Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Thru Injury ( Watson Done For Year )

Question Playing Thru Injury ( Watson Done For Year )

I'm not even in the ballpark of being a doctor, so can someone explain why exactly Watson is even allowed to play, considering the state of his shoulder? Few indicated just a couple of games ago that Watson's shoulder had popped out during the game and this isn't the first time this season. Aren't you pretty much risking further injury by not shutting down/getting surgery? I understand the need for depth, but I can't possibly see how that could trump Watson's health needs.

Great question.

Answers unlikely.
    Parlez-vous français?

If Spokane had a inquiring media they would be asking some legitimate questions.....don't hold your breath....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    If Spokane had a inquiring media they would be asking some legitimate questions.....don't hold your breath....
    Not just the media not asking questions. Specific answers regarding extent of injuries and expectations are seldom forthcoming from basketball staff. Would be a slippery slope once you start talking too openly about medical issues. If Anton wants to share it, that's a different matter but likely the players are "urged" not to discuss either. Just my thoughts, I'm not a doctor. Nor have I played one on tv.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

There are legitimate questions and appropriate answers …… slippery slope arguments are false logic..... intended to avoid the current discussion by proposing that it will inevitably lead to the most improbable conclusion.....begging the issue ….

There are legitimate questions and appropriate answers …… slippery slope arguments are false logic..... intended to avoid the current discussion by proposing that it will inevitably lead to the most improbable conclusion.....begging the issue ….
    Yes, the key is "appropriate answers" to the "il"-legitimate questions that could/would be asked. Fielding questions after a game at an open press conference could be problematic ... instead release a brief statement either written or via the weekly "Mark Few Show" to control the narrative.
    —Kurt Vonnegut

A press release is IMHO the best way to control the message....Jazz would know .....but a coach or a player can always say no comment...or I won't comment on that...this is childish....minor league bs....surely this thread will be locked by the bead clutchers …..

First of all, I firmly believe that Few would not play ANY player if it would hurt that players future. Come on! Few is perhaps the greatest coach in college basketball and is truly a loving, caring person. I'm sure that he is in constant contact with a doctor, and would never play anyone if the physician did not okay it. I am also sure that Few talks to Watson about all of this. Personally, I believe Few is managing Watson's minutes closely, game to game. Watson only played 6 minutes against Pepperdine.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

[QUOTE=bartruff1;1494638]A press release is IMHO the best way to control the message....Jazz would know .....but a coach or a player can always say no comment...or I won't comment on that...this is childish....minor league bs....surely this thread will be locked by the bead clutchers …..[/QUOTE]

LMAO
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I’m guessing that the calculus is, will surgery put me ahead of where I am now?

If surgery is a short enough recovery he might have it this spring, so his rehab over the summer, and be ready by fall. Surgery now likely puts him on the shelf for the rest of the year. Such being the case, he might not have much to lose by trying to play through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    First of all, I firmly believe that Few would not play ANY player if it would hurt that players future. Come on! Few is perhaps the greatest coach in college basketball and is truly a loving, caring person. I'm sure that he is in constant contact with a doctor, and would never play anyone if the physician did not okay it. I am also sure that Few talks to Watson about all of this. Personally, I believe Few is managing Watson's minutes closely, game to game. Watson only played 6 minutes against Pepperdine.
    Agree 110%

As others have pointed out and as many of us know, there aren't always easy, simple answers to health/injury issues. PT vs. surgery? Rest vs. pain management? I have no doubt coach and Anton are making what they think are the right/best decisions in light of the available information, but again sometimes what is the "right" course is a judgment call and may never be entirely clear, even after the fact.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

A press release is IMHO the best way to control the message....Jazz would know .....but a coach or a player can always say no comment...or I won't comment on that...this is childish....minor league bs....surely this thread will be locked by the bead clutchers …..
    Love it, bead clutchers. The phrase I’ve been hunting for years.

Based on Watson playing the last few games with the injury, I think we can assume that:

- Watson really wants to play (will play through pain)
    - The threat of of the injury ruining his career by playing is not that great
    - There's a chance of it improving while playing as the season goes on
    - A hurt Watson is better than a healthy Arlauskas/Zakharov

I think if any of these statements weren't true, they would shut him down and give him the maximum recovery time for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Based on Watson playing the last few games with the injury, I think we can assume that:

I think if any of these statements weren't true, they would shut him down and give him the maximum recovery time for next season.
    I wonder about the last point. How will we know that unless they actually give Arlauskas some time? I wish we'd give him some run and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    I wonder about the last point. How will we know that unless they actually give Arlauskas some time? I wish we'd give him some run and find out.
    It doesn't matter if we know whether Watson hurt is better than Arlauskas, the coaches know. Do you think Few should give Arlauskas 15 mpg the next 4 games so you can make an evaluation or do you think after watching him every day in practice for 3 months that the coaches might have a good idea who to play.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I'm not even in the ballpark of being a doctor, so can someone explain why exactly Watson is even allowed to play, considering the state of his shoulder? Few indicated just a couple of games ago that Watson's shoulder had popped out during the game and this isn't the first time this season. Aren't you pretty much risking further injury by not shutting down/getting surgery? I understand the need for depth, but I can't possibly see how that could trump Watson's health needs.
    :

Acronym that stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients' medical records and other health information provided to health plans, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.AA: Acronym that stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients' medical records and other health information provided to health plans, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.
    A law described above: HIPAA precludes discussing it. Ive seen Docs lose licenses over violations. Same with techs and nurses and administrators. It's none of our business but importantly it's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    :

Acronym that stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients' medical records and other health information provided to health plans, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.AA: Acronym that stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients' medical records and other health information provided to health plans, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.
    A law described above: HIPAA precludes discussing it. Ive seen Docs lose licenses over violations. Same with techs and nurses and administrators. It's none of our business but importantly it's the law.
    Thanks, Doc: So maybe now we can close this thread.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Today Coach K was on an ACC Coaches Media Call and addressed the following, according to ESPN:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said freshman Wendell Moore will have surgery Monday for a broken bone in his right hand.

It's unclear exactly how long Moore will be out for the second-ranked Blue Devils.

Speaking during the Atlantic Coast Conference coaches teleconference, Krzyzewski said the 6-foot-6 wing won't travel for Wednesday's game at Georgia Tech. He said the team would release a statement after the surgery to provide additional details.
    Perhaps this is an "apples & oranges" comparison ?

Now. . .where did I put those beads ?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    :

You misapply HIPAA again. If Watson is asked and answers himself, or if he lets the team or university answer, it’s not a HIPAA violation. Random people chatting and speculating online is not a HIPAA violation.

Most major college sports teams issue press releases regarding player injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    It doesn't matter if we know whether Watson hurt is better than Arlauskas, the coaches know. Do you think Few should give Arlauskas 15 mpg the next 4 games so you can make an evaluation or do you think after watching him every day in practice for 3 months that the coaches might have a good idea who to play.
    Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    You misapply HIPAA again. If Watson is asked and answers himself, or if he lets the team or university answer, it’s not a HIPAA violation. Random people chatting and speculating online is not a HIPAA violation.

As a health care provider it is a cardinal sin to violate HIPAA, so I see Doc’s apprehension. It seems that people with no medical licenses to lose can blab about persons injuries all they want, but— legalities aside— this also can be an ethical thing. If Doc hears something he cannot repeat it to us here, so it at least applies to him in this case.

In pro sports, I’m guessing players sign something that waves their right to privacy in this respect. An institution might face penalties for violating a person’s privacy by divulging this type of personal medical information but I have no idea on that.

The school might have to abide by FERPA, but I’m not sure.

If Spokane had a very aggressive media Few would likely have moved to some very plush sleepy town and make more with even fewer questions and lower expectations.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post

No offense, but that's damned sound for a guy wearing a tinfoil hat.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

Those bolded also don't know anything.

If Watson wants to share, he can, and/or he can allow the school/team to share.

HIPAA is concerned with the medical field and a patients rights, not fans wants.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post

In pro sports, I’m guessing players sign something that waves their right to privacy in this respect. An institution might face penalties for violating a person’s privacy by divulging this type of personal medical information but I have no idea on that.

The school might have to abide by FERPA, but I’m not sure.
    Many (maybe all?) ncaa sports teams have athletes sign similar consent and public information agreements.
    Otherwise they could risk a situation where a member of the team’s athletic staff cannot legally tell the coaches the condition of a player.