Do they look at regions.. to spread out the first 16 locations? With UCLA, Stanford, O and Oregon St. in the top 10, have they used up the far west?

Go Zags!!
    I wish I could say with 100% honesty and knowledge that the answer is no, but if it can be used as an excuse to keep a mid-major out of hosting, it could be a tie breaker. On the bright side, Charlie Crème, ESPN's bracketologist, currently shows five (5) teams hosting in the West; UCLA, Stanford, UO, Oregon St and Gonzaga, so he obviously feels that the selection committee could have that many teams in the West hosting.

Remember the reason for going to the Top-16 seeds hosting model was to reward the Top 16 seeds for a great season (plus they want the Top 16 seeds to advance) AND, they were tired of extremely poor attendance at the first two rounds of the tournament when the sites were up for bid. They figured if the home team was present at home, the attendance would be reasonable for the first two rounds. Last year the lady zags averaged 5,625 for every home game which ranked 12th in total home attendance in the country. This year the Lady Zags are averaging 5,630 fans for every home game. The other factor is that Gonzaga currently ranks second in the nation in percent attendance capacity at 93.18 percent capacity. That looks really good on TV. If you put 7,000 fans in a 20,000 seat arena, it does not translate well to TV. So that is a factor in the lady zags favor.

Another thing in the Lady Zags favor is that UCLA, Stanford, UO and Oregon St will have to play each other twice in the regular season plus the possibility of a 3rd time in the conference tournament. If they all split during the regular season, this would give each of them 3 loses plus the losses that Stanford and UO already have. If the Lady Zags win out and only have 1 loss to Stanford at the farm, I don't see a Pac-12 team with 4 losses, hosting over a 1 loss Zag team. Both teams could host, but I don't see that as a reason that the Lady Zags would not host.

Just win baby,

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I wish I could say with 100% honesty and knowledge that the answer is no, but if it can be used as an excuse to keep a mid-major out of hosting, it could be a tie breaker. On the bright side, Charlie Crème, ESPN's bracketologist, currently shows five (5) teams hosting in the West; UCLA, Stanford, UO, Oregon St and Gonzaga, so he obviously feels that the selection committee could have that many teams in the West hosting.

Remember the reason for going to the Top-16 seeds hosting model was to reward the Top 16 seeds for a great season (plus they want the Top 16 seeds to advance) AND, they were tired of extremely poor attendance at the first two rounds of the tournament when the sites were up for bid. They figured if the home team was present at home, the attendance would be reasonable for the first two rounds. Last year the lady zags averaged 5,625 for every home game which ranked 12th in total home attendance in the country. This year the Lady Zags are averaging 5,630 fans for every home game. The other factor is that Gonzaga currently ranks second in the nation in percent attendance capacity at 93.18 percent capacity. That looks really good on TV. If you put 7,000 fans in a 20,000 seat arena, it does not translate well to TV. So that is a factor in the lady zags favor.

Another thing in the Lady Zags favor is that UCLA, Stanford, UO and Oregon St will have to play each other twice in the regular season plus the possibility of a 3rd time in the conference tournament. If they all split during the regular season, this would give each of them 3 loses plus the losses that Stanford and UO already have. If the Lady Zags win out and only have 1 loss to Stanford at the farm, I don't see a Pac-12 team with 4 losses, hosting over a 1 loss Zag team. Both teams could host, but I don't see that as a reason that the Lady Zags would not host.

Just win baby,

Go Zags,

ZagDad
    Pac 12 has an unbalanced schedule. Somehow UCLA hit the lottery and only plays the Oregon schools and Stanford once each. The other 3 play each other twice each.

Thanks for the correction SeaCat.

I don't have the attendance numbers for this year, but when you look at last year's attendance and the team's that were in the top 16 in attendance (remember GU was at #12), the following teams that were in the top 16 in attendance will almost certainly not host this year based on their current record (unless they somehow won out):
    - Iowa State (#3)
    - Notre Dame (#6)
    - Tennessee (#7)
    - Iowa (#9)
    - Purdue (#10)
    - Minnesota (#14)
    - Michigan State (#15)

If the Lady Zags get to the point of hosting, when compared to the teams they are fighting with for the hosting rights, they almost certainly would be in the Top 16 in home attendance and in the top 5 in percentage full of total capacity.

The ladies have a big task ahead, but I really do think that it is in their hands to lose. Win out and they will host, lose once and it becomes very tight, lose 2 and you are likely done with any hope of hosting.

ZagDad

Michigan's stay in the polls is going to be short. They immediately lost to Ohio St.

NC State is in some trouble. They were up by at least 13 but now are trailing North Carolina in the 4th quarter.

#1 UConn is in a battle w/ #6 Baylor. Bears have led much of the game but it's close.

Oh, and Florida St. has been trailing Georgia Tech just about the whole game, and it's at home.

#1, #9 and #11 are all in serious trouble late in their games.

Baylor turned a close game into a bit of rout down the stretch, beat UConn 74-58 @ UConn. Will be a new #1 in the next poll. NC State and Florida St., both lost, Maryland is trailing at half. This could be upset Thursday.

Down goes #17 Maryland to unranked Iowa.

Chennedy Carter got hurt and #10 Texas A&M might be about to lose to LSU. This has been a night of carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Down goes #17 Maryland to unranked Iowa.
    Maryland out rebounds Iowa 59 (with 38 offensive) to 35 but still only shoots 31% from the field...

Maryland out scored Iowa 40 to 18 in the paint and still lose by 5...

The Lady Terps have been disappointing this year...

I think of interest to zag fans is that by my count, 3 teams ahead of us lost tonite....

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I think of interest to zag fans is that by my count, 3 teams ahead of us lost tonite....
    Actually four (4) teams ahead of us in the poll lost tonight:

#1 UConn lost to #6 Baylor.
    #9 NC State lost to unranked North Carolina
    #10 Texas A&M lost to unranked LSU
    #11 Florida State lost to unranked Georgia Tech.

Don't know that FSU or Texas A&M will drop below the lady zags with just these losses, but we should be much closer to them then we were last week. One more loss and we should jump some of these teams if we continue to win.

Interesting that when Baylor beat UConn tonight it ended UConn's 98 home game winning streak, 1 short of their D-1 record. UConn had not lost at home since 2013. Way to go Bears.

Behind us in the AP rankings, several teams lost tonight:
    #17 Maryland lost to unranked Iowa
    #21 Arkansas lost to #4 South Carolina
    #24 Michigan lost to unranked Ohio State.

Lots of Pac-12 games tomorrow and on Sunday. Some chances for upsets the rest of the where we might move up.

Let's go zags,

ZagDad

well, our girls did their part......

Missouri St. w/ their first showdown against Drake tonight. MSU up 10 after first quarter. They are hosting this one.

Down goes #2 Oregon @ Arizona St. How many times have #1 and #2 lost on back to back nights?

Missouri St. in trouble now, down 65-58 w/ 3 1/2 minutes left.

Ladybears now down but shockingly Oregon after having a 10/12 point lead late in the 3rd have now LOST......actually I am not surprised.....these "elite" teams sometimes believe their own press clippings and unranked teams just go for it.....Stanford could very well loose a couple of games, hope not......look at Uconn.....

I really don't think we need the "elite"teams to loose for us to advance in the rankings...we really need the number 10/11/12 teams to loose....

After watching part of the Baylor - UConn game, I would much rather play UConn or Oregon than Baylor.

Baylor is absolutely huge and athletic in their frontcourt and if you sag into the key, they had one of their guards hit 14 3's in a single game.

They would be a match-up nightmare.

Nope, no sir, don't want to see Baylor until the NC game.

ZagDad