Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Playing Thru Injury ( Watson Done For Year )

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    As a health care provider it is a cardinal sin to violate HIPAA, so I see Doc’s apprehension. It seems that people with no medical licenses to lose can blab about persons injuries all they want, but— legalities aside— this also can be an ethical thing. If Doc hears something he cannot repeat it to us here, so it at least applies to him in this case.

In pro sports, I’m guessing players sign something that waves their right to privacy in this respect. An institution might face penalties for violating a person’s privacy by divulging this type of personal medical information but I have no idea on that.

The school might have to abide by FERPA, but I’m not sure.
    There was a recent NBA issue where a team made an erroneous announcement on their injured to play/not to play list.

I heard it on a radio show and was driving, but a particular player claimed that the team violated the spirit of the rule...maybe announcing him as probable when they knew he was not going to, or some such.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    If Spokane had a very aggressive media Few would likely have moved to some very plush sleepy town and make more with even fewer questions and lower expectations.
    LOL....Whatshisname said that years ago ….that Few would never take a high profile job because he couldn't take the scrutiny that comes with it....

I imagine that every day when he walks across the river he is glad he stayed in town....and that never discouraging word is Spokane....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 01-06-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    You misapply HIPAA again. If Watson is asked and answers himself, or if he lets the team or university answer, it’s not a HIPAA violation. Random people chatting and speculating online is not a HIPAA violation.

Most major college sports teams issue press releases regarding player injuries.
    No misapplication at all. The law is meant to protect patients. If the patient decide he or she doesn’t want that, of course they can blab their assets off. But what I wrote is the law. Perfect description. Why am I even bothering with ur nonsense!!??

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No misapplication at all. The law is meant to protect patients. If the patient decide he or she doesn’t want that, of course they can blab their assets off. But what I wrote is the law. Perfect description. Why am I even bothering with ur nonsense!!??

I’m not making any claims about your knowledge or interpretation of HIPAA as it relates in the general public or among children, but your claim that HIPAA is what prevents this ncaa team’s coaching staff from discussing player injuries to 18yr olds on the roster is not based in an understanding of the law. Coaches may go above and beyond privacy rules or be extra cautious or want an excuse to skip questions but they are not legally mandated to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    :
    A law described above: HIPAA precludes discussing it. Ive seen Docs lose licenses over violations. Same with techs and nurses and administrators. It's none of our business but importantly it's the law.

https://www.legalsportsreport.com/31...ports-betting/

Last edited by LTownZag; 01-06-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    LOL....Whatshisname said that years ago ….that Few would never take a high profile job because he couldn't take the scrutiny that comes with it....

I imagine that every day when he walks across the river he is glad he stayed in town....and that never discouraging word is Spokane....
    I wouldn't call it "not being able to take the scrutiny" - I suspect he can just fine. I was thinking more about the fact that he doesn't like to talk, period, scrutiny or praise. If he can get out of the duty, he seems to jump at the chance.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

I’m not making any claims about your knowledge or interpretation of HIPAA as it relates in the general public or among children, but your claim that it is what prevents this ncaa team’s coaching staff from discussing player injuries to 18yr olds on the roster is not based in an understanding of the law. Coaches may go above and beyond privacy rules or be extra cautious or want an excuse to skip questions but they are not legally mandated to do so.

https://www.legalsportsreport.com/31...ports-betting/
    My description is perfect. Extend it how you want. Thanks! Doesn’t matter anyway. The point is the point.

The Hippo didn't seem to mind telling us about Kevin's toe .. or Perkin's jaw.....or Tillies knee....or Karno's back... no one is suggesting that anyone should break the law or violate some ethical standard..... the red herrings are getting old....starting to stink.....

Bart= correct and they mean nothing for those who don’t want to waste time on brainless banter.

Default "Zags considering options with Watson. . ."

SOURCE: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...n-watsons-rec/

“It’s hard,” coach Mark Few said. “That was definitely one of the roughest collisions he’s had. We just have to get back home and let the medical people look at it and tell us what the best thing is moving forward.

“He’s super frustrated. He was good (vs. LMU), his minutes are so valuable to us because he’s different than what we have, so versatile and he has such a good feel for the game. He was really good (vs. San Diego on Thursday) so we have to see if we can keep managing it or not.”

Getting back to discussing the injury to Watson..... as someone who has dealt with a shoulder that pops in and out for 30 + years I can tell Watson that one of the most important things is to manage overall body inflammation. And I'm not talking about taking those crappy pharmaceutical drugs. I'm talking about eating anti-inflammatory foods such as salmon, fish in general, avocado, etc and stay away from dairy as much as possible. Dairy is a big one as it causes mucus buildup in the body that the body has to try and get rid of before it can really focus on the healing process.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I'm not even in the ballpark of being a doctor, so can someone explain why exactly Watson is even allowed to play, considering the state of his shoulder? Few indicated just a couple of games ago that Watson's shoulder had popped out during the game and this isn't the first time this season. Aren't you pretty much risking further injury by not shutting down/getting surgery? I understand the need for depth, but I can't possibly see how that could trump Watson's health needs.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A press release is IMHO the best way to control the message....Jazz would know .....but a coach or a player can always say no comment...or I won't comment on that...this is childish....minor league bs....surely this thread will be locked by the bead clutchers …..
    Heaven forbid we actually care about a) HIPPA issues b)FERPA issues. Talk trash about the mods all you want. What YOU want isn't always what is correct/proper/right. If I am a bead clutcher... then so be it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

HIPAA only applies to care providers who have a patient relationship and provide a billable service (even if not billed). Applies to the trainers, not the coach and clearly not this board.

If you had read my posts on this subject you would know that I am not asking anyone to break any law or any ethical standard so your implication that I don't "actually" care about HIPPA or FERPA is total nonsense....a straw man... your holier than thou attitude is unwarranted ...and a good example of bead clutching....

Other than that have a nice day....

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I think the mystery surrounding Anton's shoulder is even deeper than Brock Ravet's departure from the program.
    How is this a mystery. He has a shoulder issue that’s being addressed by medical professionals. The staff has stated as much. He wears a brace. He plays as much as he can given the issues.

No mystery there.

Or... maybe... just maybe people on this board feel entitled and feel that Few should just tell them what they want to know. And I love how not once, but twice you felt the need to insult the people who get paid SOOO much to help run this board and call us names. Not very becoming of you. BTW... let me know when we "locked" this thread... oh wait... you are still posting on it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Or... maybe... just maybe people on this board feel entitled and feel that Few should just tell them what they want to know. And I love how not once, but twice you felt the need to insult the people who get paid SOOO much to help run this board and call us names. Not very becoming of you. BTW... let me know when we "locked" this thread... oh wait... you are still posting on it.
    A thicker skin would help you deal with these outrageous attacks.........we were informed about Kevin's Toe.....Perkins Jaw …. Karno's back....Tillie's knee.....apparently that was all ethical and legal...as for locking the thread, I am doing my best...I have seen them locked for less...

A thicker skin would help you deal with these outrageous attacks.........we were informed about Kevin's Toe.....Perkins Jaw …. Karno's back....Tillie's knee.....apparently that was all ethical and legal...as for locking the thread, I am doing my best...
    Fine... whatever. Here is a simple answer for you. You want the information... go ask Mark. Let us know. Pretty simple. Otherwise stop griping about it. You are owed NOTHING.

Thanks for the advice....

Thanks for the advice....
    Let us know what the coaching staff says.

I think any and all criticism of Few in the Watson case is pure ignorance! If instead of his shoulder this was an ankle sprain NOBODY would be questioning his playing because ankle sprains are so common in basketball and almost never career threatening....Watson's shoulder may be nothing more than an "ankle sprain" of the shoulder and the it is possible the doctor's have assured all that there is no long term, career threatening problems here.
    Bottom line is that WE do not know enough of the facts about the situation to criticize anyone!!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    I think any and all criticism of Few in the Watson case is pure ignorance! If instead of his shoulder this was an ankle sprain NOBODY would be questioning his playing because ankle sprains are so common in basketball and almost never career threatening....Watson's shoulder may be nothing more than an "ankle sprain" of the shoulder and the it is possible the doctor's have assured all that there is no long term, career threatening problems here.
    Bottom line is that WE do not know enough of the facts about the situation to criticize anyone!!
    p.s. I also believe that if the doctor's did tell Few that Watson't injury could lead to some serious problems with his shoulder that Mark would NEVER play Anton no matter how much he begged to play! Isn't Woolridge playing with a couple of metal pins in his knee? which he has hit and re-injured a few times? Should we be more concerned about Ryan that we are for Anton? .... I am sure the doctor's have provided the same assurance to Few that Woolridge may experience pain at times but is not at risk for any long term problems!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

We aren’t even on a need to know basis— this is a want to know situation. His medical provider(s) have reputations and licenses that they could lose if they don’t do the right thing with Anton, so we should probably assume that this is being handled well. Similarly, the staff could face heat if this is handled improperly. I suspect that up to this point doing a surgery now would put him on the shelf for the rest of the year with little gain from doing it now (versus the offseason). He most likely wants to try to play this season. He looked pretty good the game before being blasted in the shoulder. This new injury could change everything but he was showing signs of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post

ig·​no·​rance | \ ˈig-n(ə-)rən(t)s \
    Definition of ignorance
    : the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

I mean, wasn't the point of this thread supposed to provide some knowledge, education, and/or awareness as to what the thinking with Watson is? Especially since my original post there was ANOTHER subluxation that occurred over the weekend.

And I don't mean people sneaking into his doctor's office and uploading his medical charts!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Let us know what the coaching staff says.
    I can't do that....it is a secret....You don't have a need to know....I would love to stay and visit but I need to go...thanks again for the advice...